Author Topic: 2008 outlook for Hypnos (and Binary and Hypnos Secret Sounds)  (Read 64210 times)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
Re: 2008 outlook for Hypnos (and Binary and Hypnos Secret Sounds)
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2008, 04:31:22 PM »

Another new (old) Hypnos artist?
We've been in discussions this past couple weeks about Hypnos becoming the exclusive outlet for a recording artist who has released music on Hypnos before, but not recently.  Can't give any details about this quite yet, maybe in a few week, however it represents a major coup for Hypnos in terms of bringing a respected and prolific sound artist back into the fold.
my guess is richard bone
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2008, 06:30:35 PM »

We've been in discussions this past couple weeks about Hypnos becoming the exclusive outlet for a recording artist who has released music on Hypnos before, but not recently.  Can't give any details about this quite yet, maybe in a few week, however it represents a major coup for Hypnos in terms of bringing a respected and prolific sound artist back into the fold.

my guess is richard bone

I can't play "no, that's not it" with guesses, because it would be narrowed-down pretty quickly that way.

But, some time in the future, you will find out whether or not your guess is correct! 
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2008, 11:47:15 PM »

my guess is richard bone

I can't play "no, that's not it" with guesses, because it would be narrowed-down pretty quickly that way.

But, some time in the future, you will find out whether or not your guess is correct! 

A. Produce! No, wait. He's touring with Jimmy Page, thus throwing the whole reunion thing into question. Uh...I hate idle speculation! ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:50:05 PM by Mark Mushet »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 12:18:11 AM »
It's either Stokes, Pearce, Bone, or A Produce...(i get four guesses cuz I'm special!)

I have to say the artwork for all these upcoming releases is absolutely incredible!!!

Good to hear Nebula(e)'s Path of White Clouds getting the royal Hypnos treatment.  I would like to see Suso Saiz' "Hypnotics" (1992, limited to 500 copies) reissued on Hypnos.  This is an absolute lost gem of psychoactive guitar-drones from Suspended Memories/Roach collaborator, right up Hypnos alley...

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 02:43:57 AM »
Looking good. Hypnos marches on, tall and strong. Roaaarrr.

I'm watching Planet Earth. Those deep sea creatures would make an amazing cover.

jeff pearce

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2008, 05:15:50 AM »
It's either Stokes, Pearce, Bone, or A Produce...(i get four guesses cuz I'm special!)

Not to get on Mike's bad side by indulging in guessing games, :) but it's not me.  If you read what Mike wrote, he mentioned this artist is prolific.  Putting out one cd every three years is not prolific; in the ambient world of "prolific=relevant" "more=better", "greed=good" (sorry- watched "Wall Street" the other night), a cd every three years is basically being retired from music.  :) (ironic- musicians making slow and minimal music seem to release a WHOLE LOT of that music REALLY REALLY fast!)

... plus, Mike said "respected", and we all know that's not me (sorry Mike- I know you were getting ready to make that point, and I just stole that insult out from under you!) :)

Jeff

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2008, 09:15:26 AM »
Yeah, Jeff's the opposite of prolific.  He thinks Peter Gabriel and Bryan Ferry and Boston put out too many albums.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2008, 09:37:55 AM »
He thinks Peter Gabriel and Bryan Ferry and Boston put out too many albums.

Mind you, he might have a point!

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »

I agree. Boston has put out four too many albums.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2008, 04:23:50 PM »

I have to say the artwork for all these upcoming releases is absolutely incredible!!!

Good to hear Nebula(e)'s Path of White Clouds getting the royal Hypnos treatment.  I would like to see Suso Saiz' "Hypnotics" (1992, limited to 500 copies) reissued on Hypnos.  This is an absolute lost gem of psychoactive guitar-drones from Suspended Memories/Roach collaborator, right up Hypnos alley...

Thanks for your comments on the artwork -- much appreciated!

The Nebulae / Nebula name issue appears to have been solved & settled.

I've heard of this Suso Saiz album before but have had no opportunity to hear it.

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2008, 06:03:31 PM »

I agree. Boston has put out four too many albums.
I have More Than a Feeling you're right. And Peter Gabriel obviously has No Self Control. As for Ferry...well...it's a Shame, Shame, Shame...particularly about Otis' antics. OK I'll stop now! ;)

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2008, 07:54:02 PM »
[ OK I'll stop now! ;)

Aaarrgh! Yes, please!

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2008, 01:59:59 PM »
Mike I'll send you a copy of "Hypnotics," I would be interested in your opinion on this album.

The Sound-O-Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2008, 02:08:11 PM »
It appears that the renaming will be subtle, but sufficient to distinguish one from the other.  The plan now is that Nebula should become NebulŠ, though that may still change.

Brilliant!  :o

Austere

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2008, 04:00:16 PM »
We're betting Robert Rich... since there's work on the DVD reissue (which we hope will have at least a static graphic while it plays rather than a blank screen, easy to do, Sound-O-Mat guys can tell you how to author it.)  And we bet Mr. Rich is tired of running his own label.  Anyone who's never run a label or known someone who has, well, let's just say it's a wonder that Mike and Lena have any time to do anything...?

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2008, 04:02:24 PM »
I forgot about the guessing game here, but coincidentally, it's time to make the announcement about this artist and his upcoming affiliation (re-affiliation, I suppose) with Hypnos.  He and I are talking about the how and when, and the wording, of the announcement but it will happen very soon. 

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2008, 04:38:55 PM »
OK, no more secrets.  Here's the announcement, which may be fleshed-out and made more formal before we spread it through other channels.

Hypnos Recordings is pleased to announce a renewed affiliation with an
artist we've worked with before, but who has been involved in his own label
for the past several years.  In 2000 through 2002, James Johnson released
the solo albums Entering Twilight and The Butterfly Chamber, as well
as Seed with Ma Ja Le.  We will follow up with more specific
announcements about individual upcoming projects, but at this time are
happy to announce our partnership.

Austere

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2008, 10:21:07 PM »
Hypnos Recordings is pleased to announce a renewed affiliation with an
artist we've worked with before, but who has been involved in his own label
for the past several years.  In 2000 through 2002, James Johnson released
the solo albums Entering Twilight and The Butterfly Chamber

Woo-hoo!  Great news!  AtmoWorks loss, Hypnos' gain!

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »
Here just a quick little update on all the items mentioned in the "2008 outlook" up above, as we get ready to head into February.  I'll follow that with a few items that weren't mentioned when I first posted this topic.

Austere | Solyaris
Originally planned for Jan 2008, we've delayed this one until early February to give the Austere guys time to release their box-set, which I'm sure they'll be plugging here on the Forum soon.

M. Griffin | Fabrications
All recording and editing is done, and just a few fine-tuning tweaks will be done (EQ and volume, mainly) before this one is sent out to be pressed.

Various Artists | Message From a Subatomic World
This second compilation is complete in terms of artist selection, track selection, and track sequence.  Some basic mastering is needed to get the tracks to match up, and this will be ready.

Evan Bartholomew | Tidal Phases of the Moon I
A recent addition to the release list, this long-form ambient piece should be ready to go soon, but we're fine-tuning some very small issues with the master.  We'll be getting CDs manufactured for this one (rather than the usual Hypnos Secret Sounds limited CDR release) so that will take a few extra weeks.

Sense (Robert Logan) | The Sublime (2cdr) 
This release has been in the works for quite a while (though it wasn't announced until the title was decided, though that's been changed twice subsequently). This too is different in that it's a 2 disc release.  Very challenging and exciting sounds... we can't wait to introduce Hypnos listeners to Sense!

Robert Rich | Somnium (dvd)
Our initial pressing of 2,000 copies sold out, and we're still selling enough of them that we're pressing another 1,000.  That makes this the best-selling Hypnos release ever (as other discs have had 2,000 made, but none sold out the second thousand before).

Jeff Pearce | Daylight Slowly
Jeff's first Hypnos disc has been out of print for a while, and we're going to re-press it with different artwork.

Nebula | The Path of White Clouds
This is a re-issue of an out of print album by this Oophoi & Mathias Grassow (and many others) ambient collective.  We're going to slightly change the name from "Nebula" to something just barely different, to avoid conflicting with other artists already using that name.  This is a beautiful recording, one that definitely deserves to be available.

Various Artists | Echoes of Polyhymnia
Hypnos manager Lena is curating this females-only ambient compilation.  We're already received some great submissions, and some very promising artists have tracks on the way to us even now.  Already confirmed to take part: Gydja, Rose Bolton, Margaret Noble, Stellaria Fennica, Clarissa Borba, Kristin Miltner,  Sara Ayres, Floating World, Lena.

Various Artists | Nevertime
This Binary label compilation will emphasize a more modern and edgy style of electronic music, ranging from minimal, pulsing techno to what some call electronica and some call IDM, to glitch and minimalism.

Viridian Sun | As-Yet-Untitled album
This will be an album of brand new (late 2007, early 2008) sessions, with a hypnotic, deep, organic feel.  More guitar-based, and less electronic, than previous Viridian Sun releases.

M. Griffin & Various Artists | Vapors and Magnetism (video DVD)
Much work still remains to be done on this, which will be a collection of abstract videos, each with an exclusive music track by one of our favorite ambient recording artists.

MORE VIRIDIAN SUN
After the release of the Viridian Sun album just recorded, we will likely finish and release the unreleased album from 5-6 years earlier.  First things first!  Or actually, last things first.

M. GRIFFIN AND _____
I've undertaken two collaborations for this coming year, figuring that these things usually proceed with delays and lulls, which will allow me to work on them one at a time, simultaneously!  And it already seems that one of them won't start for a few months, so this should be a matter of working quietly, and not announcing anything until some progress is made mid-year.

BINARY AKA HYPNOS/BINARY
For those of you who don't know, Binary is the sublabel for more dynamic electronic sounds.  We're going to put some effort into revving things up on Binary this year, starting with Nevertime (see above), but leading on to some CDs by some new artists.

BINARY EXPLORER SERIES
This will be a limited CDR imprint related to our Binary sub-label.  In other words, Binary Explorer Series is to Binary, as Hypnos Secret Sounds is to Hypnos.  We intend to start running BES full-speed starting this spring, right around the time we're recruiting for the Nevertime comp.

NEW ONLINE STORE
We've reserved the domain for our new dedicated music store (not just an offshoot of the Hypnos site, the way our current Hypnos Online Store works), so before too long there will be an ever-expanding music store at www.soundswim.com -- it will start off selling much of the same stuff as the Hypnos store, but will quickly broaden out.  We'll be selling downloads, too, just Hypnos (and sub-label) tracks at first, but possibly other tracks on other labels at some point, depending on how it goes.

I thought it would be a good idea to give a quick note of update to each of these items mentioned a few months back, to let everyone know where we stand on all the stuff that was mentioned.

Austere | Solyaris
Already released, come and get 'em.

M. Griffin | Fabrications
This one is at the manufacturing plant right now and we should have CDs pretty soon. Finally!

Various Artists | Message From a Subatomic World
Final track sequence is set, mastering is just about done, and I'd like to get this one wrapped-up and ready to press before Fabrications is done.

Evan Bartholomew | Tidal Phases of the Moon I
We had a very minor glitch with the audio master, and Even wanted to rework his master, but he's been very busy with live performances and other music work, so it hasn't been completed yet, but this one's still on the horizon.

Sense (Robert Logan) | The Sublime (2cdr) 
Actually released under the name Sense Project, rather than Sense (Robert Logan) or any of the variants we discussed.  This one's getting a very positive response and we're quite proud of it.

Robert Rich | Somnium (dvd)
Also released, in case you missed it -- re-released, that is. We've got plenty of these on hand now, in case you missed it the first time around.

Jeff Pearce | Daylight Slowly
This will be one of the next things we submit to the manufacturing plant, but it's not quite ready yet.

Nebula | The Path of White Clouds
Nebula has changed their name to Nebulae, and this project should come out mid-year.

Various Artists | Echoes of Polyhymnia
The roster is entirely set on this one, and we just need to decide on the track sequence, and master the material, and this should be released mid-year as well.

Various Artists | Nevertime
Haven't yet opened this up to submissions, as a few other priorities have taken over, but we'll make an official announcement about submissions fairly soon.

Viridian Sun | As-Yet-Untitled album
The Viridian Sun 4th album (please note that the 3rd album was never released, at least not yet -- we're not talking about the Live Paris Theater album) has been edited down and we've made surprisingly good progress on this.  It has a more raw and organic feel than previous VS releases and we'd like to get it released by the end of the summer if possible.

M. Griffin & Various Artists | Vapors and Magnetism (video DVD)
This has been affected by other projects sliding back, as much as any.  Not much progress made on this in the last few months.  OK... no progress.

MORE VIRIDIAN SUN
This album is recorded and mostly edited, it just remains to be seen if the mighty VS duo keep up their dedication to the project, and whip these tracks into final, release-ready shape following the completion of the 4th album.  Yes, it could be considered odd to finish your 4th album and then go back and start editing together the tracks for your 3rd album.

M. GRIFFIN AND _____
One of my planned collaborations for this year has fallen through (and I knew it would happen that way, which is why I double-booked) but I am pleased to be at the beginning stages of a collaboration with Oophoi.  We're just getting started, but we'd like to have some idea whether this will yield a Hypnos CD in 2008, or whether it will be a slower-evolving process than that.  The first recordings I've heard sound very promising and I look forward to digging into them and getting my hands dirty.

BINARY AKA HYPNOS/BINARY
Our plans to revive this imprint and set it off in a new direction with renewed energy, pretty much depends on the Nevertime compilation to get us started.  Then again, the return of one of our favorite electronic music artists, one already familiar to Binary listeners -- Saul Stokes -- should help us get Binary moving again pretty soon.  Saul's new album Villa Galaxia will be released on Binary, in cooperation with Saul's own imprint.

BINARY EXPLORER SERIES
Haven't started these yet, and actually the "call for submissions" for the Nevertime compilation will coincide exactly with the "call for submissions" for B.E.S. series projects.  Hope to get moving on this soon, but nothing yet.

NEW ONLINE STORE
We've got dibs on the web domain www.soundswim.com but haven't built anything there yet... other than a cool picture and a couple of words like "coming soon."  We're still testing web store technologies, as we don't want to just use the same store platform that powers the Hypnos store.  This one will include downloads, at least that's the plan!

I'll have more to add to this soon, as there are other things cooking.  This is more of an "update to stuff we had planned months ago," and doesn't include newer projects that have come together just recently, such as the Matt Borghi series and a new one coming from Darkened Soul.  We're also expecting to release something by Steve Brand (also known as Augur) soon but don't know what, or when, or how many, as yet.

Thanks, everybody, for all your support of our various endeavors!

-Mike

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2008, 03:39:07 PM »
Just a comment, that, with these upcoming releases, and looking at all the latest additions to the Hypnos Store (new Aglaia!), Hypnos is becoming a 1-stop place for all the best ambient music now. The outlook for the future really looks great. Is it possible for a label to have 1000 True Fans as well?

Great job, Mike & Lena.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 03:42:29 PM by Antdude »
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.