Author Topic: Lexicon Goes Native  (Read 14321 times)

Blackinfinity

Lexicon Goes Native
« on: October 09, 2009, 07:41:03 PM »
Lexicon Goes Native

http://www.youtube.com/user/LexiconPro#p/u/15/a9rJzngpjDY

The price tag is quite expensive but...very unexpected anyway, I really did not thought they would get into the Software market.
Maybe they felt forced because of SSLs X-verb ?

Blackinfinity

Re: Lexicon Goes Native
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »
Am I the only one who consider to buy this one ???

Really eager to try it out. The driving force and main programmer in Lexicon has said in an forum, that
it is just as good as PCM 96 but better and improved slightly. 

I lately heard though, that the hardware version of PCM96 still include some algorithms that is not included in the software bundle and vice versa... Still would like to know how many Algorithms that are missing from the hardware version. The software bundle is 7 algorithms.

Sunbreak Music

• View Profile
    • Sunbreak Music, High Resolution Stereo Mastering
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 08:20:55 AM »
My understanding is the chorus (and maybe some pitch-shifting) algorithms aren't there.

The PCM96 is too Mac-centric for me, as I won't use an external hardware device without a remote, and you can't control the parameters with a PC.  I sold my PCM91 last year and never looked back.

I'm probably a little battle-weary about "I'm going native, and it's just as good!", because I've heard the claims and they never stand up.  But I'll give it a listen when the time comes.
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Blackinfinity

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:29:19 PM »
chorus and delay algoritms are not included true, but I think these are effects are replaceable with other plugins.

For Pitch shifting there is only one that I know of Virsyn Prism.

I am still trying to find out if I can use the Lexicon plugins through a midi interface...if it support midi...
Far too many idiotic software manufactures forget this very important function. 

I have high confidence that this plugin will blow me away...

I have heard that you will be able to download a demo for free...to try..
which is amazing... finally we all can hear how a true Lexicon sound.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 03:45:44 PM »
It's bizarre to me that Lexicon themselves would imply the software reverb plugin is as good as or better than the hardware product.  I doubt they're trying to get out of the market of hardware reverbs.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Sunbreak Music

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 03:46:06 PM »
I have heard that you will be able to download a demo for free...to try..
which is amazing... finally we all can hear how a true Lexicon sound.

I'm sure some of us will be the judge of that.   ;D
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Blackinfinity

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 04:58:03 PM »
It's bizarre to me that Lexicon themselves would imply the software reverb plugin is as good as or better than the hardware product.  I doubt they're trying to get out of the market of hardware reverbs.

Well it might be hard to imagine I agree.

But the one who said it has been the programmer who implemented the algoritms in PCM90/91 and PCM96 so I really think he is not just talking shit, if there is any person who knows what he is talking about, it must be him...unless it is just a PR stunt...but I strongly think not...

According to him the native bundle is just an progression of the PCM96 with slight improvements and what they have been working on for the last few years, which also will be included in the next update for the hardware PCM96 aswell, but right now the software bundle is the latest version and most refined verions of these algorithms.

From an economic stand point I see no reason why they would go software especially because of piracy, I thought we would not see it..in a long time... even though this bundle cost a lot...It cost as much as the PCM91 Hardware does.

But one of the main reason why Lexicon is going software, is that the in the current situation the computer CPU is much stronger then the dsp chips, according to him they have a lot of ketching up to do. Also these DSP chips like TigerSHARC which was used in PCM96 is both very expensive and very hard to program in practice to get out the full power of these DSP chips, as it looks now this is obsolete technology, cause they can't compete with Intel.

Also in general, studios prefer more and more software as the CPU power is getting better. There is obvious advantages to use software also, you can use as man instances as you want, you are no longer limited to two channels/instances in your DAW, this has before been a very limited factor for many.

Sunbreak Music

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 08:18:38 AM »
But the one who said it has been the programmer who implemented the algoritms in PCM90/91 and PCM96 so I really think he is not just talking shit, if there is any person who knows what he is talking about, it must be him...unless it is just a PR stunt...but I strongly think not...

I don't believe anything I read on Gearslutz, if that's where this mysterious programmer is posting.

The CPU argument has been in place for a long time, but the developers continue to dumb down their algorithms to approach as many platforms as possible.  The only exception I've ever seen to that is Algorithmix, and a single instance of their early plugs would bog down many machines.

With dedicated processors on hardware units, they can max an algorithm without any consideration for other processing within an OS.  It's really that simple.  Everyone has been predicting the demise of DSP units for years, and they're stronger than ever.
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Blackinfinity

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 08:25:08 AM »
The algorithms for the software bundle have not been crippled... You could expect the same quality as the hardware...Of course you can remain skeptical.  Everything is digital one and zeros...so it is not impossible..

And it is not until lately, in particular the Core I7 CPU that we are seeing a big advantage of using Intel/software.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:33:05 AM by Blackinfinity »

Sunbreak Music

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 09:14:14 AM »
The algorithms for the software bundle have not been crippled... You could expect the same quality as the hardware...Of course you can remain skeptical.  Everything is digital one and zeros...so it is not impossible..

And it is not until lately, in particular the Core I7 CPU that we are seeing a big advantage of using Intel/software.

How can you say that with such confidence?  You haven't even heard it.  Have you ever owned a Lexicon hardware unit?

My skepticism is based on my experience and history, but it will be easy enough to do a comparison when they arrive.

When the requirements state a PII to run the plugs, we'll know.   ;)

Digital audio has never been as simple as ones and zeros in application.

www.sunbreakmusic.com

Blackinfinity

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 02:56:35 AM »
Well "confidence" is maybe not the right word, but expectations maybe ?

It will be released in the end of november, then we will have side by side reviews all over the web
Then we can see instead of speculate what the software bundle can deliver. And hopefully a demo version will be available for the public aswell.

I can understand you might be skeptical considering Pantheon, which is total crap...but this is Lexions first REAL software reverb.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 04:03:16 AM by Blackinfinity »

Sunbreak Music

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 03:14:40 PM »

It will be released in the end of november, then we will have side by side reviews all over the web
Then we can see instead of speculate what the software bundle can deliver. And hopefully a demo version will be available for the public aswell.

I can understand you might be skeptical considering Pantheon, which is total crap...but this is Lexions first REAL software reverb.

I'll be happy to check it out when it hits.  I'd actually be all over it, if it's as it's supposed to be, so my skepticism is probably in place to prevent disappointment.... as has happened in the past.

That pantheon plug was pretty atrocious, wasn't it?   ;D
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Blackinfinity

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 06:14:54 AM »

Pantheon was never crated to compete with their high end products, it is an very simplified algorithm that sounds equally bad to an free reverb plugin.  From what I know you can not buy this plugin individually, it is only bundled and included in various audio applications like Cakewalk Sonar.

I expect nothing similar with this new plugin..

I'll be happy to check it out when it hits.  I'd actually be all over it, if it's as it's supposed to be, so my skepticism is probably in place to prevent disappointment.... as has happened in the past.

That pantheon plug was pretty atrocious, wasn't it?   ;D

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 09:30:51 AM »
Here's a video demo of the new Lexicon PCM native reverb.

I freakin' hate USB dongles. 

Interesting video for those considering this product, though.  It's a chat between a guy at audiomidi.com (an online retailer of this kind of stuff, a place I've purchased plenty of gear), and a representative from Lexicon.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Blackinfinity

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 01:55:18 PM »
Here's a video demo of the new Lexicon PCM native reverb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGV7_Hp0PPs

I freakin' hate USB dongles. 

Interesting video for those considering this product, though.  It's a chat between a guy at audiomidi.com (an online retailer of this kind of stuff, a place I've purchased plenty of gear), and a representative from Lexicon.

Yeah USB dongles is a pain in the ass. Luckily for us PC users ILOK is cracked, so we can buy the legal copy then use the cracked one.
Syncrosoft is not a better choice either, it cost way more for manufactures to use it, and it is also cracked, so meaningless.

Anyway, a downloaded Demo will be available probably next month, so you can try it for free for a month.

If I get it I really want to get the LARC too so I can control the plugin through a hardware interface.
The LARC is probably hard to find if you want to buy it individually, as I know it has only been sold together in bundles with other hardware units.

Anyway I am every excited by this plug, it seem very promising, and I have no doubt anymore that it is just as good as the hardware version, but for the fraction of the price,
so seem like a very good idea, and a software solution is way more practical and flexible etc,there is not many disadvantages really, the plugin does not produce many CPU cycles either so
no need for any DSP card or anything.

Blackinfinity

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 01:54:45 PM »
Alright it is out now in the stores, and I have heard a lot of opinion from pro-people that it sounds just as good as the hardware version (PCM96).
So I will definitely buy this one, it is just amazing how much money I save now hehe. I was really saving up the PCM96 which is about 3 times as expensive.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »

If I get it I really want to get the LARC too so I can control the plugin through a hardware interface.
The LARC is probably hard to find if you want to buy it individually, as I know it has only been sold together in bundles with other hardware units.

LARC won't work with the software, it only plugs directly into a hardware reverb box like, the 224, 300L,480, or 960.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 07:15:57 PM »

LARC won't work with the software, it only plugs directly into a hardware reverb box like, the 224, 300L,480, or 960.

In that case Lexicon does false marketing, in the Lexicon Interview at youtube he SAYS that the plugin is LARCable/LARC-compatible.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 10:10:37 PM »

In that case Lexicon does false marketing, in the Lexicon Interview at youtube he SAYS that the plugin is LARCable/LARC-compatible.

Perhaps I am wrong then, but I don't see how the older LARCs will work as you need the reverb hardware to attach one to. Even if it did, they are quite expensive. A new LARC2 goes for around $3500. Maybe they are coming out with a new LARC? 
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Blackinfinity

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 10:42:48 PM »
Yeah the price of the LARC is a joke..but I guess..studios that have a lot of money do not really care about the financial aspect..they care about the pure function of well it works etc..
It should work, he explain in the video that the plugin GUI is inspired of the LARCs it has the same amout of faders etc.. the joystick can control spin/wander etc.

Well it is really bad that they do not have midi support, I think a lot of people would have found it very useful.  Not everyone want to use an one static preset during an whole live session.
I would like to change the shape of the reverb in RT though my midi interfaces. But yeah I guess..they prefer to force you to pay for the LARC.. it is just that it cost 3 times more then the plugin itself..