Author Topic: Kombucha tea  (Read 5559 times)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Kombucha tea
« on: January 16, 2008, 04:32:12 PM »
Has anyone here ever tried kombucha tea?  I had been reading about its substantial health benefits so I picked some up to try with my lunch today.

It's a strange, fermented tea with active enzymes and cultures just like yogurt, and a weird, tangy taste like kim chee or vinegar.  I mean, it's more like tea than like vinegar, but it smells like the easter egg dye you used to use as a kid.

Anyway, I don't exactly hate this stuff, but it's so weird and unprecedented as a liquid refreshment, that I was really curious to hear what others think of this.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

g.@.b.

Re: Kombucha tea
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:13:52 PM »
I haven't tried that tea, Mike. But, coincidentally, since it's about 29 degrees here, I just put the kettle on for some TAZO 'Refresh'tea (a peppermint/spearmint/tarragon blend).

The TAZO site's pretty neat, too. Stop by...they'll put a pot on for you; http://www.tazo.com/default.asp?hasFlash=1&init=

;)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:30:33 PM »
Hey cool... you know, Tazo is right here in Portland.  I remember when they were a little, tiny company and they sold their tea in these fancy, artisan-like containers, with special paper and cardboard, and woodblock print logos, etc.  You still get a sense of that with their current package design, but they're BIG now.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:47:20 PM »
My wife is a Tazo freak !
We seem to always have at least a dozen types here.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:42:49 PM »
Has anyone here ever tried kombucha tea?  I had been reading about its substantial health benefits so I picked some up to try with my lunch today.

It's a strange, fermented tea with active enzymes and cultures just like yogurt, and a weird, tangy taste like kim chee or vinegar.  I mean, it's more like tea than like vinegar, but it smells like the easter egg dye you used to use as a kid.

Anyway, I don't exactly hate this stuff, but it's so weird and unprecedented as a liquid refreshment, that I was really curious to hear what others think of this.

I've tried a few bottles of Synergy(what else?) kombucha (kom-boo-cha)tea from Henry's Farmer's Market here in Fullerton. Its an aquired taste and I usually just have a few sips durring a meal for the digestive bacteria. I'm also into green phyto base powder that I use in the blender with fruit juice along with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.

I'm also into TAZO Chai and Green tea. BTW, I have an odd tune called Chai in the Evening. I guess now I'll have to come up with 'Sippin' Kombucha', or 'Livin' on Phyto Powder'. ;D

Steve
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 01:40:41 PM by sraymar »
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 10:23:38 PM »
Yeah, Mike,  My wife and I tried kombucha several years ago and I can't say we had any negative experiences with it. I also can't really say we had any positive results with it either. It's sort of hard to make any conclusion without long term use. You have to grow the "mushrooms" and make the tea on a regular schedule and we kept getting off the routine and having to get new "mushrooms" from relatives. In the long run , we just lost interest. I wish we had kept it up , because it seem like we were doing something positive. As far as health benefits are concened, we only did it for about 8 months and really didn't see any benefit in that short amount of time. I am still interested and would consider doing it again if the situation presented itself. I just don't know anyone in this area still trying it.      Harry D
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:41:46 AM »
Kombucha is great! I assume there are health benefits to it, but I also really like the bubbliness of it, texture and taste are exciting and seems to help with digestion.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 12:02:40 PM »
I may be crazy but I felt a bit of a "buzz" from it... nothing too crazy but just a sense of mellow well-being.  I bought a commercial, bottled type of kombucha with a little bit of flavoring added.  I'm not into trying to "grow" my own tea cultures -- too much work. 

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 03:37:19 PM »
I may be crazy but I felt a bit of a "buzz" from it... nothing too crazy but just a sense of mellow well-being.  I bought a commercial, bottled type of kombucha with a little bit of flavoring added.  I'm not into trying to "grow" my own tea cultures -- too much work. 
  The growing of the cultures isn't really that much work and it's kind of fun. It's just that I would get out of the routine and forget and then the culture wouldn't be active anymore and I would have to get another one. I also forget to feed my dog, but he's pretty good about reminding me ;D    Harry D
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Gemini Ambience

• View Profile
Fermented Teas - Pu-erh
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 01:13:46 PM »
Hey there,

I'm a tea fanatic. I love all types of tea and also practice gong fu cha (Chinese tea ceremony).

I've never heard of that particular style of fermented tea, but the name is Japanese. The only fermented tea I am familiar with is pu-erh; in certain areas of China it is also known as Bolay.

http://www.pu-erh.net/

I have several cakes at home and can cut off some samples and mail them to anyone interested in trying some pu-erh. It brews best in either a gaiwan or yixing gong fu tea pot.

Peace,

Jim

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 01:33:26 PM »
I have a cake of the pu-er in my cupboard. I like it, but don't drink it often. It's main function, at least according to my wife, is to aid in digestion. It's a nice dark tea and has a pleasing tang to it, almost like beer. I too have been converted to the beauty of tea, away from the long-beloved espresso. I have to say that drinking green tea every day feels much better than coffee, after a few months you really notice the difference. I usually drink the organic sencha - which is just the standard Japanese green tea - and it is rich and fulfilling (I make it strong). Tried macha recently, the powdered green tea mixture used in Japanese tea ceremony, and its power was mightily impressive. Like a blast of alpine air; it may have given me that fine immediate sensation of awareness that used to be granted by espresso...

Gemini Ambience

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 02:39:59 PM »
I have a cake of the pu-er in my cupboard. I like it, but don't drink it often. It's main function, at least according to my wife, is to aid in digestion.

It also helps lower your "bad" cholesterol levels.

I have to say that drinking green tea every day feels much better than coffee, after a few months you really notice the difference.

This is due to the caffeine in tea (camelia sinesis) being more water soluble than the caffeine in coffee. In their dried states, tea leaves actually have more caffeine than coffee beans, but again, it is also more water soluble than the caffeine in coffee. This is why tea tends to relax and soothe where coffee tends to tweak you out.

I'm not that big on green teas myself (except for my shou pu-erhs), I mainly drink oolongs and blacks. My favorite oolong is a medium-oxidized Chinese tea called Da Hong Pao (big red robe). It's amazing. :)

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »
OOOOHHH a tea thread!!!

I love tea!

Currently my wife and I are much closer to the indian / british way af making and drinking tea. In other words, it must be black, opaque and you must put sugar and cream in it...damn now I have to go make a cup  ::)

The best tea I have ever had however was in Hong Kong, brewed in an old tea shop by a gentleman who appeared to be in his 90's...it was quite the ritual, but more smooth and pure than I have ever been able to achieve here at home.

Also I love african Rooboos tea, again best drank latte style with milk and sugar, and the tea leafs should be boiled in the water for 6 minutes to be at optimum strength and flavor I was taught.

Indians, and Bengali people also boil the leaves right in the water, with the milk and sugar all at once.

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

blackROSE17

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 02:21:13 AM »
[spam deleted by moderator, user banned]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:39:39 AM by mgriffin »

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 08:47:09 AM »
The kombucha tea has been around for a long time.

In the early 90s it was supposed to help with HIV infection.

Sadly, the devotees of the tea have now gone on to a better place.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:27:16 AM by jimzzzak »