Author Topic: Robert Rich: Ylang  (Read 4378 times)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
Robert Rich: Ylang
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:18:06 PM »
This release definitely deserves its own post. Ylang has been running repeatedly in my stereo since Friday afternoon and I just wanted to hear if others are as excited about it as I am. I'd first have to admit that my devotion to Rich's work was flagging a bit in the past couple of years. Interest in albums like Electric Ladder, Eleven Questions, and the collaborations with Boddy just wasn't sustained for me. The quality was there of course, but I just wasn't feeling any kind of emotional connection to the music. Ylang seems to pull in what Rich has been doing in recent years and ensoul it with the kind of lifeblood that is in Temple of the Invisible, probably the most masterful Robert Rich album so far. At least since this new album. Ylang is just about everything a fan of music could want. A more detailed review will be written soon...

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
Re: Robert Rich: Ylang
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:19:52 PM »
I totally agree! My favorite ambient CD in years!
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:41:35 AM »
This might well be the most beautiful collection of new pieces of music I've heard in a long time. I'm so glad that Robert Rich takes time over each release - it pays off when the results are this distilled and detailed. I've been a bit disappointed in a few new ambient/electronic releases by other artists in the last couple of months, so it's so relieving and exciting to discover that Robert Rich's latest is something of a masterpiece. You can hear there is blood and sweat put into his music, as well as inspiration.    
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:43:50 AM by Robert Logan »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:03:27 PM »
I've been disappointed in the last few R. Rich releases, so this album is definitely a welcome addition.  ;D

triksterb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:55:38 PM »
Haven't gotten it yet, but I listened to the samples on CDBaby and it sounds great.  I especially like the background sounds in Attar and Tamarack.

I've heard the album is like Seven Veils and Temple of the Invisible.  I really like TOTI, but SV not as much, but this one sounds to be as great as TOTI.  Can't wait to order it.

Blackinfinity

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:47:35 PM »
The samples on cd baby sounds good..but I prefer his more abstract music... Illumination I think is really good...of his later albums...same with music for atlas...

triksterb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:21:22 PM »
Yeah I wish he would make more like Inner Landscapes where it gets really quiet at parts and you have to reach for the volume to raise it up, and the same goes for Calling Down The Sky.  And even though it's a rhythmic album, Temple of the Invisible has those quiet parts, too like the middle of (I think) Fasanina where it's just a ringing sound and the vocalist.  I hope Ylang has some of those moments, too.

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 05:03:15 AM »
Ylang is a bit a short on such moments. I too am yearning for more of that side of Robert Rich.

But, having accepted what Ylang is and what it is not, I think it is a great release. Hopefully his next one will explore those darker, more abstract territories.

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 04:05:27 AM »
Ylang is definitely more musically and rythmically structured than what could be called ambient. But it is unique in having an immense ambient sense in its background and foundation. This album will make you feel like you've been on a wonderful and extended journey though. I do hope for some more formless work in future Rich albums, but I am enjoying this for the masterful work that it is. So few, if any, albums like this are coming out these days. In fact, this album reminds me of Soma, the collaboration between Rich and Roach. It reminds me how well an ambient style album benefits from having outside voices to contribute. We need more of this type of collaborative effort, it brings out the best in all artists involved.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 08:51:57 AM »
Joseph, I agree, Robert has a special ear for bringing together musicians from different backgrounds and finding interesting points of intersection.  It's almost a progressive sound, in the positive sense of the word.  (Glad you liked my brief solo, too:))  It can refreshing to hear music that has been "played," instead of "laptopped."

Forrest

False Mirror

• View Profile
    • False Mirror
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 04:12:34 PM »
I finally got to listen to Ylang. My opinion is somewhat ambiguous:
One the one hand it's a very elaborate album, very musical, very nice. I especially love the guitar like in Verbena or the Violin in First Rain (very well done, Forrest!).
On the other hand, I just prefer a more drone-based sound like in Trances/Drones, Zerkalo, Somnium, etc. Ylang is almost too much music for my taste, but nevertheless it's a great album and I'm pretty sure I will listen to it again.
Now it's time for Trances/Drones while drifting towards sleep.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 04:14:27 PM »
We received some of these for the Hypnos store, BTW... $13.99 here:

http://hypnos.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=rich13
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Blackinfinity

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 04:36:14 PM »
I finally got to listen to Ylang. My opinion is somewhat ambiguous:
One the one hand it's a very elaborate album, very musical, very nice. I especially love the guitar like in Verbena or the Violin in First Rain (very well done, Forrest!).
On the other hand, I just prefer a more drone-based sound like in Trances/Drones, Zerkalo, Somnium, etc. Ylang is almost too much music for my taste, but nevertheless it's a great album and I'm pretty sure I will listen to it again.
Now it's time for Trances/Drones while drifting towards sleep.

+1

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 12:36:52 AM »
I've been listening to Ylang everyday since I received it, and my appreciation for it is great. I can agree that I wish Robert would indulge in deeper ambient works, but comparing this album to his drone based work doesn't really make sense. This album is absolutely great, I would say a classic, on its own. I do hope Robert's next album is a completely far out droney piece, but that in no way diminishes my enjoyment of this work. This kind of sound is rare these days, something so elaborate and indeed so musical, so well made. There is plenty of drone out there, but not enough albums like Ylang.

Robert Logan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 03:42:57 AM »
It's strange, this album has grown "off" me somewhat, after the initial excitement of getting it in the post and playing it for the first time. Tracks like 'Ambergris', 'Verbena', 'Vetiver' and 'First Rain' are still enjoyable to me - especially that last track. But there are tracks (like 'Kalyani' or 'Charukesi') which simply sound like the average sort of music you'd hear in a competently played, well produced 'World' music album (I don't like the term either!) I've got lots of CDs which document, or are inspired by, the traditional music of various countries, and I was hoping for a little more of Robert's unusual magic in those moments.

Then the others sit in a strange half-way point between ambient music and something more traditionally musical or active, but don't quite hit the sweet spot either way for me. I can neither escape into their infinite depths as can be done on 'Somnium' or the best tribal ambient pieces, nor is there enough going on in the foreground for the brain to appreciate it in the same way you might enjoy your favorite non-ambient records.

I would say I'll listen to it more and see if it grows on me, but since the opposite is happening as I listen to it, I think it'd be best to leave it a while and see how it works in a different mood. 

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 08:32:12 AM »
Have a had a chance to listen to this a few times now.  Though it is not in the style of Robert's music that I generally prefer, I like it.  I would agree with Robert above about some of the world music elements.  I enjoy the vast majority, but, for me, the singing just rips me right out of the tranced-out mood the rest of the record has.  It's a little corny and overdone to my ears.  Other than that, I think this is another fine addition to the Rich catalog.  While I doubt it'll get as much play as other works like Fissures, it's certainly a CD I've played repeatedly and enjoyed over the last few weeks.

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 05:26:39 PM »
Just ordered.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 03:43:23 AM »
Enjoyed this! To me it had a nice, open quality-- almost a "jam-like" quality, that helped it out a lot.

It was looser, and less crystalline, than some other Rich stuff. Cool.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

solyaris

• http://solyaris.altervista.org
    • View Profile
    • http://solyaris.altervista.org
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 10:05:12 AM »
It happen a bad thing always I listen clips on cdbaby: I listen for few moments afterward I return to music I was listening before ...
it seem there is not that mystery in this new music that capture my mind, as indeed happened for years when listening Trances/Drones, this last remain my preferred Robert's masterwork.

Also just today I was relistening with disappointment Electric Ladder: too much quality of sound, but a lack of mistery (beat or beatless apart) ...
And listening these clips seem Robert surf on the surface of soul, maintaining hisself far from his deep investigation of mind and posstible portal passing ... why this almost "pop-music" drift ?

Tha't strange, I loved so much his music for many years and I retain him one of my "virtual" masters (not only neacuse his instrumenatal creativity; I mean the reinvention of sound of lap-steel guitar), but I feel in recent years he didn't do the "step-forward" I was wish... it seem to me that there is not an exploration of new (also sonic) ways in this music.

I know, in art not everbody start with a seed and spire along years ... but after listening the miracolous Trance/Drones I believed this artist could generate a superior beauty afterward ...

Indeed, is inevitable for me compare him with his friend (and desertic counter-party), great Steve Roach, this last, despite his real excess of production and a bit of cunning... appear continuing his explorations of the motionless infinite...
Now, relistening some of his recent works, I feel a great evolution and all in all I feel Steve is the only shaman I acknowledge in the ambient music realm ...

So I guess Robert could return to his collaboration with Steve ...
They togheter realized magnificient gems years ago!

Yes, I just listened clips and probably after listening the full album, I'll turn upside-down my thought, and I'll apologize...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:10:02 AM by solyaris »