Author Topic: 2008 outlook for Hypnos (and Binary and Hypnos Secret Sounds)  (Read 63369 times)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: 2008 outlook for Hypnos (and Binary and Hypnos Secret Sounds)
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2009, 08:50:16 AM »
Everybody here knows about the better-know Hypnos releases by Robert Rich and Vidna Obmana, plus Pearce's To the Shores of Heaven, and some of the compilations with "big names" on them.

It pleases me to see so many people recommending less-known and slower-selling Hypnos CDs on their lists.  Some of these "second tier" releases (in terms of notoriety, not quality) have grown in reputation over the years, which has been nice to see. 

In a few cases, some of our releases have fizzled in terms of initial sales, only to accumulate word of mouth.  Some Hypnos CDs are selling just as frequently in their sixth or eighth or tenth year of release as in year one.  This is extremely contrary to what normally happens (a huge spike of orders right off, and then a curve down to a slow trickle of sales after the first year) and I think the reason is lists like this.

Paul Vnuk's solo album is a great example, and Modell-Mantra's Sonic Continuum is another.  Tollefson's solo albums haven't yet had the "sales renaissance" of the two just mentioned, but it's nice to see more and more people mentioning them as worthwhile, a decade after they were released. 

Anyway, I just wanted to thank those of you who help spread the word about recordings you've found worthwhile, and mention that it does seem to have a cumulative effect.

I myself have been listening to a lot of earlier Hypnos music lately, including Twilight in the Offing by Chad Hoefler, and many repeated plays of Smile on the Void by A Produce. 

Hypnos HQ has also recently heard The Butterfly Chamber by James Johnson, Somnium by Robert Rich and Lost Terrain by Jeff Greinke. 

Usually my "home grown ambient" listening time is mostly taken up with recent and upcoming releases, and sometimes after I've heard something many, many times during a short period (either my own music played many times during recording/editing, or another artist's work heard again and again during mastering) I'm sick of it and don't play it much for a while.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:05:39 PM by lena »
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

DachDerain

• View Profile
Re: 2008 outlook for Hypnos (and Binary and Hypnos Secret Sounds)
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2010, 04:13:52 AM »
Can you possibly give us an update on Tidal Phases Of The Moon by Evan Bartholomew?