Author Topic: Alesis Andromeda----Worth the Effort???  (Read 5589 times)

Kendall Station

• View Profile
Alesis Andromeda----Worth the Effort???
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:41:31 AM »

I got some cash and there's an Andromeda in my town for sale for 1700. 

I've been checking these guys out for awhile, but I'm also of the school where its better to have a limited synth you know back and forth than a monster you can't tame.

Thoughts? Experiences?

\

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Alesis Andromeda----Worth the Effort???
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 05:44:53 PM »
I loved it when I played it in a store, georgeous sound ... alas was too expensive back then.

Jesse/Numina has one ... maybe he will see this post as have something to say.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »
Honestly for around the same price...give or take $300 I would get a Prohpet 8 instead.

Jut my opinion...

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 10:52:27 AM »
I haven't played with one myself, but I know that was Dave Fulton's primary instrument around the time of our Imprint album, and it sounded very good.  Of course, it was a $3000 instrument back then.

And I think Jesse/Numina is very fond of his.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 04:49:18 PM »
I've been checking these guys out for awhile, but I'm also of the school where its better to have a limited synth you know back and forth than a monster you can't tame.

Not sure what you mean here, you want something simple over complex is that what you mean?

As for the Andromeda it didn't really do much for me but then again I already have similar synths in my studio and haven't lusted after a big poly analog synth for a long time now. It does have plenty of fans though. I say go check it out and see if you like it.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 09:58:41 PM »
$1700 sounds like a pretty good price. I agree with Loren, though, go check it out. I had one on order when Alesis went bankrupt. I really wanted it bad. I was in the music store at least once a week playing with the demo and waiting for mine to arrive. Unfortunately, I got nervous about the long delay and the bankruptcy situation and got my money back. I've always regretted that. I'm thinking about trying to acquire one again. Although, the prophet 08 may be the way to go. I haven't played one and I'm not sure a polysynth is what I need. I have plenty of gear, I just can't seem to finish anything, but that's another story. Bottom line is, no one can tell you what to do. Try it and go with the Force ;D .     Harry 
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 02:58:12 PM »
Wow 1700...

I know a guy in my town selling his for 3000 euros...

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 07:00:14 AM »
the Andromeda is not for any one.. it has a certain sound if you really like it realize you will not get that type of sound any where else fork out the cash.. I guess the price will only increase..since Alesis seem to have no intentions of releasing it again.. TO get the best idea how the andromeda sound get the later phase of syndromeda album from 2008 and forward he use the andromeda a lot and there is a no problem to hear when the it is the andromeda in the music since it has a quite special sound..

Time traveller
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:02:17 AM by Ekstasis »

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 07:32:13 AM »
I'm thinking of buying it, also because it's a special version with a custom panel made by Axel Hartmann, it will certainly increase more it's value than the regular one:

He was also selling the Waldorf Q but I got another deal involving a dark blue full rack for half the price:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:37:32 AM by Crossing_The_Threshold »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 07:36:55 AM »
I'm thinking of buying it, also because it's a special version made with a custom panel made by Axel Hartmann:

I think it's a better investment than the regular one:

If you really like the sound go for it..it is really good for ambient music..and if you use external effect processing the horizon is quite endless.. if you use the internal effects which is btw good you will have the typical "A6" sound.

This gives me an orgasm..

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 07:42:58 AM »
The panel is the same (function wise) but it has a dark blue design instead the techno rave silver shit design of the regular one :)

Check the photo it's the one he's selling.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:44:56 AM by Crossing_The_Threshold »

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 07:46:55 AM »
Yes, there are about 4 or 5 with that panel in the world, it was a prototype panel, that Alesis declined, this one doesn't have that moog layout, it's horizontal.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 08:07:33 AM »
The panel is the same (function wise) but it has a dark blue design instead the techno rave silver shit design of the regular one :)

Check the photo it's the one he's selling.

I agree with you, the dark blue looks a lot better..
I would say it is a safe investment it would be no problem to get the money back or more if you want to sell it or does not meet your expectations.

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 08:38:31 AM »
Now you got me thinking how much money would it take to mod the andromeda to the moog layout, I can quote a synth technician here. I think he can do it if I provide the wood parts.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 11:02:52 AM »
maybe about 675 dollars is reasonable ? you can maybe find some handy friend who can do it a lot cheaper, it is not really a very complex engagement from what I understand. You just need to get the dimensions correct and that is it. and you need some wood material and lack finish.
it is a days job..  but if you know what are doing it should be a few hours job.
It is the grind and make the wood finish that will take time. And make some cover for the circuit board.
However the second hand value will jump of the roof so again it is a safe investment you will get the money back many times... cause your synth will suddenly get even more rare (mod). 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:07:35 AM by Ekstasis »

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 12:23:53 PM »
Yeah 500 euros should do it for a proper job.

I found this WIP picture from the guy that modded his andromeda:

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »
And another one:

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »
Note - The angular mod looks great for the studio but will make a hard-to-transport instrument even-harder-to-transport if you plan to gig with it. A fellow used to bring a regular one to play at the PiNG sometimes and it was always a tricky logistical matter for him because it's large and heavy. Probably better than a CS-80 though!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 07:02:26 AM »
Note - The angular mod looks great for the studio but will make a hard-to-transport instrument even-harder-to-transport if you plan to gig with it. A fellow used to bring a regular one to play at the PiNG sometimes and it was always a tricky logistical matter for him because it's large and heavy. Probably better than a CS-80 though!

I think this is an an compromise he is willing to take to get this moog style A6 monster!
I wish more synths was released in this moog style format..it just look so good and inspiring.. also
 a lot more comfortable to use the knobs when they are in this format you do not have to tilt you head so much down.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 04:44:41 AM »
I got my Andromeda in 2006 and sold it last year......I created many amazing patches on the synth over the years, yet most of them were hard come by.  My relationship with the Andromeda was very much a love hate thing which was based on the user interface not the sound.  The Andromeda, for me, was not enjoyable to program.    As to the type of sound....it has the Moog and Oberheim style filters but those are names and do little to suggest the sonic capabilities of this synth and actually sounds nothing like either of those.  It has a unique voice of its own....ok 16 voices and though I was often at odds with the Andromeda it was definitely "Worth the Effort"
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:06:42 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »