Author Topic: New Groove releases (Ron Boots, Create, etc.)  (Read 2749 times)

drone on

• View Profile
New Groove releases (Ron Boots, Create, etc.)
« on: September 16, 2009, 12:15:10 AM »
Any Groove label fans here? I bought a couple of the new releases via Hypnos. Ron Boots' "Beyond the Boundaries of Twilight", has been in heavy rotation here.  If not the best thing he's ever done, it comes close.  Powerful, majestic, and beautiful from start to finish.  He really nailed it on this one.  Then there's "In the Blink of an Eye" by Create.  This was disappointing in that I like this artist's past work on Groove (thought "Spacetime Continuum" was excellent), but this album isn't very cohesive. More like a collection of tracks, and the Berlin-school sequences are good but nothing special.  If I had to grade it I'd give it a C+.  I also ordered "Lost on an Island of Adventure," which I'm hoping will be more satisfying.  There's a new Paul Ellis disc and Gert Emmens, which I also haven't heard yet...

Seren

• View Profile
Re: New Groove releases (Ron Boots, Create, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 01:36:17 AM »
Re Ron Boots - I highly recommend this; http://www.groove.nl/cd/g/gr2020.html

It's an Amplexus release swo only 23 mins I think but in beautiful artwork and on sale at present for 3.75........

drkappa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 06:40:30 PM »
Yes indeedy.   Thinking about it I do have many from Groove.  It must be nearly 50.

It started with the excellent Hemisphere in the EM-ambient area.  Then Frank van Bogaert,
Wavestar/John Dyson (try Evolution) and Eric van der Heijden for melodic EM.  I must
get the latest by John Dyson---it had been a long wait since his previous release.  I didn't see
it on the Groove table in Derby. :(

Moving to Berlin school I have some by Dom F. Scab and John Lakveet's Building Sequential
Sequences
, and the excellent Syndromeda. There are familiar names from Hypnos part of
the globe Craig Padilla, Paul EllisAlpha Wave Movement, and David Parsons
and Rudy Adrian from New Zealand.

Got the the Analog compilations in a sale, and as you might guess features a feast of analogue
EM by various artists.  Good retro EM.

I bought my first two by Create at Derby recently  In fact picking semi-randomly I selected the
two mentioned by drone on.  I like them both.  They have a mid-70s Tangerine Dream feel. 
More Mellotron please.  I'm planning  to buy others like From Earth to Mars, and wished I'd been
braver.  I did pick up a live VoLt CD too.  I was recommended Through the Rings but it
wasn't available.

Now I'm looking to try synth.nl, Astrogator, Gert Emmens amongst others.

It's only recently I've begun exploring Groovemeister Ron Boots large discography.  I only
had a couple of his CDs before Derby.  Of those bought there Beyond the Boundaries of Twilight
has had regular plays along with Area MovementScreaming Whispers has only had one
play thus far.  Performing with live drums by Harold van der Heijden  and F D Project on
guitar they generated a lot of resonant energy.  It sounded better live than on CD.  In contrast I'd
like to try Too many secrets  that's more ambient and the early ambient single noted by Seren.

If you like electronic music, Groove offers a wide variety of excellent CDs.  The only thing I say
against Groove is its pricing.  Its cheaper for me to buy Groove from Hypnos including the
airmail costs. :o  Check out the weekly Dreamscape radio http://dreamscape.groove.nl/
Ron plays a good mix including ambient from the likes of Oophoi and Robert Rich.
Malcolm Currie
   If you have been...

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 10:29:09 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts on Groove.  I've been a fan since about 1996 when they were still Cue Records.  So many great discs...

I'm glad Hypnos is stocking the label, with much lower prices than anyone else. 

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 12:05:09 AM »
Been a big fan of Ron Boots and dreamscape.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 10:52:05 AM »
A couple more excellent Groove releases picked up recently via ye olde Hypnos store:

Create-Lost on an Island of Adventure: this is a great disc full of "soft" Berlin-school atmospherics, with a moody, melancholy air.

Paul Ellis-The Last Hiding Place of Beauty: Another fantastic Ellis release, interesting mix of acoustic and electronic sounds.  Great melodic EM!

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 02:42:31 PM »
i love the groove label. ron and kees are good people and the music satisfies my need for berlin school activity.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

create

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 02:26:03 AM »
Thanks to those of you who having been buying and listening my Create Cd's! :D

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy In The Blink Of An Eye Drone On! :(

It just goes to show how people's tastes in music varies so much as i've had a lot of positive
comments about that disc.

I have just self-released a new Create album Words Just Get In The Way! :)

More info ordering in a seperate thread.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:28:00 AM by create »

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 08:25:07 AM »
I really like the Groove stuff myself. I seem to make one large order a year to catch up on all their releases.  Highlights have been, as mentioned, Ron Boots' releases, and Create is consitently among my favorites. Another artist to check out is Syndromeda. Syndromeda has releases on other labels in addiion to Groove.  I think Hypnos may have a few titles in stock too...?

J. 

drkappa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 07:21:46 PM »
Agree with Jesse.  Danny Budts aka Syndromeda makes some lovely pastoral
and atmospheric Berlin School.  Creatures from the Inner is my favourite of
the ten recordings I have.  There are samples of most his recordings on
http://www.musiczeit.com/directory.php?artist=95&title=Syndromeda
however they only last for a few seconds.  >:(
Malcolm Currie
   If you have been...