Author Topic: RQ004: If you could, who would you see live and hang with for day?  (Read 18729 times)

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
Re: RQ004: If you could, who would you see live and hang with for day?
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 10:20:52 PM »
Wendy Carlos. Her work probably did more to push me in my musical and technical direction than anyone else. Switched-On Bach in 1970 was the first time in my sheltered life I'd ever heard a synthesizer and realized that you could create music with electronics. Once I saw the possibilities, I had to know more. All my DIY keyboards and mini-recorders are my attempt to emulate in some small fashion the amazing music she creates. In interviews she comes across as a consummate professional musicologist and razor-sharp perfectionist. I'd love to see that first-hand and talk about whatever she finds interesting. I have a feeling my head would explode at the end of the day, but heroes will do that sometimes.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 04:22:45 PM »
Martha Argerich for piano lessons all day.

Scott Raymond

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 08:34:41 PM »
I've met some interesting and even well known people over the years. It amazes me how many of them are good, decent people. Will Ackerman told me years ago after Michael Hedges' death that what he remembers most about Michael isn't what a great guitar player he was, but what a great human being he was. I've come to echo that sentiment with a lot of the people I've met. I remember what great people they are more than I remember what great musicians they are. Not that they're not great musicians as well, but I've come to understand that it's who they are as people that I enjoy more than anything.

The one I'd like to hang out with the most: I've met Michael Hedges, but never interviewed him or even sat down to talk. That's one of my few big regrets.

Random people I've met:

Tony Levin - Lives about an hour away from me, and has confessed to listening to my show. I've met him and interviewed him, and he's a great guy. He's also vegetarian and an espresso junkie.

Steve Roach - Met him back in the 90's at a workshop that later became his master classes. After the interview, I hung out and talked and watched random people make music until the wee hours. He's really a great guy.

Jonn Serrie - We've talked a couple of times now. Very intelligent, very savvy, and a very nice guy.

Will Ackerman - Contrary to popular belief, he's very friendly, and one of the most down to earth people I've ever met. I've hung out with him on several occasions now. He tells great stories.

Jeff Pearce - Put us in a room together, and we'll either gossip like old women about the music business, or engage in serious discourse about shows like King Of The Hill or South Park. A true friend.

Scott Raymond
WVKR-FM
16 Penn St.
Fishkill, NY 12524
newage@secretmusic.net

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 07:24:06 PM »
I would love to meet and hang out with robin trower, seen him twice at same club a year apart in the mid/late 80's = fabulous.

Also I would have to say Rush as well seeing these two are two of my all-time favorite guitarists. And Geddy and Neil are so damn talented it's stupid.

Also My Dying Bride, Mournful Congregation Mourning Beloveth for some of my favorite doom bands. That would be a treat ;-)

Sunbreak Music

• View Profile
    • Sunbreak Music, High Resolution Stereo Mastering
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 08:27:20 PM »
Also I would have to say Rush as well seeing these two are two of my all-time favorite guitarists. And Geddy and Neil are so damn talented it's stupid.

Poor Alex...after all he did for us ambient types with his ethnic scales and volume swells...still gets left in the shadows....

;)
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 09:32:07 AM »
I saw Rush 3 times in 1978/1979.  I was diving into learning guitar.  In 1979, I bought a Fender Mustang, took a music theory class and it all clicked.  I was up front, like on the stage watching Alex play.  I considered it the best guitar lesson I ever had. 

I just remembered, my wife and I did hang out with Corky Laing and his wife after a Mountain gig.  I didn't meet Leslie, but during the show he was probably the funniest front man I've ever seen.  (should this go under the memorable gig thread?  oh well.)
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 02:43:56 PM »
I've met all these people but would've liked to hang out with:

Steve Kilbey (The Church)
Mark Burgess (The Chameleons)
Daniel Lanois
Robin Guthrie
Harold Budd (interviewed by phone, very cool dude)

Haven't met but would like to:

Peter Kuhlmann (Pete Namlook)
Brian Eno
Robin Storey

triksterb

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 11:35:31 AM »
I'd like to meet Robert Rich, as he is a pretty big influence and is pretty much what started me listening to ambient music.  It would be cool to see his setup in person and see how it all works to create the music that he makes.

For my other favorite genre, breakcore, I'd like to meet Aaron Funk of Venetian Snares fame.  It would be amazing to see how he works and how he gets all of his tracks to be absolute chaos, yet have great structure and mixed so well you can hear every detail, despite how chaotic it is.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 11:47:05 AM »
Most of the ambient-ish music people I've met have been really cool, and easy to talk to.  Robert Rich and Steve Roach have been mentioned a few times, and they're both easy enough to go up and talk to after a show.  I've seen Roach perform twice and both times he was surrounded after the show by people who wanted to chat with him.  I've seen performances by Robert Rich, Jeff Greinke, Saul Stokes (three times I think), Jeff Pearce, Jim Cole, Vidna Obmana (two or three times) and after the show they just stood around and nobody really bothered them but me!

Actually, Pearce usually has a large number of female groupies, so you kinda have to elbow them out of the way, but they don't really count as ambient music fans since they want him for reasons other than appreciation of the music, if you know what I'm sayin' here.

So, if your goal is to meet one of these folks, it's probably easy enough to do if you can make it to one of their performances.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Axs

• View Profile
    • Blue Oranges Netlabel
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 04:42:10 PM »
After a lot of thinking, Rod Modell. Definitely.

I'd love seeing how he produces music, how does his studio look, and considering he might probably have a whole lot of old unreleased material in DATs on his shelves, this is really the producer I'd love to meet and talk to.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 09:29:15 PM »
Actually, Pearce usually has a large number of female groupies, so you kinda have to elbow them out of the way, but they don't really count as ambient music fans since they want him for reasons other than appreciation of the music, if you know what I'm sayin' here.

I didn't know Pearce has a day job as a hairdresser.  ;D

I've met and got to hang out with quite a few people I've wanted to over the years. Chris Franke, Paul Haslinger, Micheal Hoenig, Jon Hassell. Met a bunch of film composers last year like James Newton Howard, Mike Post and Charles Fox through my job which was pretty cool. I'm lucky enough to call both Steve Roach and Robert Rich friends. Actually I wouldn't mind just hanging out with any other ambient musician, kind of cool to see what others are doing. Aside from that, probably the one person I haven't met that I would really like to meet is Peter Gabriel.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 10:32:24 PM »
I've only met a few folks face-to-face: Jon Mark and his wife Thelma were wonderful folks - down to earth and charming as all get out. Robert Rich was so "un-showbiz" it was hard to believe it was actually him. VidnaObmana (whom I met at a concert in Milwaukee in 1997) was quietly gracious and humble. Jim Cole and his lovely wife shared Kathryn's and my hospitality for an evening here in Mpls. and I still fondly remember watching LOTR on DVD with Jim (Hi Jim!). I met James Asher and his wife in England in 2001 and enjoyed a great home-made dinner. Mike Simmons and his wife were delightful company for a day - great visit to a place with fresh dry cider! And, of course, Kevin Kendle's friendship over the course of 2 days in England during which he served as tour guide and wonderful companion will stay with me forever. A truly gracious and generous person. We also had dinner with Llewellyn and Juliana who proved no less charming (no doubt unknowns to non-new age music fans).

I wish I could buy a beer for both Jeff Pearce and Tim Story - two artists whom I have admired since before I started reviewing music. And, to be honest, so many others. I'd love to meet the Spotted Peccary crew: Jon Jenkins, Howard Givens, Deborah Martin and others. And if I'm ever againt in the Pacific Northwest.....well, watch out. Katie, bar the door! Mike and Lena - the drinks are on me!!!

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 10:38:09 PM »
I met Loren Nerell a few times  ::)
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 10:13:25 AM »
I met Loren Nerell a few times  ::)

Yes I seem to remember having a nice conversation with one Paul Vnuk at NAMM just a few weeks ago.  :) How many times have we bumped into each other at NAMM? One of these days we will have to hang out in a non-NAMM related time.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 05:11:57 PM »
Too funny, probably around 5-6 times or so, and I think you are right, every time I have ever seen you has been at NAMM. Man I miss those Vietnamese restaurant evenings the most!  ;D
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 05:13:38 PM »
'Nam at NAMM?
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 07:06:29 PM »
I'd like to have spent time with Max Planck or some other deeply creative physicist (perhaps gallieo or Da Vinci - perhaps Marie Curie or Maria Mayer) - just being in the room when they were in the zone and feeling the movement of the universe whether in atomic or galactic size just through thought - for someone to work out that the universe is expanding before it was even known there were more than one galaxy is just a level of creativity/ understanding/ intuition that is just mind boggling.

I suspect that such a meeting would involve a lot of equations, so I hope you like math :-)

MikeS

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 07:12:41 PM »
From what little I have been able to find out about her, Pauline Anna Strom a.k.a Trans-Millenia Consort seems to be a very interesting person.

MikeS

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 11:33:28 AM »
'Nam at NAMM?

Yes, Robert Rich started a tradition of going out to a local Vietnamese restaurant every Friday night of the NAMM show weekend. Robert was a no show so no Vietnamese restaurant this year.  :(

Quote from: michael sandler
From what little I have been able to find out about her, Pauline Anna Strom a.k.a Trans-Millenia Consort seems to be a very interesting person.

Is she even making music anymore? I have two LPs by her, I think the last I heard of her was way back in 1986!
Take care.

- Loren Nerell