Author Topic: [Chamber Music Ambient] False Mirror & The EMU Ensemble - Calling The Sky  (Read 1596 times)

False Mirror

• View Profile
    • False Mirror
Hi.
I'm member of an experimental music group called EMU. We often have improvised sessions and (what is no doubt result of my membership) getting more towards ambient from time to time.
Here's my post-production of a session we had in December. It was raining cats and dogs outside and the music had some really shamanic/ritual character so I called it 'calling the sky'.

http://www.falsemirror.de/uploads/calling_the_sky.mp3

musicians:
Andhi Pabst - Ballastsaite
Axel Baune - Ballastsaite
Christine Söffing - Ballastsaite
Dieter Trüstedt - Windharfe, Ballastsaite, effects
Isolde Werner - voice
Klaus Schmidtke - voice, recording
Tobias Hornberger - synthesizers, effects, field recording, post-production

Ballastsaite is a custom-built string instrument, it consists of a drum or any other resonant body (in this track we had 2 with drums and two with large metal canisters). The resonant body is hanging from a tripod and a violin string is mounted on the lower part of it, weight down by heavy pieces of metal. The Ballastsaite is played with violin bows.

Windharfe is a custom-built drone instrument, an electric harp that is mounted on a huge mast outside the Musisches Zentrum. There will be a 24/7 live-stream for the Windharfe very soon (probably next Friday).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 01:54:07 PM by False Mirror »

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: [Chamber Music Ambient] False Mirror & The EMU Ensemble - Calling The Sky
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:34:26 AM »
Hey, this sounds very cool.  I'll be sure to check it out.  Have you heard of Ellen Fullman, Harry Bertoia or Robert Rutman?  They done some very interesting work with experimental bowed string instruments, too.

Forrest

False Mirror

• View Profile
    • False Mirror
Re: [Chamber Music Ambient] False Mirror & The EMU Ensemble - Calling The Sky
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:17:37 PM »
Thx! Never heard of them, but need to check it out...