Author Topic: Sad News  (Read 23762 times)

Alan Imberg

• View Profile
    • alanimberg.com
Re: Sad News
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 11:07:30 AM »
I've not posted here before but felt compelled to given this very sad news.

It goes without saying that Jim was as good a friend to the Ambient community as one could be. I've had several e-mail "conversations" with him over the years and not all were about music as his work in the recovery field provided additional common ground for us. I felt he was a kindred spirit and I'm very saddened to know he's gone. I do take comfort in the fact that he had strong faith which I'm sure gave him strength as he dealt with his health issues. I'm grateful to have crossed paths with him in this life.

My sincere condolences and prayers go to his family. Know that he touched a lot of people far beyond just the corner of the geographic world in which he occupied. His absence will be acutely felt far and wide.

Alan Imberg

Stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 11:13:50 AM »
i am deeply saddened by this.  i know jim had been struggling with some things over the last few years and i've feared this day for awhile, i just never imagined it would be so soon.  i feel very sad for jim's family.  he was just a family guy and loved his grandkids dearly.  jim had a wild personality.  he was the kind of guy who would punch you on the arm really hard one minute and give you a big hug the next.  he pulled no punches and told everything like it is regardless of how you might take it, as we all know over the years in the forum.  i think he still holds the record for most posts and prolly will for many years to come.

many of you just don't know HOW MUCH music jim has been making over the years.  since he started making music a few years ago, he had been banging out a new CD just about every week.  many of us around here are very passionate about music and making music but i think jim topped us all in his passion and drive.

it's just too weird cause i was just talking with him a few days ago and finalizing the artwork for his next Orion's Belt CD and BAM, he's gone.  i was just not prepared for this.

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »
Jim, you will be greatly, greatly missed by many, and the Hypnos forum will never be the same without you. I loved your silly personality and had lots of fun teasing you and joking around with you here. I'll miss your movie reviews and all the stories about your grandchildren, whom you loved so much and who adored you, their "Pop Pop." You loved ambient music so much that you wanted to play it yourself, and went shopping binges buying all sorts of instruments and things- I loved reading about whatever interesting thing you'd picked out next! You did start playing, too, and you got better and better over time. I'm so sad I won't get to see where you would have gone with your growing skills and all those instruments. You were such a huge part of the ambient scene and such an amazing supporter of it, what are we ever going to do without you???

Love, Lena
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:23:03 PM by lena »
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »
This is an immeasurable loss to the ambient, new age, and electronic music scene. Jim's words flow through the internet like a stream, carrying along his love for the music, his enthusiasm in spreading the word, and his fierce devotion to the artists whose work excited him. On the Forum, he displayed his sense of humor many many times, and I will also miss his "instant" movie reviews (he seemed to always be reviewing the very newest releases and it was great to read his appraisals of films I was considering watching).

As others who mentioned, his contributions to the music community can't be overstated. As a fellow reviewer, I am doubly saddended to read of his passing.

To Jim's family and loved ones, I hope you can find some peace and serenity in the coming days. Please know that Jim was loved and cared about by many many people, here at the Hypnos forum and  elsewheres. His legacy will not soon be forgotten, if it ever will be.

Rest in Peace, Jim.

Bill

terraamb

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 12:46:31 PM »
Tom-
My deepest sympathies to you and Jim's family. The world will be lacking without him.

I have attached some thoughts i wrote about Jim in my blog:

I was deeply grieved to hear that a friend and supporter passed away. Jim Brenholts passed away this past evening. Unfortunately, I don’t have the specifics of his death, and his family is still reeling, but Jim had heart problems for many years leading up to his death.

Jim was, for all intensive purposes, the catalyst for my musical career. Back in 2000, i was introduced to Jim. He was already a fervent supporter of ambient/space music. When he heard my first musical endeavors (The Darker Space) he became completely engaged and immediately began helping me to network within the community. He introduced me to artist and engineer Robert Rich, who ultimately mastered the CD and helped me to get in touch with Tony Gerber at Spaceformusic.com, who published it. Throughout the years, Jim was there to support me, enourage me and give frank and objective council on my music and my business efforts. As Ben, Daniel and I started Lotuspike, as we produced and promoted live ambient music concerts, Jim was there to lend a hand however he could.

Jim was also an active reviewer. He was always one of the first to review my CDs, as well as the releases of Lotupike. And not just us, Jim was a a noted reviewer across the community. Everyone looked forward to reading his reviews and there is hardly an ambient artists’ site out there that does not have at least one of Jim’s reviews represented on it.

In later years, Jim became an explorer and creator of ambient soundscapes himself, recording under the moniker Rigel Orionis, Jim established himself as competent artist as well as passionate listener and reviewer.

If it hadn’t been for Jim, I don’t know that my musical path would have gelled the way that it has. That I would have met half of the people with whom I’ve collaborated and made friendships over the years. I regret that we lost contact over later years, as I relocated across the country and our lives went their their own directions. Jim was passionate. If you knew him, you we’re a friend to him. He was one of the most compassionate souls I’ve ever known. He loved everyone. Music seemed to be his catalyst for expressing his passions. For his family, his friends and his life’s pursuits.

I don’t know if it’s irony or the turning of the Universe, but one of the last (or possibly THE last) reviews that Jim wrote was for my latest CD, Wanderlust. He emailed it to me a day or so prior to his passing. This obviously has great emotional impact for me. That the man who essentially started my musical career should leave this testament to my work as one of his final comments. I have included the review below.

Jim will be sorely missed. Not just by me, but by a whole community. You have touched so many lives and made a profound impact on a genre of music. Your positive energy, while still part of the universe, will definately be missed on this earthly plane.

Buenos dios, Muchacho.

………………………………………………………………..

Terra Ambient - Wanderlust
Lotuspike

Jeff Kowal creates deep ambient soundscapes under the nom de plume Terra Ambient. Wanderlust is his third release and it finds Jeff exploring new territories and horizons.

In his liner notes, Jeff discusses the evolution of the album as a journal for his transitions over a three-year period, including relocation from Pittsburgh to New Mexico. The music became somewhat of a catharsis. He described as “the music that I needed to make.”

Jeff combines drifting passages with overt and subtle rhythms. His atmospheric structures are vast, wide and expansive. They drift around the listening area, transforming it into a meditation chamber.

The disc opens with two pieces that are somewhat more active. They are excellent for hypnotic movement and active meditation. The percussion on the second track approaches and borders on techno but does not cross the line. The rhythms contrast and compliment the atmospheres.

Track three presents deeper atmospheric ambience with strong overtones and eclectic timbres. This is where Jeff absolutely excels. He combines organic textures, desert ambience and tribal timbres to deliver a unique sound that is truly his own.

While this is a musical journal of Jeff’s transitions, it is also a vehicle for private journeys. The flexibility and variety allow for many different experiences, each having its own, well, Wanderlust.

In a relatively short time, Jeff has established himself as one of the top electric ambient masters of the new millennium. He is a true artiste.

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 01:29:06 PM »
Jim's passion for our music came through with every word he wrote. We will miss him, even those of us who never met him.

Tom Brenholts

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 01:46:26 PM »
Thank you, everyone. It appears Jim had a heart attack last night while typing on the computer. Dad called him and talked to him around 6PM, and I called him at 9PM, just to say hello and that I was thinking of him, but he didn't answer; he must have been gone by then. Linda came home later and found him slumped on the floor.

Without question, Jim was fortunate to experience the love of his grandchildren; they idolized him, and he loved them so, so dearly. They will miss him so much. He leaves a hole in all our lives, but especially in theirs. They were lucky as well, to have a grandfather who loved them so unconditionally.

When Jim and I were growing up, in the mid 60s and early 70s, we used to share and argue about music; I listened to Beatles and Stones, he listened to Yes and ELP. Our tastes criss-crossed somewhat; we both listened to King Crimson. When the punk and new wave scene hit, we both loved just about everything, but he was still supplementing his Clash and PIL records with Gentle Giant, and Fripp and Eno  and Music for Airports. We went to see Elvis Costello and Blondie and Patty Smith, but we also saw The League of Gentlemen (awesome show, encore was a 30 minute version of Steve Winwood's "Walking in the Wind" that started off as free form noodling, evolved into the theme, soared into the heavens, degenerated into shapelessness and petered out). In the late '80s Jim started listening to instrumental music exclusively; in addition to electronic and ambient music, he also loved classical music, symphonic music. As in everything he did, there was no halfway; he would have 5 different versions of the same symphony, preferring each at different times for different reasons. He really had a discerning ear, and a beautiful way of expressing it. We didn't always agree on what we liked, but I could read what he wrote and hear what he heard and understand.

We both grew up as Pittsburgh Pirates fans; fans as in, fanatics, and even when we were at odds with each other (as brothers often are), we found common ground in our Buccos. We went to hundreds of games together, and we made the Pirates' 100th anniversary yearbook. This is my favorite picture of us together, back in our hell-raising days, 1979. That's Jim, front and center, and me behind Willie's hand. We had us some times.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 02:00:28 PM »
Wow...  this is just so sad. 

I never met Jim, but had many email exchanges with him over the years.  We used to swap CD's - he was always so psyched about his music, and would often send me his latest stuff, usually prefaced by an email saying "Hey Forrest, did I send you (latest disk name here)?  No?!  I'll get it out today!" - sure enough, I'd get a package a few days later, crammed with disks.  He never asked for money or anything in return; he just loved to share his musical explorations, like a kid out in the woods - "Hey, look at that!  and THAT!  Wow!"

Rest in peace, Jim.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

jblock

• View Profile
    • synthblock
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 02:33:07 PM »
This is so sad. Jim was such an enthusiastic proponent and knowledgeable of the whole genre. It was great to communicate with him for so many years and then to see him move from just an enthusiast to a musician.

My heart goes out to his entire family. What a loss, but a gentle reminder as well of how fleeting this life is. Heaven won't know what hit it. RIP Jim.
Jonathan Block
www.synthblock.com

MarkM

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 04:59:29 PM »
I'm so sorry to read the news. It seemed he was on the mend from his last heart attack. Jim was a great proponent for ambient music, and he will be missed.

James Johnson

• hello?
    • View Profile
    • James Johnson
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 05:09:10 PM »
My sincerest condolences to Jim's family...truly a tragic loss for his family and the ambient/new age community at large. I've met no other who has even come close to Jim's outspoken passion and support for ambient/new age music.

James Johnson

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 06:18:19 PM »
Ack. Although Jim and I tangled (more often than not) back in the NHB zone, it was perfectly clear he
was a passionate and fun guy and this is very sad news. OTOH he seemed to charge through right to the end and that's deserving of a smile!

Wish we'd met, Jim.

M

saulstokes

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
My Sincerest condolences. I always looked forward to reading his post and on occasion had personal correspondence with him. Very sad day to learn this.

Saul

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 07:22:31 PM »
Thanks for your posts, Tom.

I'm very saddened and surprised to hear of this.  As you can tell from the responses so far, your brother was well-loved and respected by our tiny ambient community.  I remember first hearing from Jim when he was finishing up his ambient/electronic guide, Tracks Across the Universe.  His enthusiasm was infectious and I always felt encouraged by his kind feedback and sheer breadth of his knowledge of our genre.  I came into ambient music via progressive music, too, so I can certainly relate to Jim's love of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and other classics from the golden era of prog (I was an ELP and Yes fan, too, though I liked much of the late 70s-early 80s punk movement, too (anyone remember Husker Du?)).  Jim was never short of opinions, of course, but that's what I always admired about him.  I was also appreciative of his support when I had medical problems of my own recently.  My sincerest condolences to Jim's family.  You all have our support during this very difficult time.

Forrest

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2009, 07:41:46 PM »
Thank you, Tom, for thinking of us in what must be a heart breaking time for you.  My condolences and best wishes for Jim's family and friends, especially the youngest.

Like many here I knew him only through his posts, but I feel I knew him well enough that I'll miss him.

Kevin.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

palancar

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 07:59:46 PM »
Very sad news indeed. I did not know Jim personally but I know his music and have seen the positive impact he has had on the ambient music community. Nearly everybody seems to know him or know of him. We'll be playing his music on StillStream a lot over the next several days, and sending positive thoughts to his family.

Darrell
http://stillstream.com

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2009, 09:09:15 PM »
The thing about Jim is that he never seemed to post big, long winded comments ever, yet I feel like I knew him better than just about any person on this forum.  Very genuine and compassionate guy. 

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 01:23:49 AM »
RIP Jim Brenholts

His final post here aptly showed the boundless enthusiasm and positivity that he had, for the music
that he loved.

Sad news indeed.

Pete

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 08:13:32 AM »
The biggest drag about people dying is that you can't talk to them on the phone anymore.  With Jim, I'll miss the comments.  Sad news, indeed.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 10:22:17 AM »
Thank you Tom for filling us in on this sad day. My Sincerest condolences to you and Jim's family. I only spoke with Jim a couple times on the phone and had a few email conversations, most of my connection with him was through this website were we share a love of this music. Jim was very passionate, he was a pillar of this community and a great supporter to all of us in whatever we were doing. He will be greatly missed by many many people.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell