Author Topic: I-Tunes lost my files!!! External HD suggestions?  (Read 6685 times)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
I-Tunes lost my files!!! External HD suggestions?
« on: August 18, 2009, 02:51:08 PM »
Grrr!!!!!   ??? >:(

I've got a couple hundred gigs of audio files, stored on an external drive (E), and backed up to a separate external drive (F).  Itunes is on the PC, and points to the external drive (E) - no audio files are on the computer's internal drive.  I share the files with other PC's in the house - it's very convenient, and works great...

Except that today, when I tried to access some files, they were missing...  The listings are there, but there is no actual audio file.  I checked the main music drive, and sure enough, about 25% of the files have vanished - it's down to about 150GB.  WTF?  I checked the last backup (8/13/09) and they're not there either.  I checked the previous backup from a week earlier, and there they are - so, I'm now restoring them from the backup drive (F) to the correct drive (E).

So what happened?  Is this common?  I haven't done anything different, and haven't changed any settings - am I the victim of Gremlins?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:46:22 AM by SunDummy »
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
Re: I-Tunes lost my files!!! Grrr!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 11:42:40 PM »
I'm not a fan of Itunes, but I have it.  Friends and family know I "like music" so they give me Itunes cards for my birthday, Christmas, etc.

Itunes hasn't done anything like that to me  --  I just find it difficult to use in general  --  but I have had hard disks fail.  Have you run "chkdsk" on the drive that lost the files?  (I'm assuming this is a Windows computer.)
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 07:51:50 AM »
Thanks cromag,

I've run chkdsk, and the drive seems fine.  It's strange - the folders are there, but there are no files in some of them.  This is all music that I ripped from my CD collection, so nothing's really 'lost', I can always re-rip anything that is missing from my backups - I just don't want to get everything put back, only to lose it again and again.

I'm starting to suspect that my backup software is somehow responsible - I've turned off the auto-backup, and I'll just do it manually for awhile to make sure everything's stable.

Frustrating!!!
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »
I'm starting to suspect that my backup software is somehow responsible - I've turned off the auto-backup, and I'll just do it manually for awhile to make sure everything's stable.

That would be my guess, too.  I'd also double check your Windows settings to make sure you're not automatically archiving files that haven't been opened in a while.

Forrest

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 02:33:14 PM »

That would be my guess, too.  I'd also double check your Windows settings to make sure you're not automatically archiving files that haven't been opened in a while.

Forrest

Ooh, good call...

www.sundummy.com

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »
Ok, seems like the drive is shot.

I copied all the backed-up files back to the music drive, then tried to make another backup from the music drive - this time, I lost almost 75% of the files.  Looks like the drive is shot.

Dammit!!!

www.sundummy.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 08:15:23 AM »
I was going to say... you could be losing more and more sectors on a failing drive.  People don't realize how often hard drives fail, but you don't have to worry (other than the bother of replacing the drive) because you were smart and backed everything up!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 09:35:28 AM »
I was going to say... you could be losing more and more sectors on a failing drive.  People don't realize how often hard drives fail, but you don't have to worry (other than the bother of replacing the drive) because you were smart and backed everything up!

Yeah, but my backup drive is the exact same model as the failing drive...   ::)

Looks like I need to get a new drive - I was using twin 750GB Western Digital drives.  Anybody have a favorite brand?  I'm now leery of WD...

www.sundummy.com

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Re: I-Tunes lost my files!!! External HD suggestions?
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 11:20:49 AM »
I'm just wondering how the two back-ups were affected, if you have it as external drives. That also confuses me. I also do the same thing for my music files, and so far it hasn't happened to me yet. My backup drive is a Seagate hard drive which I put in a usb HDD enclosure.

It's an older PC, with a small HD (80GB), so I kept the music on one external drive, and backed it up on the other - I had it set to do auto-backups weekly, since I am still adding files, and didn't want to do it manually.  Somewhere in the last few weeks, it went bad, so the backup of the failing drive was compromised too.  I let it keep three backups, so luckily, the older backup was still good - the other two were missing files.

I've been told that most external backup drives aren't designed for constant access, just backup - they apparently can't take the stress of constant reading/writing.  Sounds fishy to me, but then again, my drive IS failing...  
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 03:16:00 PM by SunDummy »

www.sundummy.com

ambient789

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 06:18:12 PM »

Yeah, but my backup drive is the exact same model as the failing drive...   ::)

Looks like I need to get a new drive - I was using twin 750GB Western Digital drives.  Anybody have a favorite brand?  I'm now leery of WD...

I understand that! I had a bad experience with WD too! Went bad after 2 years and I didn't have much on the drive! Went with Seagate after that. That drive isn't giving me trouble. I hope it lasts awhile.

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 07:58:16 AM »
I don't know other people's views but I love Seagate HD's...had 3 for over 5 years and still ticking away....

I'm just wondering how the two back-ups were affected, if you have it as external drives. That also confuses me. I also do the same thing for my music files, and so far it hasn't happened to me yet. My backup drive is a Seagate hard drive which I put in a usb HDD enclosure.

It's an older PC, with a small HD (80GB), so I kept the music on one external drive, and backed it up on the other - I had it set to do auto-backups weekly, since I am still adding files, and didn't want to do it manually.  Somewhere in the last few weeks, it went bad, so the backup of the failing drive was compromised too.  I let it keep three backups, so luckily, the older backup was still good - the other two were missing files.

I've been told that most external backup drives aren't designed for constant access, just backup - they apparently can't take the stress of constant reading/writing.  Sounds fishy to me, but then again, my drive IS failing...  
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 04:59:34 AM »
I prefer to buy an external drive case w/USB/Firewire ports and pop in what I think is a good deal on a large HD (1TB preferred, 750GB would do). I am not backing up my files since they are on my WHS box w/<3Tb storage atm and am not duplicating them. I ran into an issue with iTunes awhile back where it managed my files and MOVED stuff to the authors directory from the various artists dirs I had them all in previously. It's going to take me time to sit down and try and find all these damn artists and move them back in as I have since turned off having it manage my files. But I also use ITLU utility which is a library updater seeing iTunes is still braindead IMHO on updating its information after new files have been added. I can't believe that apple has yet to fix this product of thiers. If I could find something else to use that would be usable across all PC's for a library-type program I would but the WHS has an iTunes server as well as Twonky and something else I think.... I am running I think maxtors or WD's for now (I think the latter, I know the 1TB is a green WD drive).

Mike

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 09:45:09 AM »
I prefer to buy an external drive case w/USB/Firewire ports and pop in what I think is a good deal on a large HD (1TB preferred, 750GB would do). I am not backing up my files since they are on my WHS box w/<3Tb storage atm and am not duplicating them. I ran into an issue with iTunes awhile back where it managed my files and MOVED stuff to the authors directory from the various artists dirs I had them all in previously. It's going to take me time to sit down and try and find all these damn artists and move them back in as I have since turned off having it manage my files. But I also use ITLU utility which is a library updater seeing iTunes is still braindead IMHO on updating its information after new files have been added. I can't believe that apple has yet to fix this product of thiers. If I could find something else to use that would be usable across all PC's for a library-type program I would but the WHS has an iTunes server as well as Twonky and something else I think.... I am running I think maxtors or WD's for now (I think the latter, I know the 1TB is a green WD drive).

Mike

Itunes file management system sucks, that's for sure.  I looked at Twonky, but it appears to run the itunes database in the background, so what's the advantage?

www.sundummy.com

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 05:43:31 AM »
Not sure what advantage that has (on my WHS, it is an option though for media server) and I haven't looked into using it. One thing that is driving me nuts with my WHS is trying to get it to stream digital video copies from movies I have bought. I went and installed WMP11 to the WHS system, did what I found on net in regards to installing WMP11 but now it doesn't see any mp3's or won't play video (unsupported data type) so I'm fighting with that. Otherwise I have to find my ripping software (or buy a package) and rip the DVD's and eventually Blue-Ray whenever I get a Blue-Ray ROM in one of my desktops....

And I agree the iTunes file management sucks badly IMHO.

Mike

SunDummy

• View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 06:45:52 PM »
New setup:

New Dell PC dedicated music server, bare-bones, running 3GB ram w/350GB HD.  I added an internal 1TB drive, and will use that for the main storage, backing up to twin external WD 750GB drives.  Redundancy, redundancy, and... er... redundancy.   ;D

Wow, this system is sure faster than my old one!

www.sundummy.com

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 05:55:55 AM »
Another alternative is to use a docking station for SATA hard drives.

You can find the exact SATA hard drive that you prefer and can afford.

Fill it up via the docking station and then insert another one, just like a cartridge.

I have one by Masscool from NewEgg but there are many others.

http://www.masscool.com/products.php?pid=156

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817388022&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-External+Enclosure-_-MASSCOOL-_-17388022

drkappa

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »
All HDs fail.  People swear by or against different HD manufacturers.  Last year I did
an extensive survey of opinions for various suppliers and 750GB and 1TB drives, and
found conflicting opinions coloured by whether you're lucky or not with a given drive.
You may just have bought the Friday-afternoon lemon.  There are brands that have a
good reputation that still have problems, e.g. Seagate with bad firmware.  I think go
with one of the names, especially if there's some long-term warranty.  I went for the
full kit SATA 1TB, not OEM, as that has 5-years' warranty from Seagate, once I knew
the firmware had been fixed.  Several others were possible.   Note some models are
designed for video recorders, the green ones, rather than computers, trading speed
against power consumption.

Now that downloads are prevalent, people must take backups more seriously.  Storage
is relatively cheap now so there's little excuse there.  It's the time lost as well as the cost
of buying music again.  Photographs may not be recoverable.  I'm staggered how blase
people are with their data.   After losing some files while on holiday our bridge director
(a school teacher) said "I had a copy in a different folder." as if that was sufficient.
The concept of saving these files to an independent medium such as CD seemed quite
alien.  Some people can only learn the hard way.   I use rdiff-backup on Linux, but it is
available on Windows too, allowing you recover files at a given date, effectively storing
the increments.  I have a RAID-1 mirrored internal system using the 1Tb drives, backed-up
to a Drobo http://www.drobo.com/ robot currently with about 2TB of storage.   If
one  drive fails, I've not lost my files.  I have one spare drive should any of the existing
fail, and a spare slot too.  The only disadvantage  is that the Drobo is connected via USB,
and needs manual dismounting/mounting before/after a reboot.  I also have earlier
backups on a older external drive in a different place giving further redundancy of
older data.

How can you use systems that mess around with your file structure or impose directory
naming?  This is one reason why I refuse to use Windows.  These preset directories have
crept into Linux, trying to make the transition easier for Windowers.  At least you can
delete these and organise your files in the way you think (although I'd like to remove the
Desktop icon from various places).
Malcolm Currie
   If you have been...

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 02:40:12 PM »
Malcolm/drkappa is right.  The only "safe" hard drive is one that is fully backed-up on a regular basis.  I say if you need to store 1 TB worth of data, you need to buy at least 2 TB worth of hard drives.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 02:43:29 PM »
Raid system ... very wise.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans