Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 1307059 times)

Castleview

• View Profile
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #5140 on: August 13, 2016, 12:09:21 PM »
Death Cube K - Dreamatorium

Haven't listened to this in a long time but it's one of the best dark ambient albums ever.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: August 13, 2016, 01:52:45 PM »
Thanks for the Eternell recommendation, Chris.  I have two of his releases as Purl that are pretty good.

Currently enjoying some experimental ambient--Monos' "Above The Sky."

Forrest

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #5142 on: August 18, 2016, 05:37:30 PM »
Remember-  ルートバックホーム
Ambient vaporwave. Beautiful urban soundscapes, with a haunting emotional vibe. There is a lot of garbage in this genre, but this is a true gem.
https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/--22

2 8 1 4  - Rain Temple
Also from Dream Catalogue: New collaboration from HKE and telepath. Great stuff with a nice mixture of pulsed tracks and neon sound collages.
https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/rain-temple

Steve Roach - Shadow of Time
I enjoyed listening to this when it first arrived. But it is a bit one-dimensional. Perhaps it is that simplicity that makes it attractive on a first listen, but there isn't much here to captivate me and draw me back for repeated spins.
https://steveroach.bandcamp.com/album/shadow-of-time

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: August 20, 2016, 02:57:03 AM »
Steve Roach - Shadow of Time
I enjoyed listening to this when it first arrived. But it is a bit one-dimensional. Perhaps it is that simplicity that makes it attractive on a first listen, but there isn't much here to captivate me and draw me back for repeated spins.
https://steveroach.bandcamp.com/album/shadow-of-time

Maybe it's the sounds used, which has changed his music. I find most of his new compositions nice but not the sounds used.
"There are the unbiased and fleeting moments in music, which are eternal and imperishable."

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: August 20, 2016, 04:08:09 AM »

Haven't listened to this in a long time but it's one of the best dark ambient albums ever.

Have this, but not listened for an age. Will have to check it out again.

Have you heard his guitar ambient album, Colma? TBH it's not really ambient but I suppose for Buckethead it is  ;) Has some of the most beautiful guitar melodies and tunes I have heard. In fact one of the best guitar orientated albums ever for me, and that is saying something.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #5145 on: August 21, 2016, 07:52:31 PM »

Have this, but not listened for an age. Will have to check it out again.

Have you heard his guitar ambient album, Colma? TBH it's not really ambient but I suppose for Buckethead it is  ;) Has some of the most beautiful guitar melodies and tunes I have heard. In fact one of the best guitar orientated albums ever for me, and that is saying something.

I have not heard it. TBH, I don't follow Buckethead too closely. Might have to check that out sometime though.

I actually got Dreamatorium mainly because Bill Laswell worked on it.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: August 22, 2016, 01:00:25 AM »
Alio Die - Suspended Feathers.

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: August 23, 2016, 02:25:12 PM »
Chris23.

Went to that link.Enjoyed that Remember.Never heard of Vaporwave? I must not be with it.What is it? Much off that label Dream seems pretty generic.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #5148 on: August 23, 2016, 05:50:44 PM »
Chris23.

Went to that link.Enjoyed that Remember.Never heard of Vaporwave? I must not be with it.What is it? Much off that label Dream seems pretty generic.

jdh: I don't find the vaporwave genre appealing; much of it is trite and dull. Most of the music is deliberately lo-fi, sample-heavy, and seems to celebrate a by-gone era when people watched Miami Vice, used Windows 95, and thought that phones would would work better if they looked like palm trees.

But the ambient vapourwave / dreampunk arm that has spun off from this fad is really cool. Dream Catalogue represents much of this work (but also caters to dull stuff too). In addition to Remember, here are some of my favorites; you might enjoy these too:

Virtual Dream Plaza

Long-form ambient drones
https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/-

Beat driven and dreamy
https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/--18

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #5149 on: August 23, 2016, 05:55:12 PM »
Maybe it's the sounds used, which has changed his music. I find most of his new compositions nice but not the sounds used.

I've listened to it a few more times now and have a better appreciation for the tracks. But I think you're right: The sound palate doesn't seem very rich on this release.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: August 26, 2016, 08:19:56 AM »
Have to say I am enjoying the new Mr Rich offering especially the title track , away to stick it on in a bit for a further listen as have been totally absorbed all week in ........

Jacob Newman- Biospherica . This really is my kind of ambient, wonderful, in my top releases this year. Well done again to the Carpe Sonum label.

And today ....

Triple S - Poles . Melody orientated Berlin Scool with guitar and many ambient aspects. If you haven't heard this yet then do yourself a favour and check it out . Magnificent.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #5151 on: August 26, 2016, 07:29:18 PM »
Jacob Newman - Biospherica
I agree with thirdsystem: this is a fantastic release and one of the noteworthy albums of the year. Bubbly, glitchy, and occasionally dubby ambient textures, with nice melodies, field recordings, and atmospheres.
https://jacobnewman.bandcamp.com/album/biospherica

somni451 - Alice
New one--and self-released. This feels like "classic" sonmi451, but with slightly trippy atmospheres and some obvious Wonderland influences. Some of the tracks are reminiscent of the newer work, but what I like about this is that it integrates those sounds with the older sonmi451 style in a way that is both familiar and fresh.
https://sonmi451.bandcamp.com/album/alice

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: August 27, 2016, 10:51:48 AM »
Biospherica is awesome. Definitely one of my favorites of the year as well.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: Yesterday at 09:21:08 AM »
Steve Roach & Vir Unis - Blood Machine

A favorite. Still fresh enough. "Sense" is amazing.

I think there were plans to do a re-release on Atmoworks.com. I'm pretty sure I've read about it years ago. Too bad it never happened.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #5154 on: Yesterday at 11:27:32 AM »
Steve Roach & Vir Unis - Blood Machine

A favorite. Still fresh enough. "Sense" is amazing.

I think there were plans to do a re-release on Atmoworks.com. I'm pretty sure I've read about it years ago. Too bad it never happened.

Yeah, "Blood Machine" is a true visionary work, an ultimate milestone!!! ;) Btw, there are still some mint or near mint copies available via Discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/13612?ev=rb

Richard

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: Yesterday at 01:04:40 PM »
Vir Unis - Live at the Miramar

For me the best Vir Unis! Ultimative deep and atmospheric.
"There are the unbiased and fleeting moments in music, which are eternal and imperishable."

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: Today at 03:46:13 AM »
Mentioned elsewhere and checked out .....

Sonmi451. - Four Peaks, on Spotify. Time released sound, expensive collectors item job it appears. Very nice quiet , reflective ambient. Wasn't so keen on the "Limbic" album as found the female whispering a tad annoying, will give it another go. Four peaks is worth checking out.

Currently...

Carbon Based Lifeforms - Hydroponic Gardens. I bought the Carbon pack from Ultimae a while back. High quality melodic and sequenced ambient with some beats. Warm and interesting , impressive bass frequencies !!