Author Topic: Best Midi Keyboard Controller for cubase 9  (Read 1147 times)

JohnnyRocket

• View Profile
Best Midi Keyboard Controller for cubase 9
« on: December 16, 2016, 11:23:44 AM »
OK, so prepare yourself this is a total rookie question. I have Cubase 9 and I'm looking to get omnisphere. I would like to get a universal midi controller with lots of slider and/or knobs for controlling the midi in Cubase,Ominsphere and possibly other programs.

I'm not sure how it all works. I don't want to buy a controller and then find out it doens't work for half of my programs.   I've seen some midi keyboard controllers that seem to be dedicated to one program  like THE KOMPLETE INSTRUMENT. 

I actually liked the THE KOMPLETE INSTRUMENT, but don't really plan on getting the program or using it.  I wonder if it will work universally for other programs.  The reason I like it was because of the keyboard feel.  I liked Novation Keyboard, because it has a lot of controls, but they keyboard also felt like a toy.  Please share any input you think will be constructively helpful.

My Main Focus Is:

* A midi controller keyboard with lots of controlling slider, knobs, etc..
* A midi controller keyboard that works with Cubase, Omnisphere and is universal maping   with all plugin and other programs. I don't want to have to get two keyboard
* Last, which I can actually do with out is a a good feeling keyboard.  I have a 88 note Yamah keyboard I can use if I need to feel of a real keyboard, so I could sacrafice a good feeling keyboard.  I do have one thought though if the keys feel like crap would that lead to less control of subtly.  I mainly want to get a 49 key controller for composing amibent and eitherical music.  I could do without a good feeling keyboard.

Thanks,
Johnny

phobos

• Its still dark, even with the light on
    • View Profile
Re: Best Midi Keyboard Controller for cubase 9
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 12:56:42 PM »
The Komplete Kontrol keyboards will work with anything, they are optimised to work with NKS/Komplete instruments but not exclusively. Ridiculously expensive though!
Failing that pick yourself up a second hand Novation SL MK1 or MK2, but don't use automap, just make your own templates. these are their older controllers so should be able to pick one up at a reasonable price.  ;)
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobosdrones.wixsite.com/phobos
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: Best Midi Keyboard Controller for cubase 9
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 12:16:54 AM »
The Komplete Kontrol keyboards will work with anything, they are optimised to work with NKS/Komplete instruments but not exclusively. Ridiculously expensive though!
Failing that pick yourself up a second hand Novation SL MK1 or MK2, but don't use automap, just make your own templates. these are their older controllers so should be able to pick one up at a reasonable price.  ;)

I'll second the rec for a second hand Novation SL and avoiding Automap. They have sticks instead of wheels and the xy pad is not stellar (tho handy anyway) but they have lots of knobs/sliders and readouts ( in mk1). USB plus full MIDI with 2 outs.