Author Topic: Album Cover Wallpaper  (Read 6895 times)

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
Album Cover Wallpaper
« on: January 14, 2008, 09:47:46 PM »
Thought I'd post some pix that forum members might get a kick out of.

I used a bunch of the album covers from what was left of my LP collection to "wallpaper" a couple walls in my house.  I did one whole wall in my family room.  Then did album covers as a border in the same room.  I also did most of a small bathroom with the album cover motif.

As I mentioned in my blog, it sort of looks like some dorm room from the '70's.  But I don't care.  They make me happy.  There are a lot of memories up in those covers and it's great to just look at them & reminisce.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Album Cover Wallpaper
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:50:14 PM »
I think that's pretty cool actually.  Especially the little Eno Ambient section!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 12:49:50 AM »
What a novel idea, interesting you put Yes' Fragile next to the Ramones, wouldn't be suprised if one of them fell off the wall overnight. I like the King Krimson cover, had that one for awhile. I'll bet Bill Binkelman could cover his entire house and garage with his CD collection.   ;D

Steve
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 05:16:10 AM »
That is so cool! I have a friend who decorated the ceiling in his rec room the same way.

Lots of Pink Floyd, Ramones, Clash, Devo... I like it!

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 06:31:14 AM »
Looks good, Dave.
Those Enos would certainly make a great set of ceramic tiles. Do the whole room in them.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 08:23:17 AM »
What a novel idea, interesting you put Yes' Fragile next to the Ramones, wouldn't be suprised if one of them fell off the wall overnight. I like the King Krimson cover, had that one for awhile. I'll bet Bill Binkelman could cover his entire house and garage with his CD collection.   ;D

Steve

If I did, I'd be summarily removed from the residence by one Kathryn Heinze, who would promptly change the locks.  ;D

I have thought about buying some of those (admittedly overpriced) album cover frames at Restoration Hardware and putting up some of my faves (I still have, oh I would guess, about 50 LPs, although not sure if they are playable). Truthfully, if I had room, I would buy another Thorens and start collecting old vinyl albums again...Cheapo sells vinyl LPs in good shape for between $2.50 and $4.00 and lots of stuff I want is not on CD, such as the album Tarkio Road from Brewer and Shipley which only has a few songs I want anyway. Call me a retro-ist (?) but just walking into the vinyl section of Cheapo Records makes me sigh with nostalgia. Such great memories. Some of those covers are great wall art, whereas others are so funny that on some nights when I was single and had nothing to do, I'd just browse the LP section for laughs. (yeah, well, I was pretty pathetic at times after my divorce).

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 08:39:24 AM »
Tangent...  Brewer and Shipley - my aunt is a big huge fan of Dan Fogelberg (she's in mourning right now due to Dan's passing away in December..) - I remember her bringing up Brewer and Shipley albums and having me convert a vinyl to cd for her.   

Anyway - back on topic.  My aunt is looking for some sort of special display type things to display her Fogelberg collection.   
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 10:24:14 PM »
Great work.  I have to agree with Bill, though. If I did that, I would be in BIG trouble. I could get away with it in my studio. Hmmm? I do have approximately 400-500 lp's out in my garage that I don't know what to do with. They are not in "mint" condition , as I played them alot. I just can't seem to part with them even though I seldom give them a listen. I have about 50 or so that I have brought into the house that I will rarely give a spin. It's just that they are like old friends... :(  and I can't seem to part with them. Anyway, good job Dave. It looks great!    Harry D
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 08:41:43 AM »
Great work.  I have to agree with Bill, though. If I did that, I would be in BIG trouble. I could get away with it in my studio. Hmmm? I do have approximately 400-500 lp's out in my garage that I don't know what to do with. They are not in "mint" condition , as I played them alot. I just can't seem to part with them even though I seldom give them a listen. I have about 50 or so that I have brought into the house that I will rarely give a spin. It's just that they are like old friends... :(  and I can't seem to part with them. Anyway, good job Dave. It looks great!    Harry D

Yeah, I feel the same way about my LPs. I'd probably still have several hundred on hand but I made a series of moves in the late 80s, from one apt. to another, etc., and each time I divested myself of some of the LPs because, well, they are so damn hard to move! They're fragile as hell, and they weigh much more than one realizes (until you lift a box with a hundred inside!). The thing is, if I had room for a turntable, as I wrote earlier, I'd love to re-buy a whole bunch of those LPs from my teen years, e.g. Iron Butterfly's Ball is one I miss now and then. I don't want to spend a ton on a newly remastered CD, but 3 or 4 bucks for a used LP, that I can handle.

g.@.b.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 07:27:08 PM »
Very cool & I also dig the Eno covers (great tile idea, APK).

I'd add Bowie's 'Low', 'Diamond Dogs' and 'Station-to-Station' covers, too.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 07:31:14 AM »
I've got "Diamond Dogs" up on the border around the room.  The kids say that one freaks them out.  I also have "Station to Station" in an album cover frame, which I used to have on the wall that is now covered.  Seems kind of pointless to put up a few framed covers when I've got 100 on the walls now.

I wish I could wire the entire wall with switches of sort that would be tied into some computer so that all I had to do was touch an album cover & that one would play. 

I'll do that right after I wire the entire house for music.  I'd like speakers in every room tied into a central computer, with remote control from anywhere, and maybe some small monitors in different rooms so I can see what is playing when I've got it on shuffle.  Of course this will have to be done after the kids are in college.  The last thing they want is to put up with Dad cranking up "Baby's On Fire" through every room in the house.  :P 

Of course the eventual goal will be to have it all voice controlled, so I just have to say "play floating ambient" or "play 2007".

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 10:16:46 AM »

I wish I could wire the entire wall with switches of sort that would be tied into some computer so that all I had to do was touch an album cover & that one would play. 

Then you could just throw a tennis ball or something at the wall to choose albums from your couch.
Accuracy would be rewarded by not getting the Ramones instead of Avalon - and viseversa.   ;D

g.@.b.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 01:35:53 PM »

Then you could just throw a tennis ball or something at the wall to choose albums from your couch.
Accuracy would be rewarded by not getting the Ramones instead of Avalon - and viseversa.   ;D

...or just lob a super high bounce Spauldine, let it ricochet off the walls and go for "shuffle play" mode ;D