Author Topic: Ableton Live 8.1 and Max4Live support released  (Read 1718 times)

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
Ableton Live 8.1 and Max4Live support released
« on: November 26, 2009, 12:24:01 PM »
Hello,

Not sure if anyone uses Max/MSP but Live now officially has a release which supports it. 8.1 came out recently but I am not going to spend any money (unemployed) for Max4Live ($299 for Live 8 owners I believe, $99 for Max owners to get Max4Live). Anyways, it seems to be a bigger/burlier/harder to learn program than Reaktor (which already has tons of stuff made by users) so I don't see me getting it.

Anyone upgrade to Live 8 anyways? Going for Max4Live?

Mike

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Ableton Live 8.1 and Max4Live support released
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 09:31:38 AM »
I've considered trying Max/MSP at some point (in fact I think there was a forum topic about this years ago), especially since Cycling74 has been bugging me to buy it ever since I bought some other product from them, but I always feel like it would involve taking on a huge, new learning project.  Wouldn't mind seeing a demo of "Max for Live" but I don't think the integration would really be a big selling point for me.  It seems like Live and Max/MSP are sort of opposite ends of the music application spectrum.  One is a "sit down and start tinkering and within 3 minutes you're making something that sounds cool," and one of them is more "lock yourself in a room with a pot of coffee and a manual and a computer for a weekend and you'll start to figure out what the program is capable of doing... and you might actually do some cool things with it after another month or so."

Also I'm still using Live 6 and I'm fine with it. 
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

saulstokes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 11:51:33 PM »
I bought this upgrade. First, all the extra Max plug ins are great (especially since they're rebuilt for Live) and are worth the upgrade. However, when I explode a plug in into Max mode I get an instant headache. So, I exit immediately. It's painful looking and about as unmusical as you can get. I can easily see it; hundreds of hours down the tube with nothing but a terrible half baked filter in the end.

On the flip side there's a ton of what they call "tools" which are little pieces of synths and effects that you can sort of patch together. Very fun.

My thought is that in about 6 months there will be tons of great user created max plugins for free download. That's why I upgraded.

Anyone watching the IT CROWD? I'm addicted....

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 09:39:11 PM »
Well if you have Reaktor u got a HUGE library already at your fingertips. Max/MSP is a beast from what I understand of it, a big learning curve (like reaktor if u go under the hood and understand all this stuff). But as Mike said, wait and see 6 months down the road what folks have created for it. I can't afford it so won't be doing so for awhile, if at all. But glad it is finally in there at the least for Live.

Mike