Author Topic: Projekt wants you to fight piracy!  (Read 2614 times)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Projekt wants you to fight piracy!
« on: February 15, 2010, 11:08:42 AM »
Sam sent this to me last week, maybe we can start a movement and make people aware the kind of damage they do to us artists when they choose to download, or at the very least make it more difficult for them to do so:

http://projekt.com/abuse.asp
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Re: Projekt wants you to fight piracy!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 11:21:22 AM »
It's a shame that artists need to take matters in their own hands to get results, but as the saying goes:  If you want something done, do it yourself.
I'll be sure to spread this link and info on my blog.  Thanks for the heads up, Loren.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »
Interesting.  Yeah, the piracy thing is really rampant especially for just about everything BUT ambient so we're all safe!  :D  In all seriousness though, it's worse than ever. 

Blackinfinity

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:06:12 PM »
When it comes to music and piracy (non-commercial)  I think it is a good thing, if you want to make money get a real job...You need way less money to produce music these days...
What you mainly need to invest in is "time", to buy your own studio or equipment is something everyone can do, even me are slowing saving up for my own studio... And this
year it might be reality.

In all seriousness, there is advantages and disadvantages in both sides of the spectrum, but I really do not see it is a "right"
for an artist to demand money for me to listen to their music, the music certainly want to be free.  But I on the other hand is from the younger
generation who grew up on this..and think it is just the most natural thing in the world... it seem the only people really complaining is the 70s generation or earlier generations.

However I am on the artists side aswell, I think there is solutions for the artists to get paid and be able to survive their music... But I think it is the states responsibility to take care of their citizens and to make a system that works for everyone. ....right now
the sytem does not work...I agree...let's see how the future will evolve.

Sunbreak Music

• View Profile
    • Sunbreak Music, High Resolution Stereo Mastering
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 07:47:30 PM »
But I think it is the states responsibility to take care of their citizens and to make a system that works for everyone. 

Man....did you ever lose me there.   ;D 

I'd walk away from it all if people were forced to subsidize me and my "art"........
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:29:47 PM »
I hate to say this but I will anyhow....in the old days (90's) I got burned a lot by Projekt Recording's, FAX, etc.....like I might of wasted somewhere around 10,000 to 15,000 thousand dollars in music..hard earned cash...simply because I bet on the label since no sound samples existed or they provided shit descriptions just to sell the music.  And i'm pretty sure that if I contacted the label and told them after maybe two weeks of listening to this shit disk if they would give the money back they would probably say no!  As did Fax recordings, Hypnotic, Soleilmoon, and trust me this list goes on(as a matter of fact many of these labels never contacted me after my initial querry...why then as the customer do I have to eat the cost if you sold me shit product....I get a shit pizza (make me another or my money back)....I buy a shit book (exchange or get my money back within the return window) as would be done with other products on the market. Personally ever since these blogs sprang up all over the web...they are like discount coupons and they give me access to the whole album so that I can personally evaluate my investment.  It sucks that people take advantage of the artists music but on the other hand it sucks that labels take advantage of the customer.  I also worked for record stores and distribution centers so I know how these things operate and I know why I can't return an opened item.  But in the end these pirates (the ambient and experiemntal one's) have been beneficial to me and have made me a very happy customer.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:25:46 PM »
The problem with a returns policy, at least when it comes to CDs, is that some will abuse it by simply making a digital copy.  Also, I don't see how you compensate a label for having opened up the CD and returned it.  Yeah, I've wasting money buying CDs (and albums) that I ultimately didn't like, but that's why I would check for reviews or hear what my friends thought of new releases.  Re the "music wants to be free" strain, there seems almost a naivete about the concept that ignores the economic realities of releasing a visually and aurally interesting album that people would want to keep.

Forrest

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:47:33 PM »
Perhaps i'm just bitter and a little harsh but I did have a collection of frisbees from projekt records that I could not even get trade in value at used music stores (remember those)...and I was also the one behind the counter that would get heat from some customers as to crap music...which then I would say "Sorry but nothing I can do once the product is opened"....which then the customer got frustrated and you know the rest...

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 06:29:23 AM »
Getting burned by artists/labels from purchasing a disc of awful music (to your ears) isn't really an excuse anymore.  For the most part, free samples are going to be readily available either on sites like amazon. Or in the case of ambient music, directly on the artist's website.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 12:05:38 PM »
I'm more convinced than ever that there is an increasing generational divide between those who are capable of understanding and respecting the creative economy and those whose sense of entitlement and ignorance beggars belief.

Those who go on about music wanting to be free should apply that to every other aspect of their lives and see how quickly the well runs dry.

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 01:16:58 PM »
To make myself clear the only point I wanted to make is that ever since these blogs surfaced I found that my music collection has grown.  If anything these blogs have encouraged my spending not the other way around.  In the past I would always buy with trepidation...now I buy with confidence.  In the 90's (92-98) ambient rescources and quality music samples were scarce...understandably even though the customer would get penalized for making a bad purchase....now we have a different scenario altogether...one which no matter what the circumstances are people are going to be pist and unhappy.  My attack on Projekt records was unjust....if anything this label has been crucial towards the evolution of ambient music...but until this day whenever I buy anything from Projekt records I wince when I press the buy button....

fern

Blackinfinity

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 02:54:43 PM »
I'm more convinced than ever that there is an increasing generational divide between those who are capable of understanding and respecting the creative economy and those whose sense of entitlement and ignorance beggars belief.

Those who go on about music wanting to be free should apply that to every other aspect of their lives and see how quickly the well runs dry.

It is not like the only one who benefit for file sharing is the listeners, the artists themselves benefit from it too!
Cause they are most likely music listerns too an individual degree...file sharing do not only save them money that can be used to sustain their own art...
it can also bring them new inspiration to create something new..something they never would ever found if it wasn't for file sharing and free music...as I see it both artists and listeners benefit from this generous and giving attitude of "sharing". Also our environment does benefit from it too... (if any one cares about that). I also strongly thing that artists make better music when they make it independently and when not money is on their mind.

if all music should be bought with your hard earned money... you would not have the possibility to
go through the whole ocean of music out there... As I see it...the only way to go through this ocean of music is file sharing... The availability is not the problem...
almost every album recorded is available on Soulseek, the main problem as I have is the "time", I simply do not have the time to listen to all the music,  I can have the time to skim through an album for about two minutes, depending on the genre, but I hear quite instantly if this music is substantial for my ears. If it wasn't for file sharing I wouldn't have heard much music for sure...

I have the habit to write down and rate all music I listen to to remember all music I have been listening to, about of all 18 000 albums during my lifetime have been listening too, I have bought about 300 albums, this is music that I can't live without.  Before file sharing I did just as Ferngerms get burned a lot...bought a lot of "crap" music...that does not deserve the space..
This is usually music that I have rated very high and that I really think deserve a place in my shelf.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:00:16 PM by Blackinfinity »

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 03:43:07 PM »
All I can say is that the world needs more discernment aka: the faculty of discerning; discrimination; acuteness of judgment and understanding.