Author Topic: Alio Die  (Read 15455 times)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
Alio Die
« on: January 18, 2008, 06:23:04 PM »
Listened to Mother Sunrise recently, after wrongfully neglecting it for some time, and I guess it was the right moment because it blew me away more than ever before. This prompted me also to bring out another Sola Translatio, Ad Infinitum, which for some vague reasons I could never get into, and which had been languishing in the 'to sell' pile for many months. I listened to it in recumbent position while reading some bizarre literature, and found it to be the perfect accompaniment, clicking for me as it had not done before. This is the kind of music whose realm you really have to 'get' to get into. It is such an enveloping world all its own, where the laws of Ambient (if these can be said to even exist in any solid form) truly do reign. Pure celebration of texture and tone, an unsurpassed (except perhaps by compatriot Oophoi) evocation of place, and a beauty all the more deep and strange for being undefinable, ungraspable. I've always like Stefano Musso's music, but it was kind of in the shadows of my collection, never collected to the level of Rich, Roach, Oophoi, and Vidna. I'm looking forward to an infusion of albums (Khen Introduce Silence, the two most recent 5000 Spirits albums, Raag Drone Theory, Suspended Feathers, and Enigma) to correct this imbalance, and wanted to reopen the discussion of Alio Die's work...

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Alio Die
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 06:43:16 PM »
Glad you've been enjoying Mother Sunrise lately!

Alio Die is definitely one of those artists, like Oophoi as you mentioned, or Steve Roach, with whose work listeners tend to familiarize themselves slowly or gradually at first, and at some point "get it" and start to buy every CD in sight.

[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 07:26:56 PM »
9 Dragons-

Oddly, Mother Sunrise had the same effect on me- couldn't get into it, couldn't get into it, and then suddenly, "Click"! Now I consider it one of Stefano's finest.

Next step: you simply MUST get Apsaras! Drop-dead gorgeous drones & watery sound samples, along with Amelia Cuni's wordless vocals. I put off ordering this at first, because I had misgivings about vocals on an ambient disc, but her voice adds to the ambience rather than distracting. Perhaps Stefano's finest.

Another highlight for me is Password for Entheogenic Experience- deep, intense, trippy & hypnotic. Smoke a joint and wear headphones for this one, if you're so inclined... (no, forget it, that would be against the law. ;))

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 09:40:36 PM »
I've been an Alio Die fan for many, many years and happen to own every CD he ever made. They're all spectacular! The Password for Entheogenic Experience and Expanding Horizon are my favorite. His works under the Five Thousand Spirits moniker, except for the very first one, are not exactly my cup of  tea (too many analogue sounds, less organic). His early works are all a true classic. It is thanks to him and M Grassow that I developed a taste for ambient music. Amazingly, every ambient CD I tend to subconsciously measure against their music....

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:43:50 AM »
9 Dragons-

Oddly, Mother Sunrise had the same effect on me- couldn't get into it, couldn't get into it, and then suddenly, "Click"! Now I consider it one of Stefano's finest.

Next step: you simply MUST get Apsaras! Drop-dead gorgeous drones & watery sound samples, along with Amelia Cuni's wordless vocals. I put off ordering this at first, because I had misgivings about vocals on an ambient disc, but her voice adds to the ambience rather than distracting. Perhaps Stefano's finest.

Another highlight for me is Password for Entheogenic Experience- deep, intense, trippy & hypnotic. Smoke a joint and wear headphones for this one, if you're so inclined... (no, forget it, that would be against the law. ;))

Listened to Apsaras this evening, and it is as gorgeous as ever. I tend to save it for special occasions, but it sounds so luxuriant and soothing that it is tempting to listen to every day. Speaking of headphones, I think in part it is due to some really nice headphones that were gifted to me recently that I have been getting back into some neglected music. Having a nice pair of headphones seems to make all the music as if heard for the first time. This is especially great for Oophoi and Alio Die, where it is so layered and so rich with subtle detail. Finally was able to blow my mind to Distance to Zero, which took quite a while to finally crack, but is now one of my favorites. I've owned Password for some time now; I think it is one of the first Alio Die albums I got hold of, and probably one of the first truly 'Ambient' albums I bought, and it quite blew me away when I first heard it! It is due for the headphone treatement soon...

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 10:55:56 PM by 9dragons »

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 11:39:31 AM »
I love Alio Die threads.  I never hesitate to try to turn people on to 'suspended feathers' - IMO Musso's 'On Land' recording.  This was the one that drew me in to AD.  I picked up everything before that and everything since without hesitation.

Jason
infractionrecords.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:43:09 AM »
I love Suspended Feathers too, and it was one of my earliest ambient purchases, but my favorite thing by Alio Die is Fissures, his collaboration with Robert Rich.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 05:45:55 AM »
Have to add my thumbs up for Suspended Feathers and Fissures.

Also love Echo Passage and Descendre Cinq Lacs Au Travers D'Une Voilé.

As 9dragons says - Having a nice pair of headphones seems to make all the music as if heard for the first time - good headphones are essential, allowing the difference between listening with speakers for the overall 'air' of a piece and the ability to get right into the subtlties of every sound. And it is worth spending extra to get good ones

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 06:06:38 PM »
I listened to Seren's "Realms Beyond the Stars and Light" on headphones last night and drifted out of my body...

What do people here think of the new Alio Die releases (End of an Era, Raag Drone Theory, Eleusian Lullaby)?  Eleusian was the best of the three for me, Raag Drone left me a bit cold and seemed a bit redundant after the better "Sunja" release.  I've been a fan since about '93.  The only release I did not like was Angel's Fly Souvenir, with the strange snoring sounds.  It put me to sleep, literally....!

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 07:52:42 PM »
I felt the same way about Angels Fly Souvenir- the snoring was irritating and obnoxious.

Has anyone mentioned Under An Holy Ritual?  I love that one. Very intense & dark.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 08:22:54 PM »
I hope Raag Drone Theory is as masterful as Sunja, though I use the latter primarily as sleep or ultra-chill accompaniment. Never got around to getting Under An Holy Ritual, is it considered one the best? Speaking of annoying noises, I particulary don't like that hyper whistling sound of the burning log that Alio Die is so fond of using (heard in Il Tempo Magico di Saturnia Pavonia, and it seems like in another track somewhere else). It seems that AD reuses certain field recordings on different albums (or maybe I am imagining it), which I don't object to outright, just find that it detracts from the uniqueness and mystery if it is not disguised well enough, and sounds identical to another track. One of the masterful things of AD is that he gets such alien and vibrant field recordings, and puts them to work for his music like no other artist out there. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I even like Saturnia all the way through. Got it mainly cause I liked the title, but haven't been drawn to it much. Fissures is definitely due for a listen tonight though. Got to play some 'catch up' before the new shipment of albums comes in and I cast aside the old stuff like a spoiled kid with too many toys for that beloved first time listening experience. It is interesting to note how many people seem to enjoy the headphone listening. I had denied it for a long time, as the phones seemed too claustrophobic. For a time I lived in a room with hardwood floors, and the acoustics seemed to be really nice, the sounds crisp and very present. After moving to an apartment with carpet, the sound is dampened and seems flat. This is what has slowly led me to the headphone world.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 03:24:54 AM »
Really enjoyed a late night/sleep listen of Raag Drone Theory; on first listen it seems a fitting sequel to Sunja. Kind of feeling strange about the 5000 Spirits releases though. They are intriguing and require some more listens. Got quite annoyed with Schwarzchild Radius on the first listen though. This could be a good sign, or, as will be revealed with further listening, a bad one. Hard to tell. I usally dislike what will turn out to be my favorite releases. The 5000 Spirits could just be straight up annoying, though had a very good listen to Quantuum Consciousness. This is unfamiliar territory for Alio Die. He is branching out here, really getting weird. Is it overly abrasive and poorly put together, or is it alchemical genius? I have yet to find out.

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 09:54:43 AM »
I am a great big Alio Die fan, and I'd be hard pressed to name a release of his, solo or otherwise, that I did not like (I even got used to the snoring  :P).

For whatever reason, I only like a few of the 5000 Spirits albums, specifically Mesmeric Revelation (which is right up there with the best, in my opinion) and Quantum Consciousness.  My theory with the others is that the more canned "techno-industrial" synths and percussion just sound out of place with the rest of the blissful atmospheres.  This was particularly annoying on Schwarzchild Radius, where all the high-pitched clap-trap got in the way of my psychoactive groove.  Even after repeated listens, the records seemed thin and never stuck.  A matter of taste for me, I suspect, since I've never found much to enjoy about Runes Order either....

An Alio Die release you never hear much about is the marvelous Incantamento which has to be one of the trippiest hours of music I've ever heard.  8)

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 01:46:25 PM »
I never got into Mesmeric Revelation. Wish I still had it, as my taste in music is perhaps more perceptive than that time. Quantum Consciousness is enjoyable on the headphones, with some strange sounds and juxtapozitions that merit further listening. Still have that newly bought cd need to not give up on Schwarzschild Radius, but I have trouble getting into music that intentionally tries to antagonize the mind with abusive sounds. The quote on the back "PREPARE TO HAVE YOUR REALITY SHATTERED" is kind of a bold statement to make...but maybe this explains why the album is so unnerving. Again, though, sometimes music is just plain annoying, and no amount of theorizing can change that.

As far as Incantamento, how similar is the material on it to the double disc collaboration Expanding Horizon?

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 01:49:29 PM »
What is the opinion on the new vocal album Eleusian Lullaby? I really like Apsaras, and disliked Meijyu. This new one looks really good, but I am short on cash, and am wondering, is it really good, as in different enough from the others (and from other Alio Die) to be a necessary purchase? How do you feel about it?

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 06:40:55 AM »
What is the opinion on the new vocal album Eleusian Lullaby? I really like Apsaras, and disliked Meijyu. This new one looks really good, but I am short on cash, and am wondering, is it really good, as in different enough from the others (and from other Alio Die) to be a necessary purchase? How do you feel about it?

My opinion is that it's the best of the three.  Outstanding CD!

BTW, three new Hic Sunt Leones titles out now:

The new work by ALIO DIE it is part of the Castle's sonorisation series, titled AURA SEMINALIS. The few people had already occasion to listen to it leaved enthusiastic feedback! An epicentre of a mystic atmosphere and an ascension arcane purity.

The first solo CD by ZEIT will be a true revelation..after the two album in collaboration with Alio Die with a more acoustic quality, in 'WAVES FROM THE SKY' Tommaso Cimò undertake electronic orchestrations with insert og guitars and bass perfectly integrated, you can find attachments with the best mystic and cosmic music of the 70', traslated with subtle sensibility in new territories with a very fine touch.

The new CD by STEFANO SCALA  'IMPERMANENCE' have is focus on Tibet, where Stefano Scala went for musical researches and recordings some years ago, An album that is more close to the Hic Sunt Leones releases then the previously 'Il Tempo del Sogno'.

Stefano says the new Alio Die is only available through website and Discogs.com, fyi.  Also, apparently an Alio Die/Aglaia collaboration is in the pipeline @ Infraction for 2008.  :)

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »
Getting deep in to the 5000 Spirits...The two albums I got are now some of my favorite...They are truly quite amazing and most definitely live up to the quip on the booklet claiming to blow your reality apart (or something like that)...Cosmic ambient with beats and a wealth of challenging, intriguing, gorgeous sounds and juxtapositions. I think it is an epic move for Alio Die, similar to Steve Roach teaming up with Vir Unis for Body Electric and Blood Machine...

leech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 08:16:43 AM »
...my favorite thing by Alio Die is Fissures, his collaboration with Robert Rich.

yeah - i like the album Fissures, its the only Alio Die ive heard so far.

i often see bird like creatures being swept away across lakescapes before it morphs or merges into the surrounding silhouettes - regardly of the track titles :P
When you look at art made by other people, you see what you need to see in it. -- Giacometti.

GordonDanis

• "Because I had to get it all in"-John Coltrane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 06:44:12 PM »
Mike G. is right on about Stefano's work-it is somewhat of an acquired taste, but once acquired, listeners glutton themselves on every work of his and on his label, Hic Sunt Leones.

That being said, his most recent work, Aura Seminalis, represents a marked departure from the sameness of some of his recent recordings.  As Brian B. aptly said, it almost sounds like a different artist entirely.  Any artist who can reinvent themselves so thoroughly, in such a satisying manner, is someone who will always interest me.
-gd

Undershadow

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 07:25:45 AM »

Hmm... what do we make of this pairing of AD with Bruno Sanfilippo:

Not too sure about Seňor Sanfilippo’s stuff = a bit derivative, and somewhat queasy on the ear on the evidence of some of these clips anyway: http://www.bruno-sanfilippo.com/InTRO%201.htm but there are some nice moments in the collab on this “InTROsacro” track.