Author Topic: Record live sessions over internet with other people ?  (Read 3473 times)

Blackinfinity

Record live sessions over internet with other people ?
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:46:10 PM »
How does ambient music work to record live with other people over internet ? like with 2 people ?

I guess there will always be some kind of latency, but maybe with ambient music it gets less crucial...
My sound card have 0.7ms latency.

However I think it would be damn fun to record live session with other people and just improvise...
and see what comes out, is there any good software for that ?

I got 100 mbit connection so at least it cold work in theory to stream wav in real time... with people
in Scandinavia.

triksterb

• View Profile
Re: Record live sessions over internet with other people ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 03:46:35 AM »
Ableton Live 8 had a new feature called "Share" that was supposed to be like that, but from what I hear, it was so bug ridden and slow that Ableton had to shut down the servers for it so they could work on it, making people mad that a major feature that they paid for didn't work upon release.

For some reason, I can remember another piece of software that works like this, but I can't remember its name...  This is a cool idea, and one that I wanted to upgrade to Live 8 for, but, well, it doesn't work.

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:43:57 AM »
audio mulch?
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 10:16:17 AM »
Their have been a few attempts at this in the past. I even did some testing for one company that looked very promising, but they blew through their money before it was even close to a reality. I think the biggest one was something Steinberg was involved with (can't remember its name) but I think it slowly died as not enough people were interested enough to buy a subscription to the service.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 11:07:23 AM »
there is always http://ninjam.com/

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 08:00:53 AM »
Yes, Ninjam definitely works.  Stillstream once broadcasted an impromptu four-person live ambient concert.  Each member was in their own studio.  A very interesting experience to hear, and the results were surprisingly good.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Blackinfinity

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »
there is always http://ninjam.com/

The concept sounded interesting, then I read it uses OGG Vorbis, which is a kind of stone age compression algorithm.
The latest Lame versions are much better, and much less file size.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 12:34:01 PM »
I didi it with 2 others once some time ago for a track called Descent (over at soundclick and artistserver pages though). We basically sent a wave file to them for them to add to and then back when they were done, rinse and repeat.

As for Ableton Live, yes, I was participating somewhat in it with my buddy but they have closed it down for now and are re-evaluating when they are going to do or revamp the whole deal but it's specific to Ableton Live. But for collabing you can always do a wave file and swap it after zipping it up and loading into your trusty audio software and go from there.

Mike

Blackinfinity

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 05:07:36 PM »
To stream audio over internet in real time I think..will not be possible for a very long time unfortunately... unless you have very good and stable internet connection...but there still would be unwanted latency.

I think a way better solution would be if the involved people communicate through another protocol and only send midi signals to each other...or better protocols like some from the Euphonix etc.

This would work perfectly well if you use only software solutions, software synths etc... ..

You would need to have all software installed the the other people involved is using....bascially they will control
your software in your DAW from remote.  Using it this way you would be able to reach far far better latency then streaming audio.... this was just an idea... I think really this could work.

The latency would be your ping + the latency of your sound cards.

If all in the session have low latency cards like 1.5ms or lower, it would be quite possible to reach an acceptable latency of 5ms.

Of course...this will require quite good cpu, since yo will be using everything that the others are using in the session.
But with an Overclocked Core i7 I think it will be no problem.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:20:27 PM by Blackinfinity »

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 03:06:46 AM »
I've done quite a few live sessions over the internet using shoutcast radio software, it's only 128kbps mp3 and there are large delays but if you are doing non-rhythmic stuff it can work pretty well

and each end can record at higher quality for later re-combination if desired

Blackinfinity

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 02:40:53 PM »
I've done quite a few live sessions over the internet using shoutcast radio software, it's only 128kbps mp3 and there are large delays but if you are doing non-rhythmic stuff it can work pretty well

and each end can record at higher quality for later re-combination if desired

I think with an high end processor today it is not needed to stream the audio itself anymore, to stream only midi data should be a better, option.
Also there is a lot of software that is not very cpu intensive.

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 06:19:56 AM »
Streaming midi would be quicker but would be much more of a limitation for me, as I don't use soft synths and do a lot of realtime looping and sonic manipulation

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 08:49:24 PM »
Have a look at what Ohm is coming out with eventually. They are coming out with Ohm Studio (or something like that) and looks to be able to work collaboratively over the net. I use Live and don't plan on switching as I want to see what they do with their sharing option they scrapped (going to re-write it I guess).

Mike