Author Topic: Issues with XP Pro SP3 and Motu 828Mk II FW  (Read 2874 times)

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
Issues with XP Pro SP3 and Motu 828Mk II FW
« on: January 22, 2010, 07:23:13 PM »
Hi,

I picked this up from my buddy for $300 as my M-Audio Omni Studio decided to lose the left channel output after having it for awhile. So I figured, let's install the latest drivers. Talk about having problems! Sheesh! I finally got a solution that worked and allowed the CueMix console and SMPTE Console to load with latest drivers.

Backstory - Apparently the MS FW drivers worked ok in XP SP1, but were broken in SP2 and still in SP3 release....I found an older driver that worked but had a lot less functionality available. So I found a thread recently at the motunation forum about a free FW driver for XP and Vista 32 bit. I snagged it and after cleaning out old M-Audio stuff from registry the newer driver (MOTU) still wouldn't load up the CueMix Console (device on an bus at unsupported speed or something to that effect).

So I removed the MOTU software, deleted the m*asio.drv file from system32 directory (the uninstall does NOT remove this file and is NOT backwards compatible per the forum too....bad uninstaller, bad MOTU coders...). I then rebooted, installed this AVT FW driver (kudos for the app that comes with it, it allows you to select to install it and go in place of the MS FW driver and can use to change back to MS if you want to (nice coding!)), rebooted, system came up ok. I then installed the latest MOTU drivers sans 828Mk II turned off/unplugged. I rebooted again, plugged unit in after login, turned it on and finished device discovery. All looked fine (as before btw). I rebooted again for good measure and loaded up CueMix Console - HUZZAH/VIOLA! It worked! I loaded the SMPTE Console and it came up as well! I was VERY VERY happy that it is working now. You do not know the headache I've been working through trying to get it to work with the latest drivers. Guy at the forum said "reset your system, it doesn't like overclocking" which turned out to be crap, i.e. made ZERO difference on trying to install latest drivers (at that time) and I said so in forum. No response. Also was told MOTU works best with a FW card with the TI chipset (mine is a Dynex 400x1/800x2 card w/Lucent/Agere chipset). And try and reach tech support via phone - NO LUCK AT ALL (and local to me in massachusetts....).

So bottom line is with that AVT FW driver the MOTU behaves much better, i.e. I can run CueMix (Mixer) now in XP Pro SP3.

I also put (at the time) the latest driver from MOTU for my Vista Ultimate 64 install and it went a LOT better compared to XP. It was pretty much smooth install. I haven't updated it to the latest driver. Mainly it is for Win7 support. Anyways, I will update Vista at some point. For now XP is working as I hoped it would so I can stick running it w/Live vs booting to Vista. I should work in Vista more though.

Mike

Blackinfinity

Re: Issues with XP Pro SP3 and Motu 828Mk II FW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:11:23 PM »
Mike, you will have no problem to run Vista drivers in WIN7.
They are officially supported and is guaranteed to work since it is
backwards compatible with Vista drivers, XP drivers will most likely not work though.
WIN7 will solve many problems I am sure...

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 01:21:50 AM »
Computers can be a nightmare.....

I recently bought an E-MU 1212 soundcard - looked great and had the optical S/PDIF ins and outs I wanted.

Installed it and found that one channel was popping, even with nothing plugged in. Contacted tech support and after receiving all sorts of advice including 'check if it is hyperthreading and turn it off', 'change ports and IRQ's' and 'reconfigure background services' the company that sold it to me (who I'd been cc'ing in the emails) told me to send it back to them....I had asked E-MU to tell me how to do these things but Thommann didn't want to wait for the answer (and me possibly srewing up my computer!!).

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 06:40:47 PM »
Mike, you will have no problem to run Vista drivers in WIN7.
They are officially supported and is guaranteed to work since it is
backwards compatible with Vista drivers, XP drivers will most likely not work though.
WIN7 will solve many problems I am sure...

I am holding off on Win7 till it's been out awhile and I am working and have some disposable income ;-)  and I see people are running Live on it with other stuff.

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:43:17 PM »

I recently bought an E-MU 1212 soundcard - looked great and had the optical S/PDIF ins and outs I wanted.

Installed it and found that one channel was popping, even with nothing plugged in. Contacted tech support and after receiving all sorts of advice including 'check if it is hyperthreading and turn it off', 'change ports and IRQ's' and 'reconfigure background services' the company that sold it to me (who I'd been cc'ing in the emails) told me to send it back to them....I had asked E-MU to tell me how to do these things but Thommann didn't want to wait for the answer (and me possibly srewing up my computer!!).

Ugh...I am glad I found that other thread with the pointer to the drivers (even though updated link still isn't right it got me close enough to find it) as it worked with latest MOTU drivers. So now to figure out a few tweaks on the MOTU and CueMix and I'm good to go (good enough for now but need minor tweaks for external ins, etc...).  I know, I'm no dummy but this one had me stumped. I almost was going to get a TI chipset FW card per what I've read that MOTU works *best* with that chipset on those cards. Then finding that SP2 and SP3 were still somewhat *broke* in XP for the FW drivers....

Best of luck with the replacement. I am not doing any digital ins/outs at this time (nothing to connect to it that I can think of for hardware).

Mike

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 01:30:29 AM »

Ugh...I am glad I found that other thread with the pointer to the drivers (even though updated link still isn't right it got me close enough to find it) as it worked with latest MOTU drivers. So now to figure out a few tweaks on the MOTU and CueMix and I'm good to go (good enough for now but need minor tweaks for external ins, etc...).  I know, I'm no dummy but this one had me stumped. I almost was going to get a TI chipset FW card per what I've read that MOTU works *best* with that chipset on those cards. Then finding that SP2 and SP3 were still somewhat *broke* in XP for the FW drivers....

Best of luck with the replacement. I am not doing any digital ins/outs at this time (nothing to connect to it that I can think of for hardware).

Mike

Could not get a replacement in the price range and was a little nervous of trying again, so went for a hard disk camcorder instead ;D

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 09:11:02 AM »
Motu and Digi are both really bad about not updating drivers for a long time after new operating systems (both Mac and Win) come out.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »
Drivers have been updated twice since I got this unit. Problem was with the FW drivers in the OS that didn't like the MOTU stuff. Nice of them to even address this (NOT).