Author Topic: New interview with Eno  (Read 5593 times)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
New interview with Eno
« on: January 20, 2010, 10:03:57 AM »
Here's a recent interview with ambient godfather and all around brilliant guy, Brian Eno.  Normally I'd post something along these lines in the "non-Hypnos artists and labels" area but this interview is about more subjects than just music.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jan/17/brian-eno-interview-paul-morley
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: New interview with Eno
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  Though I find myself disagreeing with much of what Eno has to say, I like the different perspective he brings to a topics as seemingly mundane as records and pop music.  Have to really take issue with him on the point about Steve Reich--Reich's 70s recordings were the pinnacle for me (both musically and production-wise), especially the DGG box that included Drumming, and his recordings for ECM such as Music for 18 Musicians.  Didn't care for the production on Reich's later recordings and re-recordings for Nonesuch, though.  Maybe Eno preferred Philip Glass' more souped-up production values, which included overdubbing of parts.  Was surprised to hear about Eno's indifference to vinyl, given his apparent interest in music and art that engages multiple senses.

Forrest

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:42:17 AM »

I found that to be a very interesting read, Eno's a one-off, in my view.

I'm not wild about some of his 'cultural theorising' but I think thats usually discussed in an 'arty' context - such as being interviewed by someone
like Paul Morley. I would imagine he could say a lot of interesting things on a lot of different levels.

I saw him on BBC's 'Question Time' recently where he took the (so-called) 'Justice Secretary' to task over a number of fibs.
Eno is a true thinker and I'd like to meet him for dinner and ask (amongst other things) why 'Neroli' was so crap :)

cheers
Pete

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 05:12:20 PM »
Here's a recent interview with ambient godfather and all around brilliant guy, Brian Eno.  Normally I'd post something along these lines in the "non-Hypnos artists and labels" area but this interview is about more subjects than just music.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jan/17/brian-eno-interview-paul-morley

Yes, this is one of the better ones. It's sad that it takes someone to be 30 years "past it", creatively, before they're given this much attention. I like his talking up of the Lib/Dems and *non* music/art subjects. 

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »

'Thursday Afternoon' came out in 1985 Mark, so 30 years is a bit out.

Am re-reading Eno's 'A year with swollen appendices' diary and even then (1986) there's a feeling that Eno was working too much and too disparately. There's a lot of times when he wishes he could be in his studio working on his own music, rather than producing the great and the good.

Saying that, at the age of him writing his diary (46), he had achieved an absolutely significant body of work.

cheers
Pete

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »

'Thursday Afternoon' came out in 1985 Mark, so 30 years is a bit out.

Am re-reading Eno's 'A year with swollen appendices' diary and even then (1986) there's a feeling that Eno was working too much and too disparately. There's a lot of times when he wishes he could be in his studio working on his own music, rather than producing the great and the good.

Saying that, at the age of him writing his diary (46), he had achieved an absolutely significant body of work.

Maybe a bit and I agree on the rest. But 46 is my age and I'd hate to feel my best work was behind me. Cy Twombly is inspiring on that front.

BTW it was '96 for the diary wasn't it?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:40:47 PM by Mark Mushet »

MarkM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 05:46:35 PM »
Thanks for the Eno link. It was a very good read.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »

Yes it was 1996, not 1986.

It's an interesting point you make Mark, I think most artists would like to see their best work before them, but I'm sure that some also realise that their best work was in the past - a certain release/time period that can't be repeated/recreated.

Strange thing when you think about it, the artists need to create. I used to work in the arts and saw a lot of highly motivated artists who had an almost religious zeal for their work. Most of them would never 'make it' but they were undeterred. They were in it 'for life', so to speak.

I don't know how relevant this is to ambient music, but I wonder who will be making ambient music in 5, 10 or 20 years on from now ?

cheers
Pete

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 01:41:52 PM »
[quote author=petekelly link=topic=2754.msg21972#msg21972 date=1266438153
I don't know how relevant this is to ambient music, but I wonder who will be making ambient music in 5, 10 or 20 years on from now?[/quote]

Well I love Another Day on Earth! I think Eno should just go pop and ditch Bono!
I picked photography, in art, because its a varied, lifetime pursuit.

Mind you, I just broke both arms in a cycling accident so that's making me think twice at the moment.