Author Topic: musicians, sound artists and noise-makers -- what's new?  (Read 17622 times)

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
Re: musicians, sound artists and noise-makers -- what's new?
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2009, 09:40:15 PM »
You should post an *.als file so we can see what you're doing for ideas!

triksterb

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2009, 12:33:24 AM »
You should post an *.als file so we can see what you're doing for ideas!

Sure, I'd love to, so people could try it and tweak it a little bit!  Do I have to delete the third party plugins first, though, or will Live just disable them?  I've never uploaded an .als file before, so I'm not sure what the proper procedure is...

In the meantime, here's a screenshot of it: http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9898/setupy.png

This was an old one I created half a year ago.  It's pretty simple as far as my projects go; track names indicate what kind of effects are on the tracks, and you can see the routing on it too.  The sound source has an audio effect rack mapped to my MIDI controller which can change the sound a lot; the grain delay sounds really good after it goes through all of those tracks.  Also, yeah, CPU is at 62%, but my computer can handle it fine; never had any glitches in the audio, my computer is just not as fast as others.  Everything you see I pretty much set up before ever inserting Absynth on track 1.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 03:59:43 AM »
I think I have an unusual approach to making music.  I only have a laptop with Ableton Live and Absynth 4, so I do it all in Live.  Often times what I'll do is create a patch in Absynth in standalone mode, and then save it and open up Live. 

But I don't open the patch right away; I spend a lot of time making complex routings in Live like having track 1 go to send 1 which goes to track 2 which goes to send 2 etc...  On all of these tracks and sends I set up different effects with different parameters, and have a final track which takes all of the previous tracks before it and goes to the master.  On one project, I have 5 tracks and 5 sends going back and forth, all with reverbs with different parameters on them, and some grain delay on the final track, and it came amazingly close to sounding like a Steve Roach piece.  I do all of this without ever listening to the initial patch, so when I'm done with routing stuff, I load up Absynth on track 1 and see what happens.  Oftentimes, it works amazingly well.  A patch with a short 1 second attack can take as long as 10 seconds for it to sound on the master channel through all of the effects.  It sounds nothing like what the patch originally was, and is really just a smear of sound of all the reverb and delay that it goes through, but it sounds wonderful.

Ableton Live is really great.  I actually had a <1 second sample the other day and turned it into a 5 minute piece through a complex routing.  This way probably seems a little weird, but for me it produces great results. 

Sounds much like what I do, but without the computer - bouncing sound back and forth through a variety of effects - will have to look into trying it - I have sonar 5, so will need tov read up on the routing, if it is possible.....

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 11:10:53 AM »
I haven't created any ambient stuff in a couple of years now, has the statute of limitations run out for me yet?

The last thing I did was on my laptop with a softsynth and then I just captured it as an audio file. Its amazing how minimal you can get these days. Maybe next I'll do a piece with just one patch, no tweeking, modulation or effects, and record it in mono at 22Hz.  ;D

Steve
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 02:57:13 PM by sraymar »
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

solyaris

• http://solyaris.altervista.org
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 09:19:11 AM »
My music is produced "only" treating guitars inputs... ;-)

until I'll repair an old rhodes mark I ...

an electric guitar or an electric piano .. the concept is the same;

as some of you know because some flames in past,
I prefer to use analogical / acoustic waves as input ...
just because in this manner I achieve some mystery, that synth never give to me ...

giorgio

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2009, 12:27:22 PM »
It's all good Giorgio, whether a gorgeous Rhodes, guitar, bass, cello, analog modular, digital synth, softsynths, laptop algorhythms, or a box of rocks shaken into a microphone with heavy reverb...

Whatever instruments speak to *you* - that's what *you* should use.    (and trying to have a bit of tolerance for people who use other instruments would be handy in those pesky flame wars in the future...   Grin!   ;-)

John     
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

solyaris

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 03:03:06 AM »
It's all good Giorgio, whether a gorgeous Rhodes, guitar, bass, cello, analog modular, digital synth, softsynths, laptop algorhythms, or a box of rocks shaken into a microphone with heavy reverb...

Whatever instruments speak to *you* - that's what *you* should use.    (and trying to have a bit of tolerance for people who use other instruments would be handy in those pesky flame wars in the future...   Grin!   ;-)

John    

no no ;-) big misunderstanding; no more flame, I can not spent further time ..
whoever want to remain inside the Matrix can do it, without my complain,
but Freedom is always outside the matrix, or, quoting the movie "Another brick in the wall" ...

"who love you .... it's outside the wall" ... the fire-wall ;-)

ah ah!
regards
giorgio
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:07:31 AM by solyaris »

False Mirror

• View Profile
    • False Mirror
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 04:16:01 PM »
I'm currently working alot with my own software which is called (will be called) WAVE. However it is not released to the public yet, but still very cool to have 300-voice granular synthesis with 300 different reading position on a sample which can all be controlled seperately.

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »
I only do live stuff these days so am concentrating on small things that make cool sounds stuck through a looper and lots of delay and reverb

my favourite toys at the moment are a vss30 sampler, kaossillator, boardweevil, ipod touch and my dd-20 delay looper and wedge reverb

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2009, 07:23:40 AM »
@false mirror - that sounds cool.

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Austere

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2009, 01:22:03 AM »
Recently I've done a bit of work in Logic Studio and while it has some very cool capabilities, I always feel overwhelmed by the insane complexity of it.

One of us (The Mystifying Oracle) is a Logic whore. But took almost 4 years before finally producing a decent track with it. And after 7-8 years, is still learning new stuff about it. Piloting a 747, which we've done in simulators, is much easier. Press "autopilot".

And we're talking the Windows 5.5.1 (final) version.

I know a lot of people are evolving to entirely virtual setups and I find that rather depressing, interacting with nothing but a mouse and keyboard and computer screen, which "contains" your instruments and fx plugins and sequencing and multitrack audio recording.  [...] (and I disagree that you can hear the difference between a virtual studio creation and a "real" studio creation with keyboards and hardware fx and so on) but there's just something so bleak and dead-end about it.  

We agree with the first statement, not with the last. We play a lot of stuff "live" because (1) the tactile approach, as mentioned in follow-ups, is important; (2) everything sequenced on a computer sounds overly "perfect" and we like that we screw up while recording, and our timing is hardly to the one millisecond - you can add "swing algorithms" all you want, but it's just not the same; (3) we put in a good year at least mapping all the knobs on our K5000S to most of the rest of our synths. Being able to turn dials and get interesting results (good and bad) is what really brought us back to making musick.

Other experiences: yeah, Sonar sucks. GarageBand is decent until you want to get tricky - try gating a filter across a female vocal sample, for example (Logic!)  We like Pete Kelly's take - mix it up on each album. Do an "all-PC" one, do half-n-half, do a "live" one. Variety is the spice of life (that, and beer.)

Oh, and most importantly - Cool Edit Pro became Adobe Audition, and after v1.1 (free upgrade!) they rolled all that into another Adobe product, the movie editing one. So we still use Audition/Cool Edit Pro on a daily basis. We would never do a final mixdown with any other program! :)

Just our worthless two cents, in 1970 dollars, adjusted for the current weak dollar... would you believe that trying to get Dakini stuff this year vs. last means $1 extra for the same product? We loves Thee Great Recession...  ???

Sorry, sick when we wrote this (worse than drunk!)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:55:11 AM by Austere »

Austere

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2009, 01:40:16 AM »
I'm curious whether anyone is using "abandonware" software, that is, a software application that is no longer sold or updated.

We use Logic 5.5.1 on Windows (long abandoned since Apple buyout/kill), Cool Edit Pro and Adobe Audition (both long dead), Hyperprism VST effects, and we still own an honest-to-god original Amiga 1000 that's signed by all the engineers on the inside top of the main case.

A Scandanavian (sp?) band - Texas Faggot - who makes the weirdest musick ever - still do half their stuff with an Amiga and trackers.

And we would never give up our '80's Roland effect hardware, either.

Not everything new is better, and not everything obsolete is useless.

So very well put!

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2009, 07:31:02 PM »
I'm curious whether anyone is using "abandonware" software, that is, a software application that is no longer sold or updated.

We use Logic 5.5.1 on Windows (long abandoned since Apple buyout/kill), Cool Edit Pro and Adobe Audition (both long dead), Hyperprism VST effects, and we still own an honest-to-god original Amiga 1000 that's signed by all the engineers on the inside top of the main case.

A Scandanavian (sp?) band - Texas Faggot - who makes the weirdest musick ever - still do half their stuff with an Amiga and trackers.

And we would never give up our '80's Roland effect hardware, either.

Not everything new is better, and not everything obsolete is useless.

So very well put!

Amiga! I still have my old Amiga 500 + monitor + expansion/SCSI interface in my attic. I took it out some time ago to fire it up and still works fine. I have the 68030 CPU, memory expansion, etc....I should see if I can get anything for them since I have no plans on using it anymore. Beats tossing to the trash/etc...

Anyone interested should let me know as I can see what I may still have for software kicking around (old C programming stuff, games, etc....). If so, pm me if interested and we go from there. I loved that old system (had a 2000 which I ran my old BBS on waaaaaaaay back lol).

Mike

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2009, 10:13:49 PM »
<Amiga! I still have my old Amiga 500 + monitor + expansion/SCSI interface in my attic. I took it out some time ago to fire it up and still works fine. >                                                                                                                    That's funny. I still have my Mac+ from around 1984 or so. It still works!       Harry                                     
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Austere

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2009, 02:02:34 AM »

Amiga! I still have my old Amiga 500 + monitor + expansion/SCSI interface in my attic. I took it out some time ago to fire it up and still works fine. I have the 68030 CPU, memory expansion, etc....I should see if I can get anything for them since I have no plans on using it anymore. Beats tossing to the trash/etc...

Thank goodness for good old-fashion American engineering (creating, not copying, CD excepted) - our Amiga 1000 run like a charm still. Oldest computer we have since we stupidly got rid of our Commode (sic) 64. So let's see - 25 years old. We do have two Dells that are like 10-12 years old, but they're reduced to running HW that Win7 couldn't be bothered to support.

Yeah, Intel and M$ need an FTC inquiry into both - Win7 forces you to dual-core and 4GB of memory, and upgrades of 90% of your HW & SW! Screw that. Our color printer and scanner are fine. Thank goodness we have an old Dell thin-line from 1998 that's got Win XP on it and can run both - and we can use them from Win7.

This American thing for "stuff that breaks in 5 years so you get to buy new stuff!" economy - well, you can see what you get.

Anyway, we're got tons of Amiga software, we'd be into trading, but be warned it's 60% games (some fantastic still) and where the heck to get 3.5" floppies any more? We cleaned out this summer to gift a non-profit homeless shelter that still uses 3.5" floppies in PCs for their clients to save resumes, bus schedules, etc.

PM us!  OK, to bed. Hoopy Holidaze y'all.

Oh, and major props to the ole Macs - 1984 was out first intro to them, and we had a big lab in high school (being in IBM country back when they made 'em) but a small lab w/8 Macs, and man - you could draw stuff! All the real geeks and/or smart people (and us, since an exception to the rules is necessary) just totally abandoned the old PCs for the Macs. And the old ones, like Amiga's - they just never die! Maybe there is a god after all... and he's a Mac user?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:05:13 AM by Austere »