Author Topic: Morning Ramblings....  (Read 1937 times)

saulstokes

• View Profile
Morning Ramblings....
« on: December 06, 2009, 10:46:44 AM »
A few weeks ago, I downloaded Max for Live that included a new step sequencer. I thought that instead of going through the slow task of tuning my analog sequencers I could now do it inside the program shooting all midi out to my miditocv converter and then on to my modular. This would allow me to save the sequence at least in some form to use later if I needed. Then, I got the bright idea that with my newly built computer, I could give up on hardware effects, run the analog outs of the modular back into live through effects all in real time. So, midi out to analogs and back in for processing. It actually works fine. However, It took me a week to wonder why I was having a hard as hell time trying to come up with anything interesting. Everything sounded flat and stiff. No character. I realized this morning that something is really lost along the way. I think it's the lameness of midi combined with the laziness of auto sync'd effects. It created a linear rhythmic quality to the sequences that made everything flat. I especially noticed the lack of character a step sequencer has when it's steps are tied to common scale notes. With an analog sequencer, you're never quite in tune no matter how hard you try and that's something you just can't achieve with 127 midi steps. It's impossible. As for the effects issue. The real issue is auto sync'ing everything combined with the small lag time of processing the audio coming it.  I could go on but I have a sequencer running with the same pattern and I'm going to go crazy soon.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Morning Ramblings....
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 11:05:47 AM »
I share your feelings about listening to mindlessly predictable synced sequences and effects. The digital realm lets people 'create' them so easily (choose a preset, press a button), but the lack of artistry is so often evidenced in the lack of character of the product. Things have to be a bit more difficult to be really good  :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 11:07:52 AM by APK »
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Exuviae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 04:58:21 PM »
I've been slowing building my analog modular over the last year or so and for a long time, I tried hard to keep it in step with the computer side of things and do kind of a half and half deal...BUT...after crossing a certain line on my knowledge and experience with the modular, I have pretty much stopped using the computer for aynthing except recording.

Gradually the midi gear and pedals went away and now the plug-in effects are also being tossed in favor of cv analog delays and such.

There is something so rewarding, for me, about the kinds of sound I can achieve this way and as much as I think the computer world of music making is cool and has a lots of really great stuff to offer, it just isn't where my heart is anymore.

The simple "imperfections" in analog gear are truly beautiful and inspiring. Except when shit doesn't work, which sucks and makes me angry! ;-)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 05:00:33 PM »
" The simple "imperfections" in analog gear are truly beautiful and inspiring. Except when shit doesn't work, which sucks and makes me angry! ;-) "

:D
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Exuviae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 05:09:55 PM »
" The simple "imperfections" in analog gear are truly beautiful and inspiring. Except when shit doesn't work, which sucks and makes me angry! ;-) "

:D

heh...yeah. I've done a bunch of DIY for my modular and largely have had good luck learning to build my own, but then there are times (like now!) where something isn't working right and I stink like kitty poop when it comes to troubleshooting. So...no more DIY for me...only buying.

But, yes, I am again in love with sound design - just in a different capacity than ever before.