Author Topic: New O Yuki Conjugate CD/DVD  (Read 1731 times)

drone on

• View Profile
New O Yuki Conjugate CD/DVD
« on: November 24, 2009, 11:50:52 PM »
Looking for reviews/comments on "OYC25" CD/DVD on Soleilmoon.  If you have it/will get it, please post away!

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
Re: New O Yuki Conjugate CD/DVD
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 10:41:32 AM »
I was thinking of getting it, thanks for the reminder :)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 10:26:10 PM »
OK, here's my mini review:  CD is very good, but quite minimal in nature, has a live jam/improvisational feel to it, using heavily processed guitar (courtesy Rob Jenkins of Redshift and Stone Idols fame), bass, and electronics (think quiet ambient dub, Jon Hassell, etc.)  In a way, this is a good thing as it's not as heavily structured as their previous albums. The first 3 tracks has no percussion, so if you're expecting "Equator" or "Peyote" part two, might be disappointed. Wouldn't exactly call this one tribal, in other words, but it is definitely droney, organic ritual music.  The DVD is very good too, although a bit short.  Starts with a short film documenting how all past OYC members met up in a studio to record this album in celebrating 25 years.  Follows with another (short) '93/'94 European tour film w/travel footage, brief interviews...Finally a brief (maybe 15 min.) snippet of a performance from 2007 with great psychedelic imagery, too bad it was not longer.  All in all, I heartily recommend this to all OYC lovers.   

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 01:19:32 AM »
thanks for the review Drone On.
actually i wasn't sure after hearing various excerpts of this new OYC..
but i'll wait for next year purchasing it, i reached my limit this month already  :o

p.s. just found MP3s to stream the 'whole' tracks, doesn't sound bad though.. but keep on pushing the play-button :-)
http://peoplesmusicstore.com/catalogue_items/548086
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 02:31:48 AM by jim02 »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 03:07:02 AM »
Oh yeah, another thing I didn't like about the DVD: they don't identify band members during interviews.  Frustrating not to put a name to a face.  I assume the bald guy slumped over in a chair doing electronics is Andrew Hulme (OYC main man)...

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 11:13:46 AM »
We have this in stock, now, if anyone's interested:

http://hypnos.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=sol93

[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

nuun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 07:09:09 AM »
Hi,
I love this release.
Indeed, this has now real link with their past releases from the 80ies & 90ies, but it goes further in the style offered with Euphoria of disobedience.
Even if the whole sound is in the labtop mainstream vein with mostly minimal electronic, dub-like rythms, flutes and processed guitars, OYC sets its own touch.
I personaly rather like the DVD than the CD.
OYC delivers a nice music with the CD : minimal electronic, soft electronic rythms, distant sound via processed instruments. The third track is a link between the past and the present, as it shows the come back of flutes. In some ways, this track sounds like a fully re-arranged and modern version of "Transcontinental". 16 minutes of wonderful hypnotic music.
About the DVD, I LOVE the live set. 27 minutes (no second less or more) of minimal electronic, soft rythms (like a ghost of their tribal sound) and delicate touches of guitars.
The CD remix is cool too (more than 30 min).
The Tour document is not that interesting ; to me it's just anecdotic : the only interest is to know that some members had hairs on the top thier heads (kidding) :-)
In the end, this CD/DVD is recommended to those who like electronic music and OYC. If you look for a follow up to Equator, Peyote and those tribal/ambient era, just look elsewhere.
Leave you to listen to the live set for the 7th time :-)

nuun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 07:11:28 AM »
and I double DRONE ON following update: "All in all, I heartily recommend this to all OYC lovers".