Author Topic: Alesis Andromeda----Worth the Effort???  (Read 4452 times)

Kendall Station

• View Profile
Alesis Andromeda----Worth the Effort???
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:41:31 AM »

I got some cash and there's an Andromeda in my town for sale for 1700. 

I've been checking these guys out for awhile, but I'm also of the school where its better to have a limited synth you know back and forth than a monster you can't tame.

Thoughts? Experiences?

\

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Alesis Andromeda----Worth the Effort???
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 05:44:53 PM »
I loved it when I played it in a store, georgeous sound ... alas was too expensive back then.

Jesse/Numina has one ... maybe he will see this post as have something to say.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »
Honestly for around the same price...give or take $300 I would get a Prohpet 8 instead.

Jut my opinion...

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 10:52:27 AM »
I haven't played with one myself, but I know that was Dave Fulton's primary instrument around the time of our Imprint album, and it sounded very good.  Of course, it was a $3000 instrument back then.

And I think Jesse/Numina is very fond of his.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 04:49:18 PM »
I've been checking these guys out for awhile, but I'm also of the school where its better to have a limited synth you know back and forth than a monster you can't tame.

Not sure what you mean here, you want something simple over complex is that what you mean?

As for the Andromeda it didn't really do much for me but then again I already have similar synths in my studio and haven't lusted after a big poly analog synth for a long time now. It does have plenty of fans though. I say go check it out and see if you like it.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 09:58:41 PM »
$1700 sounds like a pretty good price. I agree with Loren, though, go check it out. I had one on order when Alesis went bankrupt. I really wanted it bad. I was in the music store at least once a week playing with the demo and waiting for mine to arrive. Unfortunately, I got nervous about the long delay and the bankruptcy situation and got my money back. I've always regretted that. I'm thinking about trying to acquire one again. Although, the prophet 08 may be the way to go. I haven't played one and I'm not sure a polysynth is what I need. I have plenty of gear, I just can't seem to finish anything, but that's another story. Bottom line is, no one can tell you what to do. Try it and go with the Force ;D .     Harry 
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.