Author Topic: Seren Ffordd Thread  (Read 33656 times)

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Seren Ffordd Thread
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 01:37:51 AM »
I'd like to invite those of you that enjoy my music for some information/feedback.

I know that 'Floating' is used by a number of reflexology and similar therapists for the relaxed state and dreaminess it puts their clients into.

I know that 'Arhythmia' has had some unusual effects on some listeners (not good for listening before trying to sleep).

If you'd be willing to pm me  - or even go public here - I'm really interested in what you listen to and why? What happens when you do listen to certain tracks or albums? Where do you go? Do you dream? See anything? Feel anything?

I have no 'judgement' or 'expectation' about the responces being 'positive' - If a particular track gives you a headache or makes you feel 'uncomfortable' or 'creeped out' in some way that's part of what I'd like to know.

Thanks.....

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2010, 01:25:28 PM »
Anyone else willing to pm me and let me know the answers to my questions above.

I really am interested in what you experience and it will help me continue to refine and explore what I do.

Since listening to Irrlicht as a youngster and having my first non drug induced out of body experience it has been an important part of what I do.

all responses or questions very much appreciated.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2010, 04:19:32 PM »
Having listened to Arythmia at least ten times in the past week (getting it ready to release on Hypnos Secret Sounds this week), I'd say it would not seem like a great candidate for a sleep album.  It's hypnotic, and at times restful, yet often has an "edge" or a discordant quality.  It's more "active" than most other Seren Ffordd music, I think.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 12:21:49 AM »
Review of Lament of a Forgotten God by Steve Palmer:

Llunstorcarnay "Lament Of A Forgotten God"

Llunstorcarnay is a collaboration of two artists, Seren Ffordd and Gliese 614. The album "Lament Of A Forgotten God" was inspired by ancient works such as the Welsh poem the Song Of Taliesyn, but also (as noted in the atmospheric artwork) by the wild places of nature and by those ancient cultures whose stories were set in such environments.

The album is arranged into three tracks, one of ten minutes, one of twenty and one of thirty. Electronically distorted voices open the album, before ambient drones and washes emerge from the soundscape. As with the work of the individual artists - notably the recently reviewed "Serenty" by Gliese 614 and Seren Ffordd's "Calling" - this is ambient music with little hint of beats and none of melody. The change in tones and textures is small, slow, reflecting gradual change in the environments the artists seek to evoke. In this opening track the timbres hint at harsh places, with metallic tones overlaying bass drones and washes.

The second track opens with another distorted voice, before lighter, almost airy timbres emerge, hinting at lighter, brighter environments - perhaps atop cliffs or near water. Deeply reverberated sounds and tones suggest prehistoric gorges like those of the Dordogne in France. After a while the sounds increase in volume and complexity, some of them changing from bass to treble registers while maintaining the same timbre; the technique is used again at the end of the piece. This track is a good example of how apparently simple sounds, well chosen, can have a large cumulative effect.

The third track opens, as before, with distorted voices, before moving on into a more modern-sounding section that uses vocal-based pads and ringing, almost bell-like tones to present an aura of tranquility. Then the work mutates into less recognisable sounds and effects, before, after five minutes or so, a white noise rhythm overlaid with swirling synth tones begins. It's effective and atmospheric, but soon gone. As the track evolves new tones and timbres are brought in, reminding me of some of Klaus Schulze's work of the late 'seventies. The ending of the track is in the style of the opening; this track is for me the best of the three, not least because it has all the time it needs to evolve.

A very good album that listeners of ambient artists should check out.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2010, 12:23:49 AM »
Visiting Berlin is a new cdr release on Ambientlive records in the UK:

click on http://www.ambientlive.com and scroll down to find -

This is an album of rhythm and sequencer based music :o in the 'Berlin School' tradition.....It was recorded a couple of years back when I wanted to see if i could do this sort of sound.

I will post a couple more pictures soon.

My thanks to John at Ambientlive for liking it enough to release it

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 12:29:36 PM »
Back Cover:

Disc:

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2010, 11:37:44 AM »
Starting to put track extracts on soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/seren-ffordd/sets/seren-ffordd

plus started new profile page on relaxed machinery - as below

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2010, 02:17:33 PM »
This shorter link will work the same way, if you're posting it around:

http://hypnos.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=misc77

The extra code is extraneous.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
Nice review by Vital weekly of "Arhythmia" here:

http://bit.ly/fTjnMy

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2010, 03:37:47 PM »
Nice review of Arhythmia posted on the Modulator ESP forum by Ross Baker (also known as Second Thought):

I'm a sucker for atmosphere conjured up by samples, so the rainy sounds at the start of Seren Ffordd's Arhythmia put me in a positive mood to get into the album. Not that positive is the most obvious word to describe this music - this is sinister stuff. The rain continues through the first track (simply titled I), its pattering slowly forming a quiet loop that causes a rhythm so slight it is most comparable to catching something out of the corner of your eye. Similarly, as the ever-descending moaning drones that appear as the album morphs into part II continue to fall into a dark ambient abyss, a feeling of endless repetition occurs, and the unnerving rattling that slowly fades in around the halfway mark acts to punctuate this looping feeling. This music truly delivers rhythm and pace without ever approaching beats or drive.
Bell chimes introduce the third movement and very slowly we begin to ascent from the mire into an open, airy sound that reflects the acoustic nature of the album (as with the best abstract works, all recordings are acoustic sounds electronically treated). Bell sounds reverberate all around, constantly suggesting rhythm and form but without ever succumbing to loops or repetition.
A slow, broad wind draws upon us and introduces the penultimate section of the album, drawing us back towards the darker aspects of the record's first half. Quiet, echoed sounds appear in the background, suggesting some sound far off being carried towards us on the wind. Sinister whispers swirl around and approaching a rhythmic nature but always suggesting a more formless, amorphous sound. Suddenly, rain reappears, announcing the final quarter of an hour, this time accompanied by what sounds like a loop of car swiftly passing by on the rain-soaked road; a loop which begins as a pedestrian sounding sample but becomes sinister and even intimidating after continual repetition. Another tapestry of dark droning and rumbling occurs somewhere in the background, adding a further sense of unease to the increasingly disturbing car loop. This texture fades away incredibly slowly, easing you back into reality.
Arhythmia is a fascinating and incredibly mature work of sound design and audio manipulation which flirts with isolationist drone and dark ambient but never submits to its clichés, instead following a path of its own; a path which is not necessarily easy to travel, but is ultimately incredible satisfactory.

http://modulatoresp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=serenpublic&action=display&thread=1819

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2011, 02:08:33 PM »
Another review of Arhythmia, this time from Textura:
As a follow-up to its earlier release of Seren Ffordd's Stellar Nurseries, Hypnos continues to re-issue work by the Wales-based ambient sound sculptor with the release of the out-of-print 2005 recording Arhythmia. It makes good on its wish to explore rhythms and movements that are heard and felt—though not of the dance-based but of the more fundamental kind, like those of the planets and tides and of the body's inner workings, that are threaded throughout our lives in ways of which we're often unaware. Ffordd could exploit such movements to create a relaxed and hypnotic dream-like work but instead opts for a much more unsettling one that features turbulent episodes as a counterweight to the expected calming ones. The sound sources (all acoustic) used for the seventy-one-minute piece include field recordings (rain and thunder) and singing bowls, voice, gourds, and chimes (effects and sound manipulations executed using a Korg D16 digital portastudio).

After rain drizzle and thunder introduces the five-part work, the rain sounds persist throughout the first part while the thunder recedes and is replaced by intermittent rumbles. Though the collective sound is pitched at a low level of intensity, there's nevertheless a wealth of detail on display at any given moment. The second part follows without interruption, the change signified by the disappearance of the rain and the advent of a series of downward spiraling tones that gradually swell in number and volume. Adding to that density, rippling percussive accents, wind-like swirls, and ghostly moans appear in turn as the intensity steadily builds throughout the part's fifteen minutes. In a move that echoes the transition between the opening tracks, the change from two to three occurs when the former's ominous sound mass is supplanted by bell strikes (the singing bowls and chimes, presumably) whose prolonged reverberations fill the spaces between them. The fourth initially focuses exclusively on natural sounds—rumbles and whooshes—before faint, wavering musical figures appear in the distance. Though the sonic design differs from part to part, there's similarity in the way each builds gradually, growing ever denser and fuller as the part in question unfolds, and the recording comes full circle when the final chapter reintroduces the rain drizzle and rumbles of the opening part.

January 2011
http://www.textura.org/reviews/ffordd_arhythmia.htm

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2011, 02:57:39 PM »
Strands – Seren Ffordd.

4 new guitar based tracks for free download.

Strands 1 came out of exploring a set up for live performances to play in a local club. Recorded straight to stereo using sounds manipulated on a Roland VP9000, an electric guitar and some sounds Oophoi kindly allowed me to recycle from music we had created together on another project.

Strands 2, 3 and 4 are just electric guitar, manipulated through various effects.

The music ranges from noisy to deep drones and even some rhythm....

edit - new link - Music available on http://www.soundcloud.com/seren-ffordd

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2011, 04:15:05 PM »
Oops, just updated the souncloud link.... :)

SequenceC

• Gliese 614 & Llunstorcarnay
    • View Profile
    • Gliese 614 & Llunstorcarnay
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2011, 01:39:58 AM »
Strands 1-4 is fantastic, a great variety of dark ambience. Highly recommended.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2011, 04:23:55 AM »
New track 'I Nearly Saw Forever' on:

Awakenings 2011 Vol1.5 (2CDR) compilation on Ambientlive label
www.ambientlive.com

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2011, 11:09:51 AM »
Next reissue on Hypnos Secret Sounds, Floating:

http://www.hypnos.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HOS&Product_Code=hss32

Phil Derby's original review in Electroambient Space:
"Not to be confused with the classic Klaus Schulze track of the same name, this 70-minute track is pure ambient. Those who think synths sound cold and calculating would do well to listen to this to correct that misperception. The sounds here are filled with warmth, depth, and nuance. Things develop quite slowly and deliberately. Melody is hinted at, as one might be able to say a note hanging in the air is a C or an F-sharp or whatever, but that’s as far as musical structure goes here. Completely devoid of rhythm, this truly is all about the floating. Though timbres are by and large bright and shimmering, the mood is somewhat subdued if not outright somber. Like Aurora, this disc has no liner notes whatsoever, so it is completely up to you to decide where your imagination will take you as you listen. I like that. This is a beautiful piece of music that will surely reward repeat listening to capture all the details."

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »
review of Veils, Shadows by Ross Baker
http://electronicmusicreviews.wordpress.com

Seren Ffordd – Veils, Shadows (Hypnos Secret Sounds)

Anybody familiar with the work of Welsh sound artist and ambient fellow Seren Ffordd will find no surprise that Veils, Shadows begins with a slow moving, sinister drone. Like all of the sounds on this album, the opening track, fittingly titled Slow Passing, is sourced entirely from acoustic sounds and other instruments: horns, guitar, percussion, vocals, glass and so on. Seren Ffordd has a way of treating and manipulating these sounds that keeps the listener’s interest throughout his longform pieces, never subtmitting to dark ambient clichés. Slow Passing is reminiscent of Christoph Heeman, particularly his works with Current 93 (the book soundtrack In a Foreign Town, in a Foreign Land immediately springs to mind).
Elsewhere, the album works at a different pace. Far from taking the drone template and applying it to the whole record, Seren Ffordd introduces an array of rattling, shivering textures at the beginning of River of Souls, before warping them almost beyond recognition in its second half, joined by distant harmonies which add an increasing sense of unease; Distant Paths is based around spar.se percussive loops which give a feeling of a procession passing by somewhere just out of sight, tribal and almost ritualistic in its primitive sound.
Things return to a more drone based sound for the title track, although a cacophany of disembodied voices drives this final track rather than the softer tones of the album’s opener.
Despite its relative variety, Veils, Shadows is a work of a singular vision, and is not for the faint of heart. This is lonely listening for secluded locations, and all the better for it. Drawing to mind hints of imagery lost behind fog and beneath shadows, its abstract sounds make this ambient album essential listening.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »

http://soundcloud.com/seren-ffordd/a-melancholy-light

Hypnos have been reissuing many of my releases on the Umbra/Penumbra label - but not everything fits in with the series of albums so I have put A Melancholy Light (320KbsMP3) for download on Soundcloud - link above.

Thanks for listening.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2011, 09:34:07 AM »

New download release - Haze, now out on the Jerky Oats Label:
http://www.secondthought.co.uk/jerkyoats/joat036.htm

3 tracks of unreleased music and a longer version of another track from the Umbra compilation 'Foglands'.