Author Topic: The ambient 'scene'  (Read 10335 times)

Shane Morris

• View Profile
Re: The ambient 'scene'
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »
Cheers Mike,  

I still think that the way people are coming across ambient music can be termed 'underground'.
People who don't 'follow the scene' can still pick up on ambient through Lastfm and MySpace for
example and people who like it already can listen to the Streaming radio stations and come across
new artists / material. Streaming radio shows like 'Drone Zone' and Stillstream are great for
artists (exposure) and listener (the aforementioned reasons) alike.

Then shows like Ultima Thule archive their shows as podcasts and then there's 'dedicated' ambient podcasts themselves. For an artist
its great to get this kind of exposure.

cheers
Pete

I love stillstream and dronezone and agree with you Pete...it is great for artist exposure.

Just wanted to add that we at electro-music.com/radio also feature live ambient radio programs (as well as other styles). We are not genre specific...but we do have an abundance of ambient artists and music on the site.

We also archive all of the radio programs for free download or listening later as well.

Listen: HERE

Radio Archives: HERE
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 11:01:59 AM by Shane Morris »

Premonition Factory

• View Profile
    • Premonition Factory
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2009, 03:38:44 PM »
Great topic, great posts. Let me introduce myself: 41, I'm a musician when not working, ambient lover, organizing small Ambient festivals here in Belgium and "active" in the ambient/experimental scene since 2007/2008. Familiar with the known ambient artists I've seen in this thread: Roach, Rich, Vidna, Oophoi etc. For me, it's difficult to say how the ambient scene "overall" is doing compared to the past because I'm not sure I'm 100% up to date with the latest ambient releases and developments. It's underground, difficult to discover, took me 2 years to find out about Hypnos ;-)

What I recommend every musician is to cooperate with other musicians, organize your own gigs and promote the ambient scene that way. Imo, there's nothing above a good ambient gig, that's where you experience the real thing, the deep and the beauty of this style. Take the initiative and you will be rewarded.
premonitionfactory.com -  Ambient drone music

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 04:03:38 PM »
I agree this was an interesting topic, though at times a bit depressing.  I have to admit I miss the old days where the buzz surrounding a hot new ambient release would build and build, and it seemed like people couldn't wait to talk about their favorite new ambient album.

[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2009, 06:53:56 PM »
I've noticed this, too.  Things seemed to peak in the early 2000's with what I'd call bonafide "excitement."  Now you can't even get more than four people to list their Top 10!  But it's probably like this with other art forms as well, or styles of music.  Take heavy metal and "alternative" rock, which peaked in the 80's.  With ambient, which I'd say really "peaked" in the mid-90's, there might be waning interest due to the simple passage of time, or due to the proliferation of ambient over the Internet and somewhat oversaturation of releases.