Author Topic: Beta Test Drum Machine for Ableton Live 8  (Read 7279 times)

saulstokes

• View Profile
Beta Test Drum Machine for Ableton Live 8
« on: January 22, 2010, 09:55:04 PM »
Hi,

I'm looking for a few beta testers who would be interesting in spending a half hour checking out a drum machine I've built/designed for Live 8. There's just a few questions I'll have for you and you get to keep the drum machine (which includes almost 1000 drum sounds).  Mike's on the list but I would love to have 5 or 6 people give it a good look.

Please email me through the forum. Total time required is probably 30 - 40 minutes.

Requires:

Live 8
Operator
mac or pc

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
Re: Beta Test Drum Machine for Ableton Live 8
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 06:44:15 AM »
Please feel free to PM me about this as I'd be more than happy to check/test this out.

If you are posting a link, send the mail to darkendsoul@comcast.net which will get to my mail account on the DAW system so I don't have to do any forwarding/downloading and moving via USB device.

Mike

saulstokes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »
Mike, my email to this address is getting kicked back...

Blackinfinity

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 04:10:31 PM »
what type of drum machine is this ?
Sequencer based ???

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 04:44:50 PM »

I suspect he mis-spelled his own name... not "darkendsoul" probably but "darkenedsoul" @comcast.net
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 05:09:58 PM »
I don't have Live 8 yet or I would love to try it. Are the drum sounds from Blip Drums? If so, that would be a really exciting instrument!   Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

False Mirror

• View Profile
    • False Mirror
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 05:13:57 PM »
I have not upgraded to Live 8 yet, I will do it when I'm buying a new laptop (soon).
Why does it work with Live only? Did you create it w/ Max4Live?

saulstokes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 11:15:22 AM »
Hi folks, yes it's a Blip Drums based drum machine built around Ableton's Instrument Rack. Here's my in progress write up:

blipdrums is pleased to announce its first Ableton Live Drum Machine - Magenta

Magenta is a powerfuly unique electronic drum machine fusion of Blip Drums' world class electronic drum library and Ableton instruments and effects.

Magenta comes as a simple drag and drop Ableton Live Pack. Each pad contains a library of individual electronic drum sounds that are accessible simply by scrolling through a virtual knob (very similar to scrolling through oscillators on a wave table synthesizer). For Example, the bass drum pad has 127 bass drums that are accessible at any time simply by turning a knob. This allows freedom to explore drum sounds during play back without the hassle of loading external samples or searching through your hard drive. In addition, automation of the scrolling knob allows you to automate sample changes on the fly.Each sound also has its own set of 7 control knobs that radically manipulate and tweak the sample.

Magenta also includes three uniquely designed all synthesized bass, snare, and hat, each able to produce an exceptional range of funky to minimal drum sounds. Each of the 3 synthesized sounds have 8 control knobs that completely sculpt and process the 3 pads.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 05:50:23 PM »
That is great! Do you know if it will work with Live 8 Intro? That's the one I have been looking at getting started with due to shortage of funds at the present.      Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

saulstokes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 08:47:58 PM »
Well Harry, we could try it. I don't see why not. Does it have Operator? Send me your email and I'll send you a link.

s

saulstokes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 08:49:38 PM »
False Mirror, it's built with Abelton Instruments and Effects so it's only for Ableton.  :(

No, it does not use Max for Live in any way.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 04:58:55 AM »
Saul - this is awesome.   I don't have Ableton so won't ask for a link, but just wanted to say how great it is to see you creating this.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 06:37:12 PM »

I suspect he mis-spelled his own name... not "darkendsoul" probably but "darkenedsoul" @comcast.net

DOh! My bad. It is darkenedsoul@comcast.net to reach me (account on my XP Pro SP3 DAW system, otherwise it's metalmike@comcast.net for quicker responses (copy that one so I know you did send mail to the DS account).

Mike

Exuviae

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »
This sounds way cool.

saulstokes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 10:24:49 PM »
Well, so far I'm getting really positive responses regarding Magenta. I'd still love to have a MAC user test it out.

Anyone???

s

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 08:28:46 PM »
I can forward the link when you send it to my metalmike email address and I'll send it to my buddy as he has a MBP laptop.

Mike

saulstokes

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 11:01:52 PM »
Hi everyone, I've attached the in progress manual for Magenta. I will contact you beta testers with a new version to download tonight. Lots of fixes.

Magenta Manual

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcJ3A19PORKeZGdkN3cyY2dfMzZka20zcG1kbg&hl=en

saulstokes

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 12:35:45 AM »

Thanks so much for giving me the positive feedback needed to finish this project. This weekend it will go live. The link below is pretty much the final manual with sound samples added. Check them out. This thing is wild.  Figured it needed a virtual hardware representation. Of course it won't sit right but that's why it's virtual. Plus, wood on the lap would be nice.  Brooks and Mike, I'll be sending you a link to your download this weekend. Thanks again for taking a look at this.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcJ3A19PORKeZGdkN3cyY2dfMzZka20zcG1kbg&hl=en

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 10:29:43 PM »
So you are done beta testing it? My buddy (I was hoping) may have had time this weekend to look at it from a MAC perspective but if you're cool with everything else, good luck! I actually worked on some percussion stuff today and saved off a set to continue working on for Mired In Twilight.....but if you had a final one to test send me a link to my darkenedsoul@comcast.net email and I'll fire it up some time later this weekend (that's if you are not finalized, if not, cool on my end, hopefully my buddy will check out the initial one though for kicks).

Mike

Exuviae

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 05:42:34 AM »
Sure thing, Saul.

Hell - the library alone is worth the price of admission.