Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 1508779 times)

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #5460 on: February 22, 2017, 12:07:53 PM »
Arecibo - Trans Plutonian Transmissions

Meant to get that a number of times and just never got around to it.

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: February 22, 2017, 12:54:20 PM »

Arecibo - Trans Plutonian Transmissions

Love that album.  There were rumors of a follow-up, but it never materialized.

Lustmord's newest album Dark Matter could be considered the follow up.  Both use recordings from outer space.  The newer album doesn't have the industrial sound like Arecibo.  I only listened to the first 20 minute track.  The other two tracks may be different.   

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: February 22, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »

Never understood why anyone would want to listen to partial albums. I guess that means I'm old fashioned.

Because buying and listening to tracks I don't like would be a waste of money and an un-enjoyable listening experience.

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5463 on: February 22, 2017, 01:56:27 PM »

Never understood why anyone would want to listen to partial albums. I guess that means I'm old fashioned.

Because buying and listening to tracks I don't like would be a waste of money and an un-enjoyable listening experience.

I don't know where in the world you're located, but over here in the U.S. it is rarely cheaper to buy albums digitally track by track vs. buying the whole album. By the time you've bought 3/4 of the tracks you're up to the price of the whole album or you have exceeded the price. The money argument doesn't really work from what I've seen.

I suppose you save a little storage space by doing this but storage is getting cheaper all the time these days. If you really dislike certain tracks I guess leaving them out of your digital music library saves you the pain of having to listen to them.

In general I try to take artists' work as a whole. To use Monolake as an example, IIRC, the Interstate album features tracks that segue into each other. Without the index markers, it's basically one long track. Lots of ambient and ambient related do this. Breaking everything up, leaving out tracks, and putting it into one big shuffle playlist feels cheap and half-assed to me.

My 2 cents...

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5464 on: February 22, 2017, 02:26:15 PM »
Recently:

Some roots reggae and dub discs this morning:

Dennis Brown - Visions
The Inturns - Consider Yourself
Morwell Unlimited - Dub Me
Creation Rebel - Historic Moments vol. 2

On the ambient-ish front:

Damon Eliza Palermo - Clouds of David - Cassette
https://1080pcollection.bandcamp.com/album/clouds-of-david

Floaty and ethereal, but rough around the edges. I like this quite a bit but I'm probably biased since I know the person that made it. I think the tape is sold out but you can get the download from BC.

Aube - Blood Brain Barrier

One of Aube's less harsh works, IIRC all sounds sourced from EEG equipment.

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: February 22, 2017, 02:54:28 PM »

I don't know where in the world you're located, but over here in the U.S. it is rarely cheaper to buy albums digitally track by track vs. buying the whole album. By the time you've bought 3/4 of the tracks you're up to the price of the whole album or you have exceeded the price. The money argument doesn't really work from what I've seen.

I suppose you save a little storage space by doing this but storage is getting cheaper all the time these days. If you really dislike certain tracks I guess leaving them out of your digital music library saves you the pain of having to listen to them.

In general I try to take artists' work as a whole. To use Monolake as an example, IIRC, the Interstate album features tracks that segue into each other. Without the index markers, it's basically one long track. Lots of ambient and ambient related do this. Breaking everything up, leaving out tracks, and putting it into one big shuffle playlist feels cheap and half-assed to me.

My 2 cents...

In the case of my recent singles instead of albums Monolake wishlist.  It would cost 7x-10x more to buy the entire albums to get a bunch of tracks I don't want to hear.  I'm happy to buy a whole album if most of it is something I want to hear. 

In the case of Interstate or other albums that have tracks fading into each other, the beginnings and ends of songs are edited in a manner that is better suited to how I like to listen to music. 

All the music I buy might be customized.  Some tracks might get shortened substantially to prevent monotony.  Some tracks might get reprocessed to permanently adjust level, dynamics, eq, etc.  Some tracks don't get modified at all. 

ryansummers

• View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: February 22, 2017, 03:42:46 PM »
How do you know when a song is finished?
"When I'm sick of making it." - Richard D. James

https://soundcloud.com/ryansummers
https://ryansummers.bandcamp.com/

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #5467 on: February 22, 2017, 05:23:22 PM »
Purl - Childhood Dreams
Lovely 20-min track from the archives.
http://eternell.net/album/childhood-dreams