Author Topic: Seren Ffordd Thread  (Read 35299 times)

Seren

• View Profile
Seren Ffordd Thread
« on: January 21, 2008, 12:58:15 PM »
Getting Veils, Shadows released on the HSS imprint was a high point for me in 2007. It took a little while to get it together and Mike and Lena were very supportive all the way along. There was a flurry of activity in 2007 with 'Sounds of a Universe', 'Vapours and Magnetism', as well as a couple of tracks submitted for other compilations in other places. There has been some other music created that might see the light of day some time when I get a website sorted - and another full length release on Oophoi's Umbra label.

So all is quiet at the moment, new equipment to get into and explore and a couple of projects bubbling away under the surface waiting for the time to ripen and appear.

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Seren Ffordd Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 01:02:56 PM »
New release on Umbra: The Quiet Labyrinth

Front cover.

Back cover.

Avaiable from www.deeplistenings.it

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »
Hi,
I wanted to let people know who were not aware: Seren Ffordd is not the artist's real name, he's not a Scandinavian dude (a friend of mine calls him Seren Fjord, like those iceberg things!) He is from Wales and Seren Ffordd means "Star Road" in Welsh.  IMHO, this artist is on the cusp of true ambient greatness, his music being infused with an organic, otherworldly sound quality rarely heard these days. Indeed, I place him on the same pedestal as the great Oophoi.  I truly hope he will be recognized sometime soon with an official Hypnos release so as to get his music to a wider audience via radio programs like Stars End, HOS, etc.  I don't think they give CDR releases a chance, which is too bad considering there is so much great stuff on CDR like Seren Ffordd.  The new Umbra release cover is beautiful. Can't wait to hear it!!!

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:54:25 AM »
Hello drone on.  Thanks for your note here about Seren Ffordd.

I agree that this artist's music is very much worth watching, and you should see him appear on the Hypnos label again in the future, not just Veils, Shadows but also the recent compilation Sounds of a Universe Overheard, and also he will be contributing a "soundtrack" piece to the upcoming video DVD Vapors and Magnetism.

Beyond that, we have been in discussions even this week about a new Hypnos Secret Sounds release later this year, and beyond that, I would be receptive to further releases but we'll have to discuss it.  The one release that's currently under discussion actually has to be a CDR release due to the rather unusual nature of the concept, but I won't be the one to spill the beans about that here.

And we just received copies of The Quiet Labyrinth from Umbra to sell on the Hypnos store, as well.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 12:01:38 PM »
I truly hope he will be recognized sometime soon with an official Hypnos release so as to get his music to a wider audience via radio programs like Stars End, HOS, etc.  I don't think they give CDR releases a chance, which is too bad considering there is so much great stuff on CDR like Seren Ffordd. 

Nah... I only have music on CDRs, & my songs have been played here & there...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 12:03:16 PM by lena »
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 12:24:25 AM »
The Quiet Labyrinth is a very spooky trip indeed.  It's not what I expected after the "outer space" journeys of previous Umbra releases "Stellar Nurseries" and "Realms Beyond the Stars and Light."  This one is some kind of inner space/terrestrial-based deep zoneworlds not for the faint of heart.  Another winner for Umbra and S. Ffordd...

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 12:38:43 PM »
Recently had a couple of enquiries as to any music on the horizon and realised it's been a year since The Quiet Labyrinth was being completed and almost a year since it's release.

I had a very difficult time at work from Christmas last year, doing lots of unpaid overtime and not sleeping much due to stress - which rather affected the creative process. I just kept checking in with my imagination to make sure it as keeping tab of the ideas and dreaming. Managed to get a new job, but the steep learning curve meant a little longer waiting for enough head and heart space to get going again in the way I wanted.

In the meantime had a couple of tracks released on the Ambientlive label compilations:

Awakenings 2008 volume 1.5 http://www.ambientlive.com/albums/awakenings2008v1.5.htm

Awakenings 2008 volume 2.5 (no webpage yet)

also a track called Incubus on the forthcoming EMPortal compilation 2 cd set. http://www.emportal.info/viewtopic.php?t=2975&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I am working on the disc possibility mentioned by Mike for the Secret Sounds imprint - titled 'Fractured'. It is taking some time as I am doing a lot of intricate sound manipulation, including cuts down to 1/10 of a second in a short part of it......Most of the base tracks are laid (and last one ringing in my head) and looking forward to the sounds evolving over the top. Hopefully Mike will like the end result.

Also working on two collaberations which I am very excited by, no idea of release dates as yet.

So many thanks to everyone who has expressed support and kept in touch.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 06:59:36 AM »
since my last post one of the collaberations I coyly mentioned has become more formal when Oophoi mentioned it on his new MySpace page. http://www.myspace.com/gianluigioophoigasparetti

So I am excited to say the album is called 'Martian Chronicles' and is inspired by the book of the same title by Ray Bradbury. Currently we are swapping sounds/music and seeing how our explorations take us into the uncertain, twisting and parallel story lines of the book.
 8)

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 07:56:16 PM »
Wow, I am definitely looking forward to Martian Chronicles, perhaps a "sequel" to Celestial Geometries(?) Would this be an Umbra release or on another label? I'll have to check out Oophoi's myspace page...

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 01:24:23 PM »
When I clicked the myspace link, got a message saying account deleted or no longer a user??

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 02:35:58 PM »
When I clicked the myspace link, got a message saying account deleted or no longer a user??

Same here. It seems that Gianluigi's myspace page is no longer there.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 02:42:49 PM »
This link should work

http://www.myspace.com/oophoidrones

cheers
Pete

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »
This link should work

http://www.myspace.com/oophoidrones

cheers
Pete

Just seen the last few posts - and this link works for me and the original one does not - but it looks the same......

Campus Stellae

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 12:44:12 AM »
I confirm the new URL      http://www.myspace.com/oophoidrones,  we changed it yesterday for easier search, thanks for looking
Gigi

Zyp

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 09:35:14 AM »
My introduction to the music of Seren Fforrd was the track "Strange Atrractor" on the "Sounds of a Universe..." compilation.   Immediately impressed by his offering on that album, I made a mental note to check out more of Andy's work.

I recently purchased "Veils, Shadows" and can honestly say that this is one of my favourite ambient albums of 2008.  The intricately crafted soundscapes on "Veils..." show an artist who is creatively on the ascendancy.  The ominous opening track "Slow Burning" is disconcerting yet compelling and extremely beautiful.  The rest of the album doesn't let up either in terms of maintaining the high quality.

Recently I had the pleasure of meeting Andy at a UK electronic music festival and he comes across as an artist (and not to mention a thoroughly nice guy) who's extremely passionate yet very modest about what he does.  Personally, I can't wait to hear more from Seren Ffordd and am very much looking forward to any future releases that may be in the pipeline.   Hopefully in the future I too would love to see a Seren Ffordd release on the main Hypnos label.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 05:00:15 PM »
Zyp: I agree 100%, SF is something special. You should definitely check out the Hypnos store and go to the Umbra (labels) section, and pick up "Floating," "Realms Beyond the Stars and Light" (this is the translated Welsh title), "Quiet Labyrinth," and the Penumbra e.p's, all excellent and these may be the last copies around.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 11:48:39 AM »
I've been putting excerpt clips onto my Atmoworks page just click on http://atmoworks.ning.com/profile/Seren if you are interested

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 11:44:31 AM »
Seren, are you working on anything new these days?

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 01:03:08 PM »
Seren, are you working on anything new these days?

Yes, still managing to keep busy - 2 solo projects, 2 collaberations, working out how to do things live, looking how to get out more often to do feild recording and ...I'm sure there was something else...ah...Oh Yes - a life.....wedding anniversary on Monday and garden needs lots doing. Job takes up a lot of time and energy too of course.

The collaberation with Gigi is going well and we will let everyone know when it's ready. These things can take time and we have been planning it since 2006.....

I have found one of my own limitations, seen both at work and in music. I'm not very good at having lots of things on the go and doing little bits when I can. I have to focus on 2 things at most at a time or I just start making mistakes/bad music....

Thanks for the interest and I know it's been a while since The Quiet Labyrinth was released but new music will arrive, hopefully sooner than later.

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 09:20:34 PM »
I'm eagerly trying to complete my Seren Ffordd discography.  Is there any chance recordings like Vajra Storm, Calling, and MooN will ever be made available (whatever the format)?
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.