Author Topic: 2 new Mathias Grassow/Tomas Weiss releases (Nautic Depths/Quiet calling II)  (Read 5634 times)

El culto

• View Profile
and yet i counted over 25 mathais and mathais/collaborators on itunes  ;)        h

Hehe...i knew something was coming up  ;D

This is why i said particulary "our own"....meaning by collab and label.... ;)

Cheers,
Tomas

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
I just got Siberian Winter last week and it's quite brilliant, a bit more dynamic than North Passage. Also got Quiet Calling II a few weeks ago and it's already become one of my favorite ambient albums in recent years. I love cellos, and they're used to absolutely magical effect here.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

drone on

• View Profile
I received Siberian Winter and I agree, brilliant disc.  Also about the fact it is more dynamic (not necessarily better, but style wise the first N.Depths was more subtle).  Highly recommended.  Nice job Thomas and Mathias!

El culto

• View Profile
Re: 2 new Mathias Grassow/Tomas Weiss releases (Nautic Depths/Quiet calling II)
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 10:00:11 AM »
Ein Sophistry & drone on

Thanks a lot for your very nice words - really appreciated !

Greetings
Tomas/Mathias

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 07:18:15 PM »
Quote from: Scott M2
Very nice and well-matched. I particularly liked your panning around 3:30-4:00.

Hey, thanks for the response and your nice words about it  :)

BTW: Just watching your "Soundscape for.." video. This is a great performance...what is that "Ping" sound ? It might sound funny but IMO it holds all together.

Cheers,
Tomas

Sorry Tomas - I missed your question earlier. The "Ping" sound is from a Korg Kaossilator set to a piano sound
which was then processed through a little distortion and phasing in an Alesis BitrMan and then a bit of reverb.
(You can see the Kaossilator later in the video when I've picked it up to play a few MiniMoogish lines.)
I was trying to evoke the feel of the "Ping" at the beginning of "Echoes" by Pink Floyd to tip my hat to Rick,
who had just passed away that week. Thanks for watching/listening and commenting.   :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:25:56 PM by Scott M2 »

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 11:11:59 AM »
Quote from: Scott M2
Very nice and well-matched. I particularly liked your panning around 3:30-4:00.

Hey, thanks for the response and your nice words about it  :)

BTW: Just watching your "Soundscape for.." video. This is a great performance...what is that "Ping" sound ? It might sound funny but IMO it holds all together.

Cheers,
Tomas

Sorry Tomas - I missed your question earlier. The "Ping" sound is from a Korg Kaossilator set to a piano sound
which was then processed through a little distortion and phasing in an Alesis BitrMan and then a bit of reverb.
(You can see the Kaossilator later in the video when I've picked it up to play a few MiniMoogish lines.)
I was trying to evoke the feel of the "Ping" at the beginning of "Echoes" by Pink Floyd to tip my hat to Rick,
who had just passed away that week. Thanks for watching/listening and commenting.   :)

Hi Scott,

thanks for the info !

As i said i like this "sound" and the rare use of it very much - it evokes a great but subtle feel and itīs like an "omen".

Cheers,
Tomas

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 11:22:02 AM »
Video: Quiet calling II

Greetings,
Tomas