Author Topic: Sad News  (Read 23849 times)

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
Re: Sad News
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 11:42:20 AM »
Wow, this is shocking and sad, and has really caught most of us off guard I am sure.

I knew Jim for close to a decade and on a personal level I am just stunned by this news. Like many of us who followed his health struggles in recent years you always thought, "its ok its Jim, he will pull through again"...

What stands out the most for me was his wonderful blind enthusiasm he had for life! If Jim loved something...that was it he was all in. Anyone who talked or corresponded with Jim for any length of time could feel how much he loved his wife, his family (especially his grandchildren), ambient music, this community and all of the friends he made here.

He was a warm thoughtful fellow and he was an open book, he would eagerly talk about his life, his struggles, his convictions, his recovery, his health, his Faith and his  triumphs.

In our community, well he simply loved this music unconditionally, he enjoyed and encouraged the naive newcomer and championed them right alongside his favorite old masters with an almost evangelical zeal to anyone who would listen. As musicians, we were all his favorites, he was just that accepting.

Today we lost one of our genre's biggest cheerleaders and enthusiasts and I am deeply saddened. Our world just got a little darker, and heaven a little brighter.

Be at peace Brother!
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Tom Brenholts

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 05:14:10 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm sitting here with our Dad, reading your tributes; we knew Jim was part of the community, but we had no idea how deeply he was ingrained. We are deeply moved.

Tomorrow, before we leave for the viewing, I am going to print out this topic and share it with Jim's family and friends. It is important to know how much he meant to his friends.

------------
This is Jim's father. I didn't know him the same way you did. When we were younger, I managed him on the baseball teams. I taught him to drive. We went on vacations. I made him cut the grass. I was at both his weddings. He was my son. I will miss him.

Shane Morris

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 07:42:49 PM »
My sincere condolences to the family. Jim's positive spirit will be truly missed.

Like many others...Jim gave me some kind words of encouragement when I was getting started...which really meant a lot to me.
People like Jim are what make this ambient movement and he will always be remembered as one of the finest proponents for the power of ambient music.

Sincerely,
Shane Morris
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:15:56 AM by Shane Morris »

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 09:07:08 PM »

Today we lost one of our genre's biggest cheerleaders and enthusiasts and I am deeply saddened. Our world just got a little darker, and heaven a little brighter.

I've been reading these posts and trying to think of what I could say and have come up empty. I think Paul sums up my feelings very well. We will miss you , Jim.    Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 10:04:30 PM »
I've been posting here regularly since about 2001 when I was "Orion32".  It will be sad and strange without Jim Brenholts on the Forum.  What amazed me most about Jim was his razor sharp wit, honesty, and positive support of this music and the musicians who make it.  He was always positive, I don't remember reading anything but positive words from him here, and that says a lot about someone's character.  My deepest sympathy goes out to Jim's family and friends.

Chris Knowlton   

vidnaObmana

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2009, 10:52:54 PM »
Just found out the sad news about Jim's passing.  I truly believe that Jim was one of the die-hards who kept on fighting for an ambient/electronic music community without boundaries.  His enthusiasm in his correspondence, writing reviews (he wrote plenty on my music) and his perseverance in sharing everything so passionate about our little subculture made him stand out.
He leaves us unexpected but we'll remember him forever...   
www.dirkserries.com
tonefloatikon.bandcamp.com
newwaveofjazz.bandcamp.com
fearfallsburning.bandcamp.com

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2009, 04:00:30 AM »
I count myself as fortunate for knowing Jim through this forum and his music.

Via the latter, Jim & Rigel Orionis will live on.

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2009, 06:22:28 AM »
echo all that has been said
like tears in the rain

h

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2009, 04:22:49 PM »
Though it doesn't include anything much that hasn't been covered here already, other than one photograph, I thought I'd mention that the Hypnos News page does include a mention of Jim's passing, under the posting date of 10-19-2009.  Here's the link:

http://www.hypnos.com/news.php

Here's the photo for those who already have read this topic and wonder what Jim looked like in 2000 (edit: actually 2002) after the Jeff Pearce and M. Griffin and D. Fulton concert in Philadelphia.  Here from left to right:  

Stephen Philips (Dark Duck Records), Jeff Kowal (aka Terra Ambient), Dave Fulton, Mike Griffin (Hypnos), Jim Brenholts, Jeff Pearce

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 04:33:15 PM by mgriffin »
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

jeff pearce

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2009, 04:30:55 PM »
Mike,

I was rough seeing that pic again, but thanks for posting it.

A slight correction:  that photo was from October 2002- not 2000.  Check the gatherings website if you don't believe me... :)

Jeff

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2009, 04:33:53 PM »
You're right, Jeff -- both Bleed and Imprint, which were officially released at that show, came out in 2002.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

1000snakes

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2009, 04:35:24 PM »
Thanks Mike!

Chad Hoefler

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »
Yes, thanks Mike!

Stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2009, 02:45:43 PM »
oh yeah, i remember that show.  the one where Dave Fulton was rocking and Mike was posting to the hypnos forum during the show  ;D  good times.

drkappa

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2009, 03:43:44 PM »
It was a shock to read in the Groove E-news of the end of a star.
Rigel Orionis, a brilliant supergiant in the ambient-music skies,
illuminated our musical cosmos with his diverse knowledge from across
the universe.

Sadly he will no longer be in our firmament, but his legacy remains,
not least his passionate and humorous contributions to this forum.
I will miss those.

Is there any chance of a dedication compilation album by artists
whom Jim helped?
Malcolm Currie
   If you have been...

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2009, 04:09:07 PM »
whom Jim helped?

Cool idea.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2009, 04:21:15 PM »
whom Jim helped?

That would probably be hundreds! I was listening to some of "Tracks Across The Universe"
today while doing some paperwork and there's dozens of artists on there alone.
That said - dreamSTATE would be honoured to contribute to such a tribute to Jim.

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2009, 10:54:13 PM »
Any musicians that would like to contribute a song to Jim, please let me know and I will be happy to post the songs both on mine(Imagineer Records) and his web site, Rigel Orionis...

email me at contact@imagineerrecords.com

I am currently working on a dedication page for Jim...

thanks...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:02:56 PM by einstein36 »
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

Major Minor

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2009, 11:41:30 PM »
Haven't been around here in ages, but re-signed on to say that I was deeply saddened to hear of Jim's passing.
Part of the shock is that it just seemed like he would always be around.
I only recently bumped into him again on facebook
and was really glad to see him around again.

Tom, I am so sorry for your loss... you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Rest In Peace, Jim.

Paul Ellis

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2009, 03:17:50 AM »
This very sad news has put me into quite an existential state.

Great to see so many people paying respects to a great musician. 

Farewell Jim. 
Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com