Author Topic: RQ007: Most memorable concerts you've ever attended.  (Read 11271 times)

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
RQ007: Most memorable concerts you've ever attended.
« on: January 15, 2010, 07:10:15 AM »
Random Question #7

Most memorable concerts you've ever attended

...I think this was a thread in the past - not sure how long ago.   Lots of new members though - so... have at it!

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Seren

• View Profile
Re: RQ007: Most memorable concerts you've ever attended.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 08:47:29 AM »
Hawkwind 1977 Hammersmith Odeon - only show I've ever seen people just sit through with open mouths until the encore.

Hawklords 1978, various dates - was like one long concert as they did some different songs in each gig, different play orders in each gig and different lighting etc.

Inner City Unit - can't remember when or where but will never forget the daffodils.

Bob Calvert in a small club in London

Nik Turner's Sphynx, Tim Blake - Glastonury 1979. + a small jazz band in a side tent, music was OK but drummer was soooo stooooooooned, he held the rhythm easily but a small smile would start that got bigger and bigger and bigger until he realised and pulled himself back together and then started it all over again.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:07:21 AM »
Devo, 1981 (or maybe 82?), Portland
I was a huge Devo fan at this time in my life and had missed the New Traditionalists tour a year earlier so I was very ready for the Oh No It's Devo! tour.  This was the tour with the all-black outfits, baggy pants and sleeveless shirts with white plastic shell gadgets over their shoulders.

The band played in front of large video projection screens, which was the first time I had ever seen or heard of anybody doing this.  The projections included some clips from their videos, but a lot of other weird stuff too, and the band interacted with what was happening on the screens as they performed.  The energy level was incredibly high, lots of jumping around and jogging in place, sweat flying everywhere, just a generally high intensity level.  Looking back, I realize now they must have been doing a lot of cocaine or speed, but at the time I just thought they were badass punk rockers with synths.  Despite the emphasis on electronics including sequencing on their albums, the live performance emphasized guitars and bass guitar, with lots of actual, live synth playing, even solos. 

At one point (gosh, I've forgotten which song) Mark Mothersbaugh (who was twice as manic and sweaty as the other guys, with long, curly bangs sweat-stuck to his face) ran out into the audience with a wireless hand-held mic and sang the first half of the song in the middle of the crowd.  OK, that reminds me, the song was Q: Are We Not Men, A: We Are Devo! because Mothersbaugh sang the song in a sort of call-response with the crowd, singing "Are we not men?" and then jamming the microphone into the face of whatever crowd member he was with at that moment so they'd sing "We are Devo," again and again, working his way through the crowd.  In the middle of the instrumental break, Mothersbaugh disappeared out a side door in the auditorium and we figured he was making his way back to the stage... then a spotlight found him up on the balcony, hanging on to the rail with one hand and throwing a thick rope over with the other hand.  He flung himself over the edge and climbed down the rope as he started singing the end of the song, and then finished as he made his way through the ground-level audience again and back up to the stage.  As I type this, I can't believe he really did all that, especially the incredibly dangerous stunt at the edge of the balcony.

It was the first concert I'd ever seen and to this day remains by far the best.  Oh No It's Devo wasn't their best album, wasn't even their second or third best album in fact, but they played a lot of stuff from their first four albums so I was happy.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 09:12:48 AM »
great topic, even if we did it before

Wolfgang Voigt performs GAS, Miller Theater, 2009   :o

Swans farewell tour, final NYC performance, Irving Plaza 1997  (Windsor for the Derby and Low opened)

Kraftwerk US return tour, Hammerstein Ballroom, 1998

Bauhaus reunion tour, Hammerstein Ballroom, 1998 (you can hear my wife screaming on the gotham dvd/cd)

Echo & the Bunnymen perform Ocean Rain at Radio City Music Hall, 2008

Robert Forster & Grant McLennan reform for one show at Maxwell's in Hoboken NJ before official Go-Betweens reunion, 1999

Dead Can Dance at Radio City Music Hall, 2005

Ennio Morricone's 1st US concert, Radio City Music Hall, 2007

The Fall, Coney Island High, 1997, (the one where they got into a fight onstage and "broke up" the same night, thus ending the tour)

Jon Hassell, Carnegie Hall, 2009

Thomas Dolby, Sole Inhabitant tour, Joe's Pub, 2006

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 09:52:26 AM »
Another memorable concert

Monsters of Rock, the original 1988 tour, Seattle Kingdom.
Lineup included Metallica (before they were huge, but they were the reason I went to this), Scorpions, Van Halen, Dokken and Kingdom Come.  Wouldn't you know the one time I get to see Van Halen, it's with Sammy freakin' Hagar?  They were OK live, I guess, but not so great as to be headlining this tour.  Scorpions were insanely polished here, with a performance both flawless and sort of robotic.  

Metallica was unbelievably great, powerful, everything arena rock music should be, and had the crowd going nuts.  This was memorable because I got  caught up in an incredibly forceful crush on the floor level as the audience surged toward the stage.  I'm a decent-sized, able-bodied guy, but there were younger kids and smaller girls actually being hurt.  I talked to a guy years later who worked security for the show and he said one person ended up dying, though it wasn't mentioned at all in the media.

This show was so memorable because my friend and I had stayed up all night, driven from Portland to Seattle at 3 AM to line up for tickets, waited outside all morning until they started letting people in, and then spent something like 9 more hours inside the Kingdome.  It was exhausting, overwhelming, and a complete freak show.  One other thing I remember was that between sets, they would play other music over the PA and people mostly ignored it, but at one point they played this new song "Welcome to the Jungle" by this brand new emerging band called Guns N' Roses, and the crowd reacted as strongly and enthusiastically to this as they had to any of the bands when they played on stage, except Metallica.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:58:18 AM by mgriffin »
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 11:13:35 AM »
Best concert: The Tallis Scholars. Just 10 people singing sacred music from the Renaissance without accompanyment. Talk about being transported.

Worst concert: Van Halen, 1984 Philadelphia. Roth was drunk and "sang" little more than "Whoa yeah woo" and the odd juvenile sexual crudity (Alex raising his drumsticks as an analogy to raising his, well never mind). The sound was awful. The bass frequencies overwhelmed everything else. The bass drums and bass guitar were like atomic bombs, which would have been fine except they drowned out everything else. So this meant I couldn't hear the guitar half the time, which kind of depreciates the value of a VH concert.

To make matters worse, I had floor seating. When the concert started, everyone in floor seats stood up on their chair, so I had to stand on a chair the whole night to see anything (and I still couldn't see a whole lot). Then people started trying to stand on the backs of their chairs, with predictable results.

Fortunately, Alex must have drank some coffee or God knows what else, because he was all over the drums. So I just said to hell with the rest of it, this is a drum clinic. I ignored everything else and just listened to the drums. What a performance. Drummers know how good that guy is, but in the general public he's shamefully underrated.

MikeS

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 11:36:22 AM »
The greatest industrial rockers out there: Rammstein who played in Paris

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 11:48:20 AM »
The greatest industrial rockers out there: Rammstein who played in Paris

That reminds me of the loudest concert I've ever seen.  No, not Monsters of Rock (though it was pretty damn loud), but Front 242 at the Moore Theater in Seattle in 1990 or 91.  The band was getting restless waiting for the show to start when suddenly the most piercing, painful, intensely loud tone came out of the PA.  I'm sure every single person in the audience covered their ears and assumed some kind of mishap had occurred, some kind of feedback was out of control.  The sound didn't stop though, and after about ten seconds everyone in the audience looked around trying to figure out if we should exit the theater or something, at which point the stage lights came up, the band ran out on stage, and the shrieking feedback noise was replaced by a nearly-as-loud drilling percussion sequence.  The entire show was over the line from "loud" into "painful," so much that I have less recollection of the performance than I do of the NOISE.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 12:14:38 PM »
Top of the list would be Pink Floyd:
The Wall concert at Nassau Colosseum, Long Island
Dark Side of The Moon tour at Montreal Forum  
Wish You Were Here/Dark Side tour in Hamilton
Animals/Wish You Were Here tour at the Olympic Stadium, Montreal
Momentary Lapse tour (1st time through) in Exhibition Stadium, Toronto

Maybe I'll check in later with some other peaks among the great shows I've been able to experience.

Thanks to Mike for reminding me of Devo at Massey Hall, Toronto - I can't recall the album
they were touring but it had the state of the art (for the time) projections which the band
interacted with (including a pirate, if that's an album clue), then they did the flowerpot/lampshade era
then broke it down to their earliest material. Wondrous fun!

Now this is reminding me of David Sylvian at Massey Hall. (which, BTW, is IMO the best hall in Toronto).
My sister & I had front row balcony seats for the Beehive tour and his band included Mick Karn,
Steve Jansen and I think Richard Barbieri from Japan plus Mark Isham and David Torn.
Every so often I'd hear a particularly magical sound and I'd scan the keyboards on stage,
Sylvian-no, Barbieri-no, Isham-no and it would inevitably be Torn on guitar instead.
Deep and Enveloping!

Loudest, most ear-damaging for me would be Iggy Pop.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 01:00:27 PM »
Skinny Puppy, sometime in the late 80's, at First Avenue, Minneapolis.  Simply an amazing show - I was afraid it'd just be three guys playing tapes and standing around, but they had all sorts of crazy props.  Ogre never stood still - a total maniac.  I left covered in stage blood, and I was several rows back from the stage.  I saw them a couple years later, and it was pretty boring...  but that first show, holy crap!

Stereolab/Mouse on Mars, mid-late nineties, Coffman Union, U of Minnesota.  I had just worked almost 24 hours straight, and was utterly exhausted.  I stood front and center, right by the stage, so I could lean on it.  I was pounding coffee to stay awake.  Mouse on Mars were unknown to most of the crowd, so nobody got too enthused for the first 15 minutes, but by the end of their set, the place was going nuts.  Stereolab put on a stunner of a show, chaotic and hypnotic - for an encore, Mouse on Mars joined them onstage for a massive improv jam.  In my half-awake haze, it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard, truly trance-inducing rhythmic bleeps, gorgeous organ chords, chiming guitars, and squiggly synth lines.  I've seen Stereolab several times since, and they never came close to the energy of this night.  Mouse on Mars left that night with several hundred new fans.

Loudest show would have to be the Cows.  The first time I was them was pretty crazy:  Shannon Selberg (singer) walked on stage completely naked while the band raised demons with an unholy din, everything so loud it was hard to think straight.  Just one big wall of noise, with a naked Selberg slowly stalking around the stage wearing nothing but a big curly moustache that he'd drawn on himself with a Sharpie.  He proceeded to do a reverse-striptease, slowly putting on his clothes.  When he was fully dressed, the band launched into their set, and never turned down the volume for the entire show.  At one point Shannon set his trumpet (yes, a rock-n-roll trumpet) on the stage, and lit it on fire, doing his best Hendrix impression.  Absolutely crazy show.  Here's Shannon, with some jumper cables attached to his pants...

The Touch and Go bands from Chicago used to play Minneapolis all the time - I got to see Big Black, Didjits, and Killdozer dozens of times - always great.

Funniest show would have to be Jonathan Richman - God how I love that guy!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:09:54 PM by SunDummy »
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 01:33:22 PM »

The best 3 gigs I've been to were seeing killing Joke at Leeds, on the 'Brighter than a 1000 suns', 'Extremities' and 'Pandemonium' tours - Intense !
Also, Hawkwind on their 'Levitation' album tour (at Middlesbrough) were fantastic too, as were the Sisters of Mercy at Leeds.
I could have seen Janes Addiction but went to a party instead - Doh !

Worst:
Marillion (3 times!) - really poor and loads of really crap heavy rock bands in Middlesbrough in the eighties.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »
In 1969 I was a big Jethro Tull fan. They had just released Stand Up, I believe. They were playing in Houston opening for Joe Cocker. Both played excellent sets. However, the best part of the show was the opening act. I had never heard of Fleetwood Mac and was just blown away by them. Peter Green was amazing! I spent the next couple of days calling every record store I could to find an album by them.  Oh, I almost forgot, Ray Charles at Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C. I think it was in 1967 maybe 1966. Fantastic show. I didn't really want to go. I only did so because my best friend's parents were going and bought two extra tickets. So he and I went basically because we had nothing else to do. It was fantastic!!     Harry
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:47:48 PM by hdibrell »
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »
Yes in 1979 in the round at Boston Garden, 6 rows from stage
Rush in 1979 3rd row balcony sitting between 2 guys on either side with an antler pipe and weed/hash! WOOHOO! ;-)
Van Halen 1979 for 2nd album tour, was right at barricade at start, end I was about 30-40ft back still in middle. Won't go on floor for show like that (general admission) even though all my extreme shows are GA, I stand back from the pit ;-)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 05:41:49 PM »
This thread brings back a ton of music-loving memories.  I remember also...

...Seeing Adam Ant's STRIP concert in Eugene, and being really, really disappointed at how his act had been re-imagined to appeal to teeny-bopper girls.  At one point they rolled out a transparent plexiglass tub filled with water and Adam stripped down to a sparkly gold speedo and started frolicking in the water as he sang "If I strip for you, will you strip for me?"  Oh my! 

...in Eugene, having front row tickets to Oingo Boingo's Hult Center concert for Dead Man's Party.  At one point Danny Elfman put his foot up on the short speaker at the edge of the stage right in front of me, and I could see his sneakers were really worn out and his black pants had lint or cat hair on them, and the skin around his eyes was kind of old looking.  Rock star illusion shattered!

... at Wow Hall, also in Eugene, seeing 10,000 Maniacs just before Natalie Merchant split off and became super-popular.  I mainly remember this because one of the people I was with, whom I will not identify but whose surname rhymes with "Pollefson," was so drunk the security guys threw him out, and rather than leave the show with him, we took him outside and left him passed out on a bench until we retrieved him after the show.

... Bauhaus re-re-reunion tour, Portland 4-5 years ago.  The only enjoyable concert I can recall attending in the past 10+ years.  They actually did real justice to the material and didn't seem to be just cashing in.  It was cool to see the young goth kids turning out for this great band, along with seeing a number of people I knew and hadn't seen in a long time.

... New Order, 88 or 89 tour in Portland at Civic Auditorium.  I mainly remember being disappointed at how sloppy they were, especially Hooky, and how disinterested they seemed.  But I'm glad I had a chance to see them once in my life.

... Cocteau Twins, after they got a USA record deal and you could actually find all their albums here.  I think they just released Blue Bell Knoll, or gosh... Heaven and Las Vegas?  The memorable thing was, I fell asleep in my seat right after the show started and woke up again just before the end.  My friend Pete said "I would have woken you up if anything worth seeing had happened," and my other friend Dave had slept through part of the show too.  Years later I talked to somebody else I didn't know at the time, but who had been at the show, and she said not only had she fallen asleep and slept through the entire show, but one of her friends had done the same.  WTF?  I've never heard of anything like this before or since.  Did they pump knockout gas into the place?

... Sinead O'Connor at an outdoor venue (a stage set up on somebody's farm, actually, with amphitheater seating on this grassy hill) near Salem, Oregon.  She was such a kook in real life, but she truly had an amazing talent and special charm as a performer.

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 06:02:20 PM »
great memories,so many concerts though not lately.All Montreal.Some of them are....

O.M.D-Architecture & Morality 1981.cutting edge new wave.
Pink Floyd-Division Bell-1994-still visually my fav. ever, the benchmark.
Depeche Mode-Devotional 1993-Dave Gahan strung out but the show was giant.
David Bowie-Sound and Vision-1990.classic songs and the suit.
Gary Numan-Living Ornaments Pleasure Principle 1980.
Cocteau Twins-Heaven or Las Vegas-1986.in a church.
Kraftwerk-Computer Love 1981 & Minimum Maximum 2005.

Loudest-Ministry;Land of Rape and Honey.
Worst-New Order 1987 (and they are one of my favs so very disappointing)

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »
oh-that was Kraftwerk Computer World Tour 1981-I am listening now to Computer Love,the song. :)

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 06:11:43 PM »
Re: industrial rockers, or any concert at all: I always carry with me a pack of ear plugs. Also, to mover theaters ::) I'd like to keep what's left of my hearing for a bit longer

Scott Raymond

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 08:07:19 PM »
Here's a few memorable ones (the few I can remember, anyway).

Butthole Surfers, Vassar College, early 80's - they were drunk, we were packed in like sardines. Magical.
David Sylvian, Town Hall, NYC, 1988 - Incredible lineup, amazing show.
3 (K.Emerson/C.Palmer/some other guy), Poughkeepsie, NY, late 80's - Saw Keith Emerson do his keyboard magic from about 20 feet away in a club.
Steve Roach, Philadelphia, 1997 - Great show.
Vidna Obmana/Jim Cole, Hartford, CT, late 90's - Not at all what I expected. Very acoustic. I'd do almost anything for a copy of the recording.
Robert Rich, Troy, NY, a few years ago - Heard him play a piano solo before Open Window. Wow.
Peter Hammill, Woodstock, NY, 2009 - The encore was an acapella piece sung from the balcony of the club. His voice has lost none of its power.
Dead Can Dance, NYC, 2005 - Great show.
Loreena McKennitt, NYC, 2007 - Great show.
ARC, Philadelphia, 2009 - Worth the trip just to hear "Assassin" as the encore.
Jackson Browne, Kingston, NY, 2009 - I counted 16 guitars on stage. A great show.
Wave World, Electro Music 2005 - A true multimedia extravaganza.
Will Ackerman, Middletown, NY, 2007? - Held in the great room of a mansion. Wonderful setting.

Worst show:
David Johansen, Poughkeepsie, NY, late 80's - We went to see Ian McDonald's (King Crimson, Foreigner) band play, which was pretty good. David was drunk off his ass and threw his microphone into the crowd at one point. This was before the Buster Poindexter days.

Scott Raymond
WVKR-FM
16 Penn St.
Fishkill, NY 12524
newage@secretmusic.net

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 08:48:19 PM »
Ha! I saw the Cocteau Twins at Massey Hall but they were lost in a cloud of smoke, but no smoke that I inhaled that night put me to sleep.

Also immersed in smoke was a great triple bill at the Sky Dome here on Halloween: Spiritualized, Curve and Jesus & Mary Chain. All shadows in mist.

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 09:31:09 PM »
The most awesome recent concert that blew my mind was Tori Amos.  I wasn't prepared, and was almost quite irritated to be there, as I wasn't in a concert mood at all.  What happened after she floated onto the stage blew my mind.  She is a phenomenal performer with a wonderful sense of dynamics- she worked so damn hard, all night, pouring everything into her songs.  I left exhausted emotionally.

Other brilliant concerts:
Jeff Buckley (1995)  I was a massive fan of his before he sadly died, and witnessing him live was a revelation.  The audience (of about 2000) was transfixed, and unusual for a 'rock' audience, completely quiet.  People were telling others to shut up.  Some got quite hostile at people who dared to speak.  And this was at a typical rock venue, where people usually mosh and generally let it all hang out.  The place turned into a church when he played.

Sonic Youth:  I saw them several times in the 90's and they always seem to control the elements in an almost supernatural way.  During one outdoor concert, it began to rain as they played.  I don't know if it had the same effect on the audience, but it was pretty magical for me. Some people looked confused at the wonderfully impressionistic yet abrasive sound.  I loved them even more because of it.

Tristan and Isolde (concert version) by Wagner.  This performance, which featured Lisa Gasteen, a local brisbane soprano who has conquered the opera world now, was phenomenal.  I was transfixed and felt like I'd be hollowed out and filled with marshmallows by the end.

Beck:  This was one of the most fun concerts I've ever been to.  Spaceships, Giant Creatures and all sort of whacky shit roamed the stages, while Beck took the audience through his massive backcatalog.  Completely brilliant.

Elliott Smith: I was fortunate enough to support Elliott Smith back in 2000.  He is one of the most brilliant songwriters I've ever come across, and he was wonderful live.  I didn't summon up the courage to talk to him, after doing soundcheck with him, and I wish I had.  He just sort of sat there in a corner during the soundcheck, strumming his guitar and writing something.  As you may know, he took his own life in 2003.  Very sad.

Many other concerts come to mind, but I'll leave it at that.

Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com