Author Topic: Seren Ffordd Thread  (Read 33456 times)

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Seren Ffordd Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2011, 02:49:46 PM »
http://youtu.be/u8ZXOLiCCl8

recently got some video software - so this is my first attempt called ICE....all pictures are my own.....

any feedback appreciated.

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2011, 03:07:27 PM »
Thats a really good first video Andy, some beautiful pictures and nicely timed crossfades. I think the video and music match perfectly. Excellent :)
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

Antdude

• Punch and Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2011, 07:20:11 PM »
Very nice. I like this a lot. More please.
I was just in my office and I heard a ruckus.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2011, 11:55:31 PM »
Glad you like it.

It's taking a bit of time to work out what I can do without struggling and what might take a bit of effort or time to learn and understand.

The original on a flatscreen looks stunning..... ???if I say so myself ???....

gives me more things to think about - which is good

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2011, 11:36:57 AM »
Awesome vid. Loving the Haze release as well. Lots of tasty darkness there.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2011, 03:03:53 AM »
ICE

trying this out...

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2011, 01:07:11 PM »
Hi everyone,

life's been a bit hectic recently - but thought I'd give you all a little christmas present:

Silver Wheel - long form, very static soundworld - was the first piece of music I sent Oophoi for what became The Martian Chronicles album.

Downloadable .wav file 76 minutes.

http://www.soundcloud.com/seren-ffordd

Merry Christmas

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2012, 11:24:07 AM »
MooN - short video using Silver Wheel

MooN

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2012, 12:30:51 AM »
Just discovered a review of The Martian Chronicles on Hypnagogue:

Drone masters Seren Fford and Oöphoi interface with the spirit of Ray Bradbury on the long-form ambient work The Martian Chronicles. This is an impressionistic work, the sounds and drones carving images of the Martian landscape in your mind. And that landscape evolves across time. At the outset, the scene is sparse, windswept red dust issuing over cold ground. A sense of loneliness gnaws through the sound. Late in the first track, “The Long Years,” the feeling is so stripped down it becomes almost unnerving. The duo carry the unease straight into “Dead Cities,” where low funereal drones moan under a quiet, freezing hush. As the piece goes along it slowly grows in vibrancy and light, moving us into a more inviting landscape. It’s the first sense of forward motion, of narrative discovery. We understand that we’re on the cusp of something, and it arrives in “Blue Fire” with some unexpected percussion. We’re taken through a brief passage with tribal overtones, like a look into some lost civilization’s past or the finding of some indigenous culture’s outpost. It’s a great touch, even as slight as it is, after such a long ambient stretch. This is where the tone of the disc begins to shift toward the optimistic and organic. Water is discovered in “Canals,” the sound quietly burbling over warm ambient cloud formations. Again, the tone here is warmer and more welcoming than in earlier tracks. We’ve arrived somehow at a different, hospitable Mars. More signs of life come with “Flamebirds Waiting for the Storm.” The chittering of a thousand electronic Martian avians bounce and dance over a virtually unchanging drone. Thunder begins to roll in the background. The simplicity of the undercurrent tone is amazingly effective, a straight-line constant against the chaos laid over it. The disc closes with the prayer-like chant of “Unremembered,” a quite straightforward ambient piece, meditative and reverent.

Throughout The Martian Chronicles, the layering of sounds is incredible. Even in the most still-wind moments there’s motion and depth and interplay. This is the kind of disc where you pop on the headphones, lay in the dark, and let your mind start building scenery. The sensations that Seren Fford and Oöphoi are able to convey through their sounds are quite visceral and moving. In addition, the movement of the disc, start to finish, is one of the best examples of creating a sonic narrative that I’ve heard in a while. There is an arc here, and it’s fully developed and completely realized. This is a truly masterful piece of work.

Thanks for the kind words John.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
and a general update - this has been a year when life sort of takes over, music fitting in between everything.......

I've been healthy but a number of family and close friends have not, a new grandson and a car that has beenin the garage almost more than it has been out.....

I nearly did a live gig - but in the end was expected to do a 6 hour piece with a weeks notice. Decided it was too tight a call and then the festival was rained off.

Have been working on an album since 2008 called Fractured, finally completed - I intend to release a Ltd edition 3 disc set (CDR) just trying to sort out artwork and stuff. 2 of the discs may be available individually via label releases will let you know if these occur.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »
http://www.soundcloud.com/seren-ffordd

It's my birthday today - and here is a present.

Gottwood - 1 Hr 47Mins long - Wav file.

I used the sounds gathered for the festival appearance I mentioned before - because i did not get there I've put this together.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »

Have been working on an album since 2008 called Fractured, finally completed - I intend to release a Ltd edition 3 disc set (CDR) just trying to sort out artwork and stuff. 2 of the discs may be available individually via label releases will let you know if these occur.

If you release them in jewel cases, you can personally crack each one instead of leaving it to the post office.  ;)

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »
Happy birthday, Andy!  8)

Loving Gottwood so far (only about 20 min in as of this typing); cheers for that.

Can't wait for Fractured.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »
Listened through to the end of Gottwood. Dark beauty, perfect for this time of year, with lots of thunder!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:23:48 PM by Scott M2 »

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2012, 08:42:23 PM »
 8)
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2012, 12:13:24 PM »
Happy belated birthday, Andy.  Had your Gottwood oiece on low volume at work this morning.  Sounds very swampy and tropical.  8)

Forrest

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »

If you release them in jewel cases, you can personally crack each one instead of leaving it to the post office.  ;)

;D 8) ;D

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2012, 02:30:52 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback on Gottwood guys. No synths, choirs, birds or other animals were harmed or hired in the making of the music.....

How did you find listening to an almost 2 hour piece?

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2012, 03:35:59 PM »
How did you find listening to an almost 2 hour piece?

It was a piece of cake.  As a environment, it could have gone on for even longer.

Forrest

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2012, 10:10:04 AM »
Another nice review of The Martian Chronicles:

http://pingthings.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/the-martian-chronicles-by-seren-ffordd.html#!/2012/10/the-martian-chronicles-by-seren-ffordd.html

The passing of Ray Bradbury earlier this year hit me really hard. I was a big fan of his work growing up, and the thought that his voice had been silenced really struck me as a tragedy. Certainly he'd left an incredible body of work behind, novels and short stories that will assuredly go down as some of the best literature of our time, but the idea that we would never read another new short story, or hear his thoughts on life in the future again? That his voice had been silenced seemed almost too cruel to imagine. But as horrible as it might be to imagine a world without one of our greatest writers, I am reminded of all of the people that Bradbury influenced through his work, and of all of the people who's own work has been inspired and informed by him. And while we may never read a new book by Bradbury again, we will surely continue to hear his influence for many years to come.

Recently I've been listening to an album by two artists who are no doubt very influenced by Bradbury's work and have joined forces on an impressive new release from the Hypnos label. "The Martian Chronicles" by Seren Ffordd and Oöphoi is a welcome supplement to the seminal collection of the same name, and the duo have done an admirable job of capturing the tone and feel of Bradbury's book. "The Martian Chronicles" is an excellent musical companion to the languid beauty of Bradbury's writing, and a welcome opportunity to rediscover one of Bradbury's most beloved works in a brand new light.

"The Long Years" is a piece that's divided into three distinct movements (much like the book), which bring to mind the possibility of space, the fear of the new, and the realization of self.  I'm sure I'm projecting my own thoughts about the book onto the music, but there's a very clear narrative thread here that works really nicely in my mind. Admittedly it's a subtle thing, something I have to imagine and balance in my head, but overall it works very nicely for me, and I appreciate the musical and literary symmetry that comes about as a result of that balancing.

Track two, "Dead Cities", is an excellent example of how titles influence the way I listen to music. I can't help but imagine the empty homes of Martians who have passed away due to human carelessness, a feeling of overwhelming sadness at the loss of a rich culture that we will never have the chance to connect with again.  Throughout the track there are a number of underlying themes and passages, all of which suggest a music beyond our understanding and experience, something below the surface that escapes us, and I feel a sense of regret for not having the chance or capacity to hear these themes in their full context. An emotional and evocative piece to say the least.

"Blue Fire" is a subtle piece, the sound of slowly burning embers that give off the barest of heat, but contain the memory of a raging fire that had existed before. Within the context of the book, the Blue Fire represents a Martian ascension beyond the material world, and that sense of evolution and development is implied in the track through slowly drifting pads and rising tones that take shape as time passes.  An impressive piece of music that quite appeals to this listener.

"End of a Changeling" is a shorter track clocking in at under three minutes, but in that short time it captures all of the imagery and visuals to match the catclysmic nuclear war on the Earth that ushers in the third section of the book. An evocative piece of music.

While the title would suggest the geography of Mars that Bradbury describes, the sounds of rain that usher in "Canals" reminds me more of the robot house that attends to it's family long after they've died in the war.  There's a sense of haunting beauty and forlorn wonder here, a feeling of sadness and loss that really resonates. Another great track that particularly stands out for me.

"Flamebirds Waiting for the Storm" has an eerie metallic feel to it, paired with the sound of a flock of birds. It's an odd pairing, but a surprisingly successful one that works really well within the context of the alien world that's being presented.  A very nice example of a fully realized aural landscape.

"Unremembered" ends the disc, an appropriate finish that echoes the sound of empty homes, empty spaces, and empty dreams.  There's a sense of finality and closure that's quite striking here, something that translates really well sonically and complements Bradbury's words. If you were to ask me what a deserted Martian town sounded like, this would definitely be the sound I would imagine.

Clearly Seren Ffordd and Oöphoi have a strong appreciation and admiration for Bradbury's work, and that appreciation is readily apparent in their ability to create such an excellent musical accompaniment.  As I listened to the tracks on the album I was transported to Mars in much the same wondrous way that I was when I first read "The Martian Chronicles" all those years ago, and the ability to revisit that same sense of awe and discovery is a true testament to the skill and talent of these two artists.  A great album that gets an enthusiastic round of praise from me!

"The Martian Chronicles" by Seren Ffordd and Oöphoi is available from the Hypnos Website.

rik - ping things