Author Topic: January 2008 issue of Electroambient Space  (Read 2677 times)

electroambientspace

• View Profile
    • Electroambient Space
January 2008 issue of Electroambient Space
« on: January 20, 2008, 08:55:15 PM »
Hi all.  The Jan 2008 edition of Electroambient Space is now available for your reading pleasure.  This month there are 20 new CD reviews, an interview with Telomere, and a look back at the best EM releases of 2007.  Thanks.

Phil Derby
Editor and Publisher
www.electroambientspace.com
Phil Derby
Editor and Publisher
www.electroambientspace.com

MPECK

• View Profile
    • MPECK MUSIC
Re: January 2008 issue of Electroambient Space
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 11:14:50 AM »
Thanks Phil for the review of GLACIAL. And thanks to Mark for forwarding me the email notification (wink wink). Here's the review:
M. Peck “Glacial”
(www.gearsofsand.net. 2007)
8 tracks, 48.14 mins

"As one might expect Glacial is a selection of cold, stark ambient tracks, courtesy of one Michael Peck, who appeared on the collaboration Imprint with Mark Mahoney (see Nov 2007 review). These are of a quite spartan and experimental nature, some tracks such as “A Past Reflected” little more than a few abstract sounds pieced together in quiet unassuming fashion. As avant garde ambient goes, it does hold attention and avoids getting too serious or discordant. That is to say, it is listenable, eminently so actually. It covers the gamut from the light blips and bleeps of “Cold Flow” to the dark ambient of “Crawl”; from more structured pieces like “A Cognitive Chaos” to the white noise and drones of “Starving the Silence.” “The Impending Solitude” is smooth like glass but still with a certain quirkiness that carries through most selections. Cool sequencing opens “Debris from a Thousand Landscapes,” easily the most accessible track and my personal favorite. Infectious light rhythms join in midway through. In stark contrast the disc closes with a darker piece, “Ghost Psalm.” Light or dark, it all is well done, a strong effort well worth a listen."

"From Stars To Slumber" will be the follow-up to this release and will be available soon.
And if there are any IDM (i hate that term) Glitch fans here my project "echotomb" will also have two new releases available for free download in the next few weeks. Enough about me... head over to EAS to read the latest installment. Thanks again Phil.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »
Hi Phil,

Great issue this month!  I really enjoyed the interview.  Your picks for 2007 included many of my top discs.  I think we are on the same space wavelength, brother!  Keep up the great work...

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:03:17 PM »
Phil, thanks for all your work on the webzine.  It's much appreciated always!

And thanks specifically for the review of Lena's CD-single, too.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Somnia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:37:15 PM »
Cheers.  Thanks for the nice review!

New disc headed your way soon.
Evan Bartholomew
(bluetech, evan marc)
Native State Records / Somnia