Author Topic: New William Basinski  (Read 1619 times)

drone on

• View Profile
New William Basinski
« on: January 17, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »
For some strange reason I had never acquired any Basinski until recently, specifically his new release "Vivian & Ondine."  One long infinite loop that is so gorgeous you don't mind its repetitive nature.  This piece reminds me greatly of Rapoon (maybe why I like it so much), or some of Celer's work.  Any recommendations for other Basinski releases? This is definitely an artist I'll be exploring further.

ech3

• View Profile
Re: New William Basinski
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 05:48:35 AM »
Where did you get it?

I was listening to The Drone Zone channel on SomaFM and heard an amazing song by William Basinski called "The Garden Of Brokenness".

I'd love to get it.  It's a long track but beautiful and mesmerizing.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:03:20 PM by ech3 »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 01:45:13 PM »
ech3,

I got this from a store (Amoeba Music in San Francisco).  But you can also get it from his website, or other online retailers I'm sure. 

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 06:51:30 AM »
I'm a fan myself.  Many of them are similar, so you might want to listen to a few before you end up buying.  I think the Disintegration Loops set is really great (though a tough listen all the way through because they can be so repetitive) and I also highly recommend El Camino Real.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »
I love me some Basinski, especially El Camino Real (which in my book, is his best output) but i am not a big fan
of the latest one. It just doesn't touch me and i don't really like the whole thing.

runningonair

• View Profile
    • Runningonair
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 03:38:04 AM »
Partly based on this post and a bit of my own research, I've been listening to some of Basinski's work.  I like the way the tape distortion and drop out is part of the music.  The only problem I have with it is that some of the tracks are just too long.  However I did find this on spotify

http://open.spotify.com/album/0JK0I092LXQSZAd2D3bFU0

Melancholia, It comprises of 13 tracks and therefore encompasses a range of moods.

Also if you like Basinski, you might also like this (according to the Boomkat review at least)

http://boomkat.com/downloads/311631-joe-evans-craig-burston-systems-out-of-chance