Author Topic: What Are You Eating Today?  (Read 3412 times)

hdibrell

• View Profile
What Are You Eating Today?
« on: January 01, 2010, 01:59:22 PM »
I know everyone has different New Years Day traditions. What do you eat New Years Day? Both Kathy and my families are southerners and we share the same basic food traditions. I've got a ham on the smoker as we speak. We'll also enjoy black-eyed peas, rice and collard greens. Also, I'll be making some jalapeno, cheddar cornbread to go with it. For dessert, a store-bought cherry pie topped with Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. Then I will take about a two day nap. ;)  Happy New Year everyone.    Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: What Are You Eating Today?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 02:40:46 PM »
We're not eating anything special or out of the ordinary for New Year's day.  In fact, I don't know if I know anybody I know personally (in real life, not online) treats New Year's day as a "special dinner" holiday at all.

To me, today is all about the Rose Bowl, especially this year.  Go Ducks!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 03:24:53 PM »
Today I have been eating Ham, Brussel Sprouts, carrots, leek and onion gravy. plus a later dip into doritos and then chocolate.....

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 04:18:13 PM »

To me, today is all about the Rose Bowl, especially this year.  Go Ducks!
WHAT!!! There's football today? Nobody ever tells me anything!

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 04:47:30 PM »
No special tradition here.

I usually do most of the cooking.  Last night my wife and daughter gave me the night off and made dinner.  My daughter made her specialty chow mein burgers; my wife made bow tie pasta.  Now, my wife doesn't like to ask me for advice -- it's too much like admitting she needs help.  Besides, it's pasta!  Who needs advice with pasta?!  She just brought the big pot of water to a boil and added the two boxes of pasta to it.

Two ... boxes.

We all had seconds on the pasta last night.
The kids had pasta for breakfast this morning.
I'm going to try to make a side dish with the rest for dinner tonight.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »
We're not eating anything special or out of the ordinary for New Year's day.  In fact, I don't know if I know anybody I know personally (in real life, not online) treats New Year's day as a "special dinner" holiday at all.
That's funny. Most everyone I know (personally) has something they do special foodwise for New Years. A lot of them do have to do with the football games. There is a lot of barbecuing going on and a lot of ham and black-eyed peas. Some will just have a bite of black-eyed peas or a shot glass of them for good luck even if they don't like them. My friends of Mexican descent will often have a bowl of menudo in the morning and just about everyone around here will put down too many tamales.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 05:20:55 PM »
No special tradition here.

I usually do most of the cooking.  Last night my wife and daughter gave me the night off and made dinner.  My daughter made her specialty chow mein burgers; my wife made bow tie pasta.  Now, my wife doesn't like to ask me for advice -- it's too much like admitting she needs help.  Besides, it's pasta!  Who needs advice with pasta?!  She just brought the big pot of water to a boil and added the two boxes of pasta to it.

Two ... boxes.

We all had seconds on the pasta last night.
The kids had pasta for breakfast this morning.
I'm going to try to make a side dish with the rest for dinner tonight.
I do all of the cooking at my house, but that is something I'm bad about, as well. I always make too much pasta. It just never looks like enough when I start it. At least there are a lot of things you can do with it. ;)

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 07:15:08 PM »
Let's see, I did some oatmeal and an orange earlier, then recently I had a turkey breast sandwich from Subway with Fritos and some cabernet. Now I'm going to head out for a walk.

Happy 2010!

Steve
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 11:05:29 PM »
Oh, well. I thought that maybe some other parts of the country and/or world had some New Years Day food traditions I didn't know about. Guess not. I hope everyone had a great New Years Day anyway. Sorry about the Rose Bowl , Mike. I was pulling for the Ducks.      Harry

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 12:35:18 AM »
I spent New Year's Eve and Day '75-'76 in Louisiana -- well, technically on an oil rig in the Gulf -- and I remember that Hoppin' John was a big deal.  Well, actually, your mention of black eyed peas brought it back, and I had to Google to find the name, but that's what it was -- I found several recipes all revolving around black eyed peas, pork and onion.

The only tradition we had growing up in NJ was sandwiches.  Mom was still burnt out from cooking for the big family Christmas celebration and she and Dad would go out with friends for New Year's Eve, so they'd leave us a plate of pre-made sandwiches in the fridge.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 05:49:48 AM »
Honey-roasted ham.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 09:50:26 PM »
I spent New Year's Eve and Day '75-'76 in Louisiana -- well, technically on an oil rig in the Gulf -- and I remember that Hoppin' John was a big deal.  Well, actually, your mention of black eyed peas brought it back, and I had to Google to find the name, but that's what it was -- I found several recipes all revolving around black eyed peas, pork and onion.
Actually hoppin' john was what we have , too. I figured no one would know what I was talking about if I called them hoppin' john.

Blackinfinity

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 04:17:19 PM »
meatballs.

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 11:30:48 AM »
Gravel

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 05:43:50 AM »
I think main new years day food in UK is a wide variety of 'nibbles' - different meats, salads, crisps, dips etc and to include things like salmon and cream cheese on biscuits....though in recent years Icelands has done a wide variety of nibble size party foods such as samosas, spring rolls, cakes etc.....

Of Course, in Scotland there is Haggis.

Today at work I had Pork cutlet, rost potato, stuffing, brussels, carrots and gravy.

Followed by a whole packet, jealously guarded, of blackcurrant flavour fruit pastilles.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 01:16:08 PM »
You know, holiday questions aside, it's always interesting to hear what people eat.  I guess I tend to assume most people eat the way people around me eat (not that I myself eat the way people around me eat, for the most part).  Most Americans seem to enjoy pre-fabricated food, stuff in brightly printed cardboard boxes with lots of preservatives, lots of high fructose corn syrup, and artificial colorings.  When I look at what people have in their shopping carts at the grocery store, I'm always flabbergasted.  When people buy meat or vegetables, it's not the actual, basic food itself... it's some processed, breaded, fried, or sauce-covered product (maybe even pre-cooked) in a bright cardboard or plastic package.

It's good to hear about people making weird, slightly exotic stuff like haggis, Hoppin' John, black eyed peas with ham (or is that Hoppin' John), or gravel.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 02:18:07 PM »
I do almost all the cooking at home, Glenys was able to burn water when I met her (not too far off the truth!!) but over time she has shown an amazing skill at timing when it comes to big meals such as christmas dinner when family come. Saying that, she managed to burn the stuffing this year - can still smell it as a light scent tone when returning home.

I tend to cook from fresh and Glenys is quite picky in her food tastes - her favourite is 'stir fry' but generally using lots of tomatoes for the liquid base rather than a lot of oil. mix of spices, soya sauce and sometimes red wine added.

My favourite is either:
Oven baked trout - in foil with olive oil, butter, black pepper and fresh coriander. A squeeze of lemon juice and some soya sauce - whole cherry tomatoes and some slices of red/orange/yellow pepper added to the collection before closing the foil and cooking for twenty minutes.....just long enough for the meat to come off the bone and the bone to come off the meat in one piece.

Or Lots of closed cup mushrooms sauted in olive oil and butter till the juices come out. Add a range of tasty veg and cook in the juices - add pot of cream just before serving.......

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 02:27:31 PM »
You know, holiday questions aside, it's always interesting to hear what people eat.  I guess I tend to assume most people eat the way people around me eat (not that I myself eat the way people around me eat, for the most part).  Most Americans seem to enjoy pre-fabricated food, stuff in brightly printed cardboard boxes with lots of preservatives, lots of high fructose corn syrup, and artificial colorings.  When I look at what people have in their shopping carts at the grocery store, I'm always flabbergasted.  When people buy meat or vegetables, it's not the actual, basic food itself... it's some processed, breaded, fried, or sauce-covered product (maybe even pre-cooked) in a bright cardboard or plastic package.

It's good to hear about people making weird, slightly exotic stuff like haggis, Hoppin' John, black eyed peas with ham (or is that Hoppin' John), or gravel.
I, too have always been interested in what people eat in different parts of the world as well as different parts of the US. I have traveled quite a bit in my life and when I do I try to find out about the foods of the area and try them. I try to avoid fast food and chain restaurants whenever I can. Although sometimes that is difficult. Try to find something to eat while traveling the interstate highway system sometime. Depressing! On a postive note, it is easier to find ethnic foods in many places today. Mexican food used to be isolated in the border states, now it's all over. What used to pass for asian foods was almost totally Americanized Chinese. Now, many different types of asian cuisine are available almost everywhere. Now , regional Mexican and Central and South American food is available in many places as well as all kind of Medditeranean, European, and others. Some areas of the world are still under represented, but hopefully that will change. Oh, well. I have to go now. I'm getting kind of hungry.  ;)      Harry

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »
I once drove across the USA and tried to find VEGETARIAN things to eat along the way, and it was pretty much hopeless outside of Oregon and California (and even then, near I5, it was difficult enough).  Try finding vegetarian food anywhere near a major freeway in Oklahoma or Texas (maybe outside of Austin?) or Nebraska or Tennessee!  As Harry said, anywhere near an interstate freeway, food is pretty much identical everywhere.  Lots of fast food, Red Robin, Chili's, Cracker Barrel (in the Midwest and South), Buffalo Wild Wings, etc.

I spent a couple of weeks in Montreal years ago, and though it was a beautiful, elegant city with a lot of great restaurants, ethic foods I was accustomed to such as Mexican or Thai food were virtually nonexistent.

Also when I visited Philadelphia and spent some time with Saul Stokes and his wife who were living there at the time, I seem to recall there were no Mexican restaurants, but plenty of Thai and Indian restaurants.... though all the kitchen help in the Indian restaurant we tried were Mexicans!  There was a cheesesteak sandwich place and a deli on every corner,  though, no matter whether you were downtown or in the suburbs.

Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations TV show does a great job of exploring geographic diversity in food customs.  It's one part travel show and one part food show, and the most interesting episodes are when he visits some locale whose cuisine is not well known in other areas.  When he visits Thailand and finds Thai food, or find French cuisine in Paris, it's no big revelation, but seeing how people eat in Cleveland or Iceland or Singapore is interesting.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 10:10:17 PM »

Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations TV show does a great job of exploring geographic diversity in food customs.  It's one part travel show and one part food show, and the most interesting episodes are when he visits some locale whose cuisine is not well known in other areas.  When he visits Thailand and finds Thai food, or find French cuisine in Paris, it's no big revelation, but seeing how people eat in Cleveland or Iceland or Singapore is interesting.
No Reservations is one of my favorite shows for just those reasons. Kathy hates it because he is so obnoxious.  He doesn't bother me, though. Have another beer? :D I can remember back in the early '70's how you couldn't get deli food or a decent sub anywhere in the south outside of a couple of major cities. Vegetarian had to be tough. BTW, I'm going for a hot bowl of Pho tomorrow. Isn't food diversity great?  :)      Harry