Author Topic: Suso Saiz - Hypnotics  (Read 1942 times)

nuun

• View Profile
Suso Saiz - Hypnotics
« on: October 10, 2009, 03:33:30 AM »
Hi all,

I'm getting to know better the music of Suso Saiz.
I have "Mirrors of pollution" and quite appreciated it.
I've read that Hypnotics is his best release.
I know this was a 500 copies limited edition and that this record is pretty hard to find.
Unfortunately, there is no description, review of it.
Could any of you help me to make up my mind, and give me details on the music, even his opinion ?
I need to know if this release need to be chased.

David

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Suso Saiz - Hypnotics
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 11:42:57 AM »
I can tell you not only is Hypnotics his best release, it's one of the best ambient albums in my collection since about '94 I think when I got it.  This record is the king of guitar drone albums in my opinion, and I've heard a lot of them!  The original release would be pretty hard to find.  There was a box set released about a year back which was very expensive which included Hypnotics and a lot of unreleased material that apparently wasn't very good from reviews I have read.  If you can't find it Nuun get in touch with me, maybe I can help...

nuun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 03:48:49 AM »
Hi Drone On,

Thank you for your response.
If you had to make any comparison with any existing artist, to whom would it be close ?
It music soft & spacey as Robert Fripp, Robert Rich, Jeff Pearce, Christopher Short, Exuviae, Numina, or rumbling & opaque as Aidan Baker, Troum, Fear Falls Burning... ?
I've read about the box set on this forum and yes, besides Hypnotics, reviews were not very positive.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 07:12:15 PM »
It's extremely drifty and ethereal.  Just listen to the most placid parts he did on Steve Roach's "Origins" or the Suspended Memories "Forgotten Gods" and imagine that going for about an hour.  All one long track of drift w/no percussion, unlike "Mirrors of Pollution" which is not really an ambient album but more atmospheric modern jazz/world.  You can't compare Saiz to Fripp or Pearce because he has his own sound.

nuun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 04:02:45 AM »
wow wow wow wow wow !
That sounds really great indeed !!
Thank you VERY much Drone on for these details.
The Hunt for "Hypnotics" has begun !!

nuun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:07:21 AM »
Hi,
Ordered and finally got an original copy of it.
Listening to it right now :-)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 12:13:53 PM »
Another one you should track down by Saiz is "Un Hombre Oscuro," live CD circa '95.  Was on a Spanish label.  Virtually impossible to find, I've looked everywhere (Discogs, etc.)!  :o