Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 1106319 times)

thirdsystem

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #4920 on: February 10, 2016, 03:29:54 AM »
First listen to DSOTMoog yesterday. All 5 discs. First time I have heard these as I only had VIi. Have to say there is way more beat orientated stuff than I would normally tolerate or purchase, however I really enjoyed all of it. Interesting and diverse with the ambient in particular something special.

In respect of the new TD boots. I suspected the overall sound quality would be dissapointing no matter what they did to it. That was certainly the case with the Bootleg Box Set , vol 1, ie the five disc set from Esoteric that was reissued in 2012.  Sure the same boy is constantly coughing during the Blbao gig. The Reims album is on Spotify and have heard it through once, quality a bit disappointing . All this stuff however is an interesting look at the mighty TD live.

Also have the Edgar Froese box set , really excellent to get these masterpieces on CD. Only dissapointing thing was no Mac Transfer. I have a superb vinyl copy of that one though. That may be my favourite actually.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: February 11, 2016, 11:32:49 PM »
The bonus disc on Moog box is Evolution of the Dark Side of the Moog, previously issued on Fax.  It's just a collection of excerpts from the first four Moog albums.

The Edgar Froese box set mentioned contained the original studio versions, although the tapes were remastered.  For some reason I prefer all the original Virgin issues from the 80s for TD and Froese.  Some of that remastering can really ruin a perfectly good thing.  As the saying goes, don't fix it if it ain't broke. 

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: Today at 03:42:39 AM »
Klaus Schulze--Stars are Burning.  Speaking of official boots, here's a two disc set released by the artist via his manager/publisher, Klaus D. Mueller.  Audience recordings from 1977 and 1979 that circulated for years, now cleaned up and official.  The coughing guy is here, he even blows his nose as an added bonus.  Not high fidelity but a cool memento of the time period.  Recommended only for those with more than a casual interest in KS.  As on the La Vie Electronique sets, Mueller gives some really idiotic titles to some of the tracks.

I see there's now another TD bootleg box on Esoteric, I think from around 78-80.