Author Topic: Rune Grammofon label  (Read 3898 times)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Rune Grammofon label
« on: January 22, 2008, 10:25:45 AM »
Rune Grammofon was brought up in the ECM topic (as another example of a great label with a strong identifying aesthetic) and it's a label I've always meant to investigate further, but I could use some recommendations.

I did find this really cool slideshow of Rune Grammofon cover artwork by Kim Hiorth°y.

Slideshow:  http://swen.antville.org/stories/1703375/

Guidance, favorites and other thoughts appreciated.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Somnia

• View Profile
Re: Rune Grammofon label
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:39:37 AM »
Anything by Arve Henriksen
Opsvik & Jennings
Susanna & Magical Orchestra
Supersilent
Alog

Best to just dive in and start checking stuff out, as there is a lot of catalog with a wide range of expression, some of it incredibly dense and abstract, and others (susanna) much more accessible.
Evan Bartholomew
(bluetech, evan marc)
Native State Records / Somnia

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:01:05 AM »
Anything by Arve Henriksen
Susanna & Magical Orchestra
Supersilent

I'll second those choices and add: Food! (Arve appears on their first CD)

darren bergstein

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 12:57:57 PM »
Rune Grammofon was brought up in the ECM topic (as another example of a great label with a strong identifying aesthetic) and it's a label I've always meant to investigate further, but I could use some recommendations. Guidance, favorites and other thoughts appreciated.

yes, r.g. is eclectic in the extreme: everything from indigenous folk music, to full-on prog metal (shining, ultralyd) & experimental noise (spunk) to...well, sky's the limit.

personal faves/preferences:

- alog (superb electronica, quite original, mixes acoustic instruments in as well)
- information (well-established norwegian electronica duo, like an idm-ish biosphere)
- phonophani (again, more excellent, post-idm stuff)
- jazzkammer (on the noisier end of the spectrum but i do in fact like what lasse marhaug does in this guise)
- deathprod (truly out there avant jazz/rock/uncategorizable)
- supersilent (the label's superstars? absolutely essential electroacoustic improv, a term which damns with faint praise and is a clumsy descriptor but for lack of space here...)
- arne nordheim (classic norwegian electronic avantist/collagist, on similar axises w/stockhausen, parmegiani, ina-grm folks, a true pioneer)

oh yes, and henricksen does indeed trip the stereofield fantastic as well: post-miles/isham trumpet explorations w/digital processing, synths/electronics, straddling jazz and experimentalism.

'appy investigations/listening.

Rodge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 01:23:50 AM »
Deathprod are a must hear.  Awesome drone/experimental soundscapes.

Also Arne Nordheim, Arve Henriksen and Supersilent.... I could continue listing all the bands on their roster, what a label.  As was mentioned earlier, just dive in.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 04:27:50 PM »
As for Deathprod, I have to admit to having always steered clear of them because of that name.  Is this a case of the name not really fitting the music?  I imagine some kind of post-Merzbow buzzsaw-meets-industrial-grinder earsplitter, with that name.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Somnia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 06:27:53 PM »
Deathprod is quite a producer actually, and lends his hand to more accessible material like the Susanna & The Magical Orchestra music.
Evan Bartholomew
(bluetech, evan marc)
Native State Records / Somnia

Rodge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 02:16:37 AM »
Yeah, the name Deathprod is quite misleading.  I was lucky enough to hear it when I worked in a record store, otherwise I might have also given it a miss.  Can't recommend it highly enough though.

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 02:46:07 AM »
Heard it online years ago and was always fascinated by who this was creating this stuff. I would recommend Nordheim Transformed, his interpretation of Arne Nordheim's work. Fascinating stuff, well work checking out. An interesting collaboration with Geir Jennson, but emjoyable. The title may be a bit off-putting, but there are no chainsaws anywhere near this recording.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.