Author Topic: Mac Mini  (Read 4069 times)

hdibrell

• View Profile
Mac Mini
« on: July 26, 2009, 04:55:44 PM »
After picking up Komplete 5 recently , I found that it wouldn't fit on my old G4. So I picked up a Mac mini the other day (after selling a piece of gear) to run my music programs on. It looks like it is going to be great. I will probably put all of my softsynths on there as well as hardware editors and my Kyma X software . Now I own 3 working computers in the studio. I still have my Dell Pentium 4 with Windows XP for email, work, Acid Pro 4 and various programs. I was going to sell the G4 tower, but I was thinking that I probably won't get much for it. I could keep it and just run Pro Tools on it. Anyone have any good ideas or is 3 computers just overkill?     Harry (just because I have 3 computers doesn't mean I know how to use them)
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 02:32:29 AM »
I'd say that if you are using them, keep them, unless you are able to streamline software down to 2 or cannibilise a couple into one box.

But then I know nothing about computers...

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:06:28 AM »
Generally I find that I can find some use for an older machine in my studio or office.  You just have to weigh the benefit you derive from having an extra machine for soft synths or something, versus what you'd get for selling the machine.  As you said, a G4 isn't going to be worth much, even if it's one of the later G4s.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 01:34:16 PM »
Generally I find that I can find some use for an older machine in my studio or office.  You just have to weigh the benefit you derive from having an extra machine for soft synths or something, versus what you'd get for selling the machine.  As you said, a G4 isn't going to be worth much, even if it's one of the later G4s.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I don't know what I will use it for right now, but I think I'll hold on to it for awhile and maybe I'll get a bright idea.. BTW, I still have my old Mac Plus from around 1983 or  '84  :o . I was using it until a couple of years ago to run some old software for my Emulator II until I sold the EII. So, holding onto things isn't a new thing for me. :)       Harry the packrat

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:40:54 PM »
I just VERY recently decommissioned my 2nd Mac, which was a Umax Mac clone.  Remember when Apple licensed 3rd parties to sell clones?  I guess that was about 1998.  I kept it around for a long time thinking "Maybe I'll need to run some OS8 software at some point" but that never really happened, because gradually all the OS8-only software I had came out in OSX versions.

I still have my G4 in the studio too, but it's modern enough to actually be useful for many things.  Still plenty of hard drive space, firewire, USB, 1gb ram.  I mean, it's not FAST by any means, but it works.  I just usually can't tear myself away from the Mac Pro, more due to the 30" cinema display, than the speed of the computer itself.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 08:57:31 PM »
I mean, it's not FAST by any means...
Neither am I.  :D     Harry

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 04:13:16 PM »
I built 2 new (were new) desktop PC's in the last 2 yrs (core 2 duo E6850 oc'd to 3.6Ghz 4Gb ram which is my DAW system, and an E8400 was oc'd to 3.6Ghz but dropped it back to stock, 2Gb ram) and I have plenty of disk space on both systems. I also have a laptop for remote music stuff when I remember to bring to my buddies as we both use Ableton Live. I then got a WHS (Windows Home Server) for backing up my desktops/laptop when they are on) as well as stream audio and eventually video when I figure out how to get the digital copies onto the system. I haven't put WMP11 onto the server yet. Still waiting on word at You Got Served site.

I was looking at the MBPro laptop but decided $2800 was too much for my wallet for a laptop. Also considered a Mac Mini too. Cute little thing and have gotten a bit more powerful with the last updates to them.

I use them all off/on. Don't plan on getting a new laptop anytime soon, but when I do it'll be a quad core ;-)

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 10:22:14 PM »
3 overkill? Not really. One is my main system (I am on now) which is mainly email/job searching/guild wars/vmware/etc, the other is mainly for music and I have Guild Wars on it as well in case this one goes down again as it did last year for a PSU problem. My laptop is my portable DAW with the same software (ableton live) and vst's installed (not mirror but has the NI stuff there too). I also have my WHS (windows home server) for backing up my systems when they are up, streaming my mp3's and working on trying to get it to stream digital copies of movies I bought to my PS3->HD LCD TV. That is the one stickler so far and I may end up having to rip the movies if what I am working on doesn't work.

The good thing of having the dual desktops was also that I had my VPN from my old job there too so I was able to work remotely when this one was down. I also try to do image backups every 1-2 wks on all 3 to external HDD's so I can restore if I hit a hardware problem. Mac's were cool but too costly IMHO for what I use my systems for plus no GW support on the MAC so that was out unless I ran a VM of sorts or did a dual boot setup. But it is a cool little box imho. But atm being out of work I can't purchase one for novelty/play with. I want the MAC OS that will run on Windows hardware to see if I can get it going in a VM.

Mike