Author Topic: Tranquillity (13th april 2010)  (Read 5174 times)

matthew

Tranquillity (13th april 2010)
« on: February 05, 2010, 09:44:15 AM »
Compiling all news regarding new music at posterous in this one thread (don't want to clutter the boards constantly)

As posted here (with working links)
http://matthewflorianz.posterous.com/

All individual posts are listed below, starting with the oldest first:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I would like to share with you some unreleased and alternate versions of tracks, background information, images and graphics. I hope these help create a little buzz and attention for my new album, which is still quite a far way off in the distance. If you are in any way able to help promote my work, I would welcome such efforts and thank you in advance for showing an interest and reading this.

Spiegels (mirrors) has a date creation of December 2006 and uses sounds and field recordings from the year prior. Many of the "source files" where later used in Spiegelend (reflective); one of my personal favourites, found on the album Maalbeek. There is a short clip of Spiegelend in the album link (maalbeek) below.

I choose not to remaster or fix this track (there are some minor clicks and pops and some noise) and simply present it as I found it while looking through my archive. In the process of creating Maalbeek, the length and somewhat ambiguous nature made this track unsuitable for the sequence. Schemer (dusk) was already equally tranquil and "ambient" in nature and at the time I felt using this track wouldn't add much new, concluding that another approach was needed. This became the track Spiegelend which shares many of the sounds and moods but is constructed differently, using loops and repetition and an altogether more layered approach.

Listening back to this I found it to be more interesting than I had remembered. A diverse journey through various moods and atmosphere's not unlike the cdr Jaren, which was created exclusive from unused materials by Darren Scott for the special edition release of Niemandsland.

links:
Spiegels Track

Maalbeek album tracks (previews)

Niemandsland album tracks (previews)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:14:37 PM by Matthew Florianz »

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Re: Spiegels
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 06:17:25 AM »

Listening to 'Spiegels' now Matthew - great track !

cheers
Pete

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
m

also enjoying very much...

and thanks for the ringtone
personal m float soundscape at the beep. :)

h

False Mirror

• View Profile
    • False Mirror
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 12:09:19 PM »
Spiegels is awesome, thanks a lot for posting that...

matthew

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 03:10:15 PM »
Hi, thanks for the kind remarks about this little "discarded" piece.

hjalmer, no guarantee you'll actually hear your phone going off from now on.

hjalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 10:52:43 AM »
m

works just fine

use my iphone sporadically,
so having the wife call more frequently when travelling,
just to hear the great music

thanks,      h

matthew

Re: Spiegels (updated feb. 12)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 08:28:52 AM »
Instead of creating another new thread for the next track, I figured it better to simply add it to this one:

Vuur (fire)

Vuur (fire) is similar to last weeks Spiegels in that it was made for, but not used on the album Maalbeek. Pieces and layers from this track where used by Darren Scott (like last weeks Spiegels) on the Jaren album; part of the special edition of Niemandsland. Vuur is a type of music I return to since GrijsGebied; variations on watching the star filed night sky pass overhead. It's been a long standing desire to make a "science fiction" album but whenever I start, I never manage to create much more than one piece. Always ending up creating something which starts, builds and stops again. I know my machines and pads, so it is quite easy to create the sound required but much harder trying to create something evolving, creatively interesting and refreshing for the duration of an album.

Although I admire the work and craftsmanship of Michael Stearns in this field it also seems that much like Eno's work on evolving patterns, there's little else to add except to repeat what they already "said". Unless I find a way to add something,  to make it personal so to speak, the dream of a "science fiction" album will remain just that. Confined to an occasional glance at the stars, before I retreat back into my familiar night-time forests.

Matthew

http://matthewflorianz.posterous.com/vuur-2#

(ps probably need to use the download link underneath the posterous player to download file)

False Mirror

• View Profile
    • False Mirror
Re: Spiegels (updated feb. 12)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 03:43:36 PM »
see your blog comments...  :)

matthew

sway
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 05:03:40 AM »
Another track has been added to the posterous page and again, instead of creating a new topic, I figured it best to add it to this one:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tranquillity Reigns/The Sweet Smell of Gasoline or as Darren Scott of H/S Recordings put it "a bit pretentious don't you think".

My work-in-progress titles often tend to be a bit towards the melodramatic. Commenced in 2003, this album never matured. I was unable to create a coherent "narrative" with all the music going in various directions. Some of it was droning, dark and brooding, other parts lighter and more melodic. Sway belongs to the latter and was to play as the album closure contrasting the droning proceedings and acting as an uplifting end. But even in the various different versions of the album coming together, it wasn't always used as a closure. Some versions didn't feature it at all and ended on a sombre note.

Darren Scott consequently used a lot of materials for this album on Jaren, the bonus cdr released with the special edition of Niemandsland. It wasn't until the album Niemandland (released 2006)  that all the ideas and underlying motivations which also fuelled the work from this unreleased album, did finally come together. It must have been confusing and turbulent times as the music I hear now, with some distance from when it was made, sounds more magical and enchanting than I had remember it to be. Removed from the narrative of a slightly depressed, misanthropic being that it then tried to convey.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

matthew

Re: lichtende wolken (updated feb. 26)
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 06:42:30 AM »
Taken from the posterous page (which has working links/player)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lichtende wolken much like the previously posted vuur is music created from, or perhaps even for, my fascination with the night sky. Made shortly after the tauern music ( published on http://www.myspace.com/matthewflorianz ) it also shares my ongoing experiments in rhythm and repeating patterns. All five pieces of music made in the beginning of 2009 (from which this piece; lichtende wolken is one) share elements of rhythm. Like previous efforts that I have listed here, I couldn't find a coherent narrative in the sequence and direction of the music written.

Lichtende wolken is the closest I ever came to making classic space music with the undulating synthesizers, grand chords and tangerine dream-esq sequencing. Of course, it's not in the same league as efforts made by the likes of Michael Stearns which adds another reason that it never became an album. As a stand alone piece however it's interesting and I hope you like it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: lichtende wolken (updated feb. 26)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 01:09:51 AM »
Hi Matthew,

Been enjoying your tracks posted to your posterous site, especially the more recent ones.  Your music has a nice ambiguous quality about it, not unlike Jason Sloan's.  Ordered Maalbeek and Electronic Forest and am looking forward to hearing them.

Regards,
Forrest

matthew

Re: piano en harmonium (updated march 7th)
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 02:20:15 PM »
Again, more details on the posterpous page:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Piano en harmonium is an older piece, written in december of 2002. I originally wrote it for a collaboration then moved it to the album three[/url], moved it again to the never releases Tranquillity Reigns and eventually tried to give it a place on Niemandsland. It was always used as a transition, portraying a calm and reflective mood. This never worked on any of the mentioned albums.

The music was recorded live in two takes (first the piano, then the harmonium) and mixed afterwards. Darren Scott used parts of it on the limited edition release of Jaren (Niemandsland special edition).

The video (
) has been lingering on my hard drive for a long time. Although one image always fascinated me, alone it wasn't enough of a narrative. Watching it again with piano en harmonium as an accompanying piece there was a relevance not considered before. The billowing smoke on the horizon, the church seemingly in the middle of it and the man who might be unaware to what is happening.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

matthew

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 02:32:31 PM »
Hello Forrest,

Thanks for the support it helps release the next album and is very much appreciated! 

Good to hear you like the released music, seems a better cause than gathering dust on a hard drive.
I am listening to your suggestion of Jason Sloan, on myspace.com. Liking the "space" in which he presents his music plays a lot. Gorgeous sounds.

Any specific suggestions?

Matthew

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »
Hi Matthew,

Of Sloan's earlier releases, I especially like "The Space Between Beginnings" and "The Shoreline of An End."  His later works are more varied and a little more noisy, though I like his 2008 release, "ending [light]," a double CDR that hints at his earlier style, but uses algorithmic software he developed.  Some of his earlier releases are available on eMusic.

Forrest

matthew

Re: westland (music and video) (updated march 15th)
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 01:47:49 PM »
Another track and accompanying video have been uploaded to the posterous account:

Hope you like it!

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 04:15:25 PM »
Thank you for pointing me towards your blog!  It sounds great!
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

matthew

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 05:50:27 AM »
Hi Cromag, thanks for taking the time to let me know. You can find more information through the hub at www.matthewflorianz.com

matthew

Re: 11_08 (6th april 2010)
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 12:36:33 PM »
New track is up at posterous (see first post for link).

A bit dark and sombre sounding, it was written for the to-be album 11. This piece was the 8th track I created, but I didn't even get to naming any of them. The album never came to be because I could never create a good sequence. Three years later there was Niemandsland which is an entirely different album and music, but it did come from a very similar place as this track.

matthew

Re: Tranquillity (13th april 2010)
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 02:16:22 PM »
An another track has been uploaded, hope to be able to announce something about the new album real soon... until that time...

Tranquillity is also from the never released 11th album. This music was to start it, dragging listeners into a web of slow evolving patterns and hypnotic repetition. It is dark in nature, the droning background, distortion and slight dissonance, a style and mood in writing I think not to have visited since. Having said that, the way in which Tranquillity is structured, is very similar to one of my personal favourite pieces of music, Spiegelend on Maalbeek, which is similarly hypnotic, but without the darker undertones.

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: Tranquillity (13th april 2010)
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 09:50:35 PM »
Re Tranquility--Very nice work, Matthew.  Have also been enjoying "Maalbeek" and your virtual release, "Tauern."

Forrest