Author Topic: Microphonics  (Read 5480 times)

vidnaObmana

• View Profile
Microphonics
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:37:57 PM »
First of all my sincere wishes for 2010, may it be above all an healthy year !  The rest will follow naturally.

A bit of selfplugging, if I may.  For those who like vidnaObmana, I can proudly say that I've been working on minimal ambient music, returning to the days of Memories Compiled 1&2, but with guitar, effects and a tube amp under my own birthname.  Returning to the purity of playing music, without the complexity of editing, multi-tracking and such but straightforward performances recorded real-time.  Microphonics is the name of the series and up till now all the releases were vinyl-only but on February 16th the debut LP Microphonics I-V will be reissued on CD.  I might even return to the States one day for a short tour.  So for those who are interested, check it out...

"a cd edition of the debut album microphonics i-v, with extended versions, will be on sale from 16 of february in deluxe mini album cardboard sleeve with obi. connecting the mid-period ambient-moods of dirk serries' former outfit vidna obmana with the more melancholic side of his current guitar drones, microphonics i-v was, at the time of its release, welcomed as a congenial addition to his catalogue - with belgian monthly gonzo circus considering the album a logical successor to vidna obmana classic »the river of appearance«.
coinciding with the extensive european tour later this year, tonefloat is now offering microphonics i-v as a luxuriously packaged cd. all tracks included on the disc are slightly longer than the original versions, approximating the atmospheric microphonics live-sets and allowing for an even more immersive journey into what canadian magazine textura called "a glimpse into the meditative heart beating at the center of serries' music". "

www.microphonics.be
www.myspace.com/mymicrophonics

To pre-order :
http://www.crazy-diamond.nl/tonefloat/html/store.htm

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Microphonics
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:24:40 AM »
Hi vidna,

Nice to see you back on the Forum.  I'll be picking up Microphonics and 3 Seconds of Air next month.  Looking forward to these!

vidnaObmana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:05:42 AM »
Much appreciated !  Microphonics is something I've actually been working towards since the first days of vidnaObmana.  The search for the most purest form of music and creating atmospheres.  Something I lost control on in the prolific days of vidnaObmana but it's thanks to all experiments, collaborations and cross-overs I've been able to return to the most essential for myself. 

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:40:12 AM »
that's very good new indeed!
i've been checking the sounds from your myspace site Dirk and i instantly ordered the CD :)
i hope many new Microphonics installments will follow!

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 01:55:55 AM »
Thats funny Jim, I went to the myspace page and instantly fell in love with this CD as well.
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

nuun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:34:15 AM »
Microphonic is just great. Have the LP edition and i'm happy to see it released on CD, then i will be able to set an automatic replay and not having to move from my sofa anymore :-)

sonic-hypnosis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 01:31:17 PM »
Hi Dirk,
when will be already finally released "CHASING THE ODYSEE"??

solyaris

• http://solyaris.altervista.org
    • View Profile
    • http://solyaris.altervista.org
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 11:05:20 AM »
ciao Dirk!

I'm enjoying your clips @ myspace.

I feel your sound on guitar now more evanescent (in a positive sense, in the sens of "elevation&adrift"!).
Anyway I always recognize you style, your dark cloudy harmonies are still there .. :)

Yes, you told about a "returning" ... I appreciate and I share yoor thought regarding the choice of the "simple" analogical-chain of guitar treatments realms against the digital architectures.

Also surprise me a bit you mention of Robert Fripp on your myspace page;
That man created so beatiful "soundscapes" with the Eno's revox machine ...
but afterward he created less beautiful "soundscapes" with his hyper-tecnological digital stations of recent years :(

So your music now open my immagination about how possibly Robert could play his les paul overdubs, now in 2010 ... :)

“Time never dies. The circle is never round” (from movie "before the rain")

Thanks
giorgio
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:09:33 AM by solyaris »

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 04:24:05 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous. Sounds like a musical balance between solar and lunar is being achieved. I buy very few cds these days, but this will be one I definitely pick up. Thanks for the great sounds, and please come play in Seattle some day.

vidnaObmana

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:00:06 AM »
Thank you all for the very nice feedback, guys !  I absolutely appreciate this and for me this is a tremendous confidence boost in order to continue.  The vidnaObmana story was all over but my passion for the intimate, minimal and spacious not so the microphonics series is the translation of my passion for this style of music.  No concept, no philosophy, no complex composing or recording but a way of living and playing the drones I love to do.

I would love to come over to the States, 9dragons, and it will happen one day for sure.

'Chasing the Odyssee' is still scheduled for the first half of 2010 but since it's such an huge work it takes us a bit longer to get it into the production without overlooking any relevant detail.  We hope to have it out by April.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 01:19:20 PM »
Hope you can make it to the west coast, too (San Francisco Bay Area to be exact).   :)

vidnaObmana

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 12:07:46 AM »
I'm happy to announce that the Microphonics I-V is now out and available and it looks stunning.  Lavishly packed in a high-quality Japanese sleeve + obi.  This album features all the tracks from the debut vinyl album, unedited and therefor a bit longer.  Hope you'll enjoy the return to minimal atmospherics...

You can order the cd through http://www.crazy-diamond.nl/tonefloat/html/store.htm

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 12:13:23 AM »
Just ordered mine!!!
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

vidnaObmana

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 11:52:12 PM »
Much appreciated, Paul !  Hope you'll love the album.

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 05:26:21 AM »
my copy arrived on Saturday morning and was enjoyed very much last night :)

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 05:30:20 AM »
I love the cover by the way, is that one of your photos Dirk?

vidnaObmana

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 04:18:06 AM »
Thanx, Modulator_esp

The photo was taken by Martina Verhoeven in New York.
The music of microphonics is for me personally an urban soundtrack so therefor every studio album will accompanied by shots from cities...

Oh yes, after long delays I finally managed to update the last fm profile with streaming audio from all albums, including the live one-sided vinyls, all tourdates, etc. After the tour I'll upload Microphonics XII as well and perhaps a few other of the live recordings.  For those who doubt it, listen to hear I'm back with full harmonic and minimal music since the early vidnaObmana days  :D

http://www.last.fm/music/Dirk+Serries

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:35:52 AM by vidnaObmana »

Premonition Factory

• View Profile
    • Premonition Factory
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »
Dirk,
Good to hear you've uploaded the tracks to
http://www.last.fm/music/Dirk+Serries
. I think it's a good platform for musicians to promote music and for fans to discover new music. My 2 cents :)

PS See you Saturday at the venue, I'm looking forward to it!

Sjaak
premonitionfactory.com -  Ambient drone music

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 02:59:19 PM »
Why is it called Microphonics I-V (the CD reissue) and there are four tracks (Microphonics II, III, IV, V)?  ???
What happened to Part I?  :o

vidnaObmana

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 04:33:13 AM »
Why is it called Microphonics I-V (the CD reissue) and there are four tracks (Microphonics II, III, IV, V)?  ???
What happened to Part I?  :o

Part I wasn't qualitive enough to be included with the other songs for the album but it remains part of the original I-V studio session.  Therefor the numbering... Thanx.