Author Topic: Seren Ffordd Thread  (Read 35929 times)

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Seren Ffordd Thread
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2014, 12:41:09 AM »
BBC radio 4 on saturday 21st June at 14.30 is broadcasting a recording of Ray bradbury's book 'The Martian Chronicles'....

If you've not read it you can hear a version of it here.

They did 'The Illustrated Man' last week which was quite good.

I suspect they haven't used any music from the album.....

Analoguekid

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »
BBC radio 4 on saturday 21st June at 14.30 is broadcasting a recording of Ray bradbury's book 'The Martian Chronicles'....

If you've not read it you can hear a version of it here.

They did 'The Illustrated Man' last week which was quite good.

I suspect they haven't used any music from the album.....

Did they use any of your music Andy?

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2014, 02:41:00 AM »
Have not listened to it yet - but they did not ask for any of our music - so i suspect the amatuers at the BBC radiophonic workshop did it all :o ;) 8)

Analoguekid

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »
Have not listened to it yet - but they did not ask for any of our music - so i suspect the amatuers at the BBC radiophonic workshop did it all :o ;) 8)

;) ;) 8)

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2014, 12:36:35 AM »
Slowly putting up the Umbra/HSS releases on Bandcamp - currently Stellar Nurseries, Arhythmia and Floating.

Analoguekid

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2014, 01:05:53 PM »
Slowly putting up the Umbra/HSS releases on Bandcamp - currently Stellar Nurseries, Arhythmia and Floating.

:-) :-)

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2014, 06:54:52 AM »
New release coming out on relaxed Machinery:

http://relaxedmachinery.ning.com/profiles/blogs/rm-seren-ffordd-fractured-iii-shards-coming-aug-22

Will be available as a download from Bandcamp.

Shards is the 3rd album in the Fractured trilogy.

Analoguekid

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2014, 07:19:06 AM »
New release coming out on relaxed Machinery:

http://relaxedmachinery.ning.com/profiles/blogs/rm-seren-ffordd-fractured-iii-shards-coming-aug-22

Will be available as a download from Bandcamp.

Shards is the 3rd album in the Fractured trilogy.

All the very best with this one Andy and its a great cover :-)

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2014, 07:32:36 AM »
Thanks Martyn, it took a little work in photoshop to get it like that.

The photo was a sunrise from the base of an iron age fort in south wales - Llancayo.

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2014, 11:40:43 AM »
Good luck with this Andy, and yes artwork is very nice.
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2014, 02:25:05 PM »
mmhh........... Iron Age Fort as inspiration perhaps? I am right into all that ancient ( Pictish ;) ) history btw.

Will look out on bandcamp on the 22ndish August.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2014, 05:37:09 AM »
I'd been to the fort on a number of times previously so the fort itself was not the inspiration -but I was looking for a particular quality of light for the artwork (before I started messing with it).

You may find 'The Keys to Avalon' a very interesting book if you are interested in that aspect of history and getting a more accurate picture of what did and did not happen.....if you read it Id be interested in your thoughts....

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2014, 07:42:48 AM »
That sounds an interesting read right enough.

I have recently bought 3 books ; The Picts A History, Before Scotland, Archaeology and Early History of Angus. Currently researching this era of the start of civilisation  ;) Loads of ancient Pictish stones, forts etc round about my area.

Have some musical ideas kicking about on this theme also if I ever get my finger out and get back into recording again.

Looking forward to hearing your new release.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2014, 10:12:26 AM »
That sounds an interesting read right enough.

I have recently bought 3 books ; The Picts A History, Before Scotland, Archaeology and Early History of Angus. Currently researching this era of the start of civilisation  ;) Loads of ancient Pictish stones, forts etc round about my area.

Have some musical ideas kicking about on this theme also if I ever get my finger out and get back into recording again.

Looking forward to hearing your new release.

You might enjoy listening to 'Lament of a Forgotten God' on my bandcamp page too - I think there are images of the cover somewhere back in this thread...
added - page 2

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2014, 05:54:39 AM »
I'm very glad to help put this album out there... it's drone... sometimes darker.  I like it.  :-)
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2014, 04:53:30 PM »
Listening to Shards right now. I like the dark droning in this one. I'm hearing shades of Wendy Carlos' "Sonic Seasonings" here. Very nice.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2014, 12:03:42 AM »

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2014, 04:01:29 AM »
On rM I was asked if I could say more about the Fractured trilogy and why the use of acoustic sound sources:

The Fractured trilogy developed over a number of years from the initial inspiration – the moment of ‘fracture’ when a musician pours the first sound into the waiting space, breaking the silence.

Initially I hoped it would be a single release. I was going to record an album where I fractured sound in a variety of ways, but with an extra twist….I wanted to keep the foundation of each track in the same order, but shift the later additions around creating 4 versions of the album – so if people were commenting about the music even the feedback would be fractured as people tried to understand why they were hearing the same things but in different places…..

Unfortunately it sounded like crap – the tracks had their own integrity and cohesion, despite the concept and sound processing, they could not be broken in that way.

Over time I found a variety of ways of ‘playing’ with the music – out of which Fractured II arose, as I continued to record and explored other sounds ‘Shards’ started to materialise.

Fractured I is on the way to release – and I like the way it is coming after the third part, continuing the concept in yet another way.

Fractured II (7 Broken Mirrors) will appear last, self released on Bandcamp. It will include a bunch of artwork images that I originally designed for a very limited 3 disc set.

As for the acoustic aspect – a bit of background – I love being in wild places where there are little or no sound of human activity. I had the pleasure of living and working in a large ancient forest in North Wales for about 5 years. Many people could not understand why I did not take a walkman….But I loved the ‘silence’ and by merging into it I met some very interesting beings in the woods, like a snake that always shed it’s skin in the same place, like birds of prey that came really close because I was not noisy or ‘separate’.

I find acoustic sounds more subtle, complex etc than a guitar or even a synth. The susurrations of tree leaves in the wind, the complex interplay of quiet sounds in a gentle stream. Listening to these I find myself drifting through the sounds, drawn to this, then called by that. Given my history of laying in Motorhead bass bins as a youngster……

I used field recorder to capture sounds from all sorts of places – such as wine glass for Shards, bird wing for Fractured etc. Then I started playing with them in a number of ways including separating out frequencies in a single sound and then shifting them in time so they shifted through each other. I might pass a sound through a number of effects, then back again, then pull out certain frequencies or textures – finding aspects of the sound not usually heard. Often I layered different treatments of the same sound together, creating new and shifting textures.

Analoguekid

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2014, 12:12:41 PM »
That's a great write up Andy :-)

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2014, 09:22:29 PM »
Really enjoying this.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.