Author Topic: Hypnos Forum Weight-Loss Challenge 2010  (Read 11218 times)

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Hypnos Forum Weight-Loss Challenge 2010
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 03:28:40 PM »
Well I'm with the need for more weight - always been slim - even when I did tree surgery and was as fit and strong as F**K (amazing what swinging around trees with heavy chainsaws can achieve) I was 8 1/2 stone - mainly sinew connected by steel....

I am 5' 8" and up to 9 stone and feel OK, mainly through hard eating of 2 meals a day - good canteen food at work and then another meal in the evening, usually cooked by me....all this eating is wearing me out.... ;D

I don't want to put any more weight on at the moment, I think it would just add flab that would look silly on me and would take too much energy to turn into muscle.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 04:20:43 AM »
If you need to look up the nutrients in a food - this site is really good:

http://www.nutritiondata.com
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 06:32:36 AM »
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 05:15:11 PM »
I was feeling pretty good this morning when I weighed myself and found that I had lost 2 lbs. since we started this topic. So what did I do today but go out and have a chicken parmagiana sub for lunch! :-[ The Horror!!!
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 07:09:07 AM »
It's a win or loose situation. ;D

I was doing fine.  I thought this week would be a good one to start on a diet.  My wife went to a training in Orlando for the week, so it was me and my mother-in-law at home.  While doing the weekend shopping, I told my wife I wasn't going to buy much.  Sunday, the mum in law makes a big dish of pork chops and sauerkraut.  Lasts me three days.  On top of that, Monday she makes a bigger pan of stuffed cabbage.  Me thinks there is a conspiracy at hand, but it sure tastes good.

BTW, how many calories are in a glass of Jameson? 8)

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 12:42:39 PM »

BTW, how many calories are in a glass of Jameson? 8)
Same as in a bottle of Shiner Bohemian Black Lager. But, luckily for us they don't count. ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:04:08 PM by hdibrell »

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 02:06:31 PM »
Wayne, you'd be totally fine eating everything you listed if you just decided to go low carb for awhile!  ;)
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 05:59:17 AM »
Hey all,

I may be borderline diabetic, my cholesterol was way through the roof and triglycerides were horrendous (much worse than I expected) so now my meds are upped for one and I am working on watching what I eat and how much.

But being single = cooking for one is a pita. Meaning I cook a box of pasta and a jar of sauce and eat it for like 4-5 days. BUT I am trying to eat tuna fish/chicken sandwiches for lunch, pasta at night (doing the wheat pasta now) and I use whole wheat/stoneground wheat for awhile now. Hardly do whitebreads unless it's italian restaurant meal. I also have been drinking 1% milk for ages and switched to sugar free frozen sweets and fat free frozen yogurt. The other things I am trying to do more of (than before) is fruit and salads (baby spinach) and I do so badly need to get back to exercising. I'm up at least 8-10 lbs from about 5 months ago.

As for soda intake I used to do 1 can a day with my sandwich lunch. Still trying to stick to that adage but I had been drinking a lot more ginger ales recently during the day (sometimes 3-4....). Also trying to get back to drinking more water = less hungry and better for you. It's not an easy thing and harder IMHO being single trying to cook smaller meals and vary things so you don't get bored/eat too much of same things lol.

And for obesity in this country IMHO partly parents fault letting kids eat junk food too much and not enough exercise and adults portion control. Moderation to me is key in a lot of this. Just my opinion of course.

Mike

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 10:20:03 AM »
Moderation is the key. Cooking for one or two is difficult. I do all of the cooking at my house and I don't get home from work until 7:45 or 8:00 p.m. I try to keep us on a decent diet, but all to often it is just too easy to pick up something on the way home. The things I pick up aren't always the best choices. It is a struggle, but it is also worth the struggle. I'm going away for the weekend to see my mom, so it will be restaurants and a barbecue at my brother's. It will be fun, but eating right will be difficult.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 11:11:02 AM »

I may be borderline diabetic, my cholesterol was way through the roof and triglycerides were horrendous (much worse than I expected) so now my meds are upped for one and I am working on watching what I eat and how much.

It's not an easy thing and harder IMHO being single trying to cook smaller meals and vary things so you don't get bored/eat too much of same things lol.
Hey Mike,  Something you might want to try is getting a food steamer. I've got an Oster which is pretty good. I can cook rice, veggies and a fish filet or chicken breast at the same time and it's really easy. It's also healthy and by getting creative with seasonings, it's really good.

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 01:59:49 PM »
I miss my steamer. My sister got me one a few years ago and I used it until it died.

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 03:05:19 PM »
My daughter just bought a bamboo steamer at a local Asian food market.  We haven't given it a test ride, yet.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 04:34:22 PM »
I've been doing good for the past 10 days.  Drinking a lot of water, green tea, diet ice tea, skim milk are the only beverages.  5 small meals per day, walking, stationary bike, weights. Had one really rough day at work and came home and, since I'm off the cigarettes now, I "stress comforted" myself with French Bread pizza, a 16 oz. Coke, and a whole box of See's peanut brittle (felt pretty sick afterwards, too).  A temporary slip up, but I didn't quit my program.  I need to lose at least 50, but ideally 60-65 lbs.  My motivation is seeing my big gut and pudgy face in the mirror.  I think after I quit smoking I sort of "woke up" to how badly out of shape I'd become.  Losing weight takes patience and persistence, at least in my experience.  Very helpful to post on this thread as a kind of "online diary."  Hope we can keep it going for awhile.  :)

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 11:24:21 AM »
I've been doing good for the past 10 days.  Drinking a lot of water, green tea, diet ice tea, skim milk are the only beverages.  5 small meals per day, walking, stationary bike, weights. Had one really rough day at work and came home and, since I'm off the cigarettes now, I "stress comforted" myself with French Bread pizza, a 16 oz. Coke, and a whole box of See's peanut brittle (felt pretty sick afterwards, too).  A temporary slip up, but I didn't quit my program.  I need to lose at least 50, but ideally 60-65 lbs.  My motivation is seeing my big gut and pudgy face in the mirror.  I think after I quit smoking I sort of "woke up" to how badly out of shape I'd become.  Losing weight takes patience and persistence, at least in my experience.  Very helpful to post on this thread as a kind of "online diary."  Hope we can keep it going for awhile.  :)

Awesome job, Drone On- WTG!!!  :)

And don't worry about the occasional slip-up, we ALL have them from time-to-time. The very most important thing is not to let it throw you off track entirely- just get right back on your plan again, starting the very next morning!

Mike & I eat "lean & green" dinners six nights per week, (I lifted that from a Medifast commercial ;D ), but one night a week we get to have whatever we want for a treat dinner. "Lean & green" would be like either a grilled chicken breast & broccoli, salmon & brussels sprouts, salad with a salmon burger chopped up on top, chicken & veggie stir fry, turkey burger (no bun) with cabbage slaw, etc. I feel really GREAT eating this way, plus I don't feel deprived because I know that I get to have whatever I want for one meal a week, (and that includes carby stuff like bread & pasta AND something sweet.)

Moderation is the key.

This is very true- portion control is hugely important, (especially as you get older & less active- your bod just doesn't need the calories it did when you were younger.) I had a tough time at first making my dinners smaller & not having any "seconds." It's fine now that I'm used to it, though, (I actually don't ever even make enough food for second helpings anymore.)

Starting P90X really soon, (I am VERY EXCITE!)  ;D

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 12:42:30 PM »
I'm working on losing 20#'s, and getting back into road-biking shape.  I was doing good, too, until those damn girl scouts talked me into three boxes of Thin Mints.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 02:06:26 PM »
I'm working on losing 20#'s, and getting back into road-biking shape.  I was doing good, too, until those damn girl scouts talked me into three boxes of Thin Mints.
Damn them!! They got me , too. :-[

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 02:09:54 PM »
I have one living at home with me!

Curse those Thin Mints and their handy, single-serving sized boxes!!!  ;)
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 02:14:21 PM »
Yeah, my wife always pokes fun at my belly, and then comes home with Somoas!

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2010, 02:16:30 PM »

Moderation is the key.

This is very true- portion control is hugely important, (especially as you get older & less active- your bod just doesn't need the calories it did when you were younger.) I had a tough time at first making my dinners smaller & not having any "seconds." It's fine now that I'm used to it, though, (I actually don't ever even make enough food for second helpings anymore.)

Portion control is a great way to diet. Kathy and I like to have a steak every now and again on Sunday evening. We now split a 10 oz. ribeye and a baked potato with a full serving of steamed asparagus. It looked kind of funny at first on our plates, but I'm satisfied after I have eaten it and don't feel like I need more. I think a lot of us feel we have to eat everything on our plate. So we fill the plate up and eat it all and then feel stuffed for quite awhile.

lena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 04:25:26 PM »
I was doing good, too, until those damn girl scouts talked me into three boxes of Thin Mints.

Ha ha! Oh, no way- they can't get Mike & me with their enticing displays & little puppy dog eyes- we just say "no thank you" & breeze right past them, (and never, EVER look directly into their eyes- they'll have you for sure if you do!)   ;)