Author Topic: Cleo 1997-2010  (Read 3053 times)

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
Cleo 1997-2010
« on: April 04, 2010, 06:26:05 AM »
It's odd to consider a dog as a production assistant, but she was always with me when I was recording.  When things didn't sound right, she would give me a unyielding, disgusted look and get up to leave the room.  If I turned it off, she would sit back down.  It meant hit the delete key and start over, or that it wasn't a good day for creativity.  She loved to hear me play anything, especially the sitar.  Her reactions were of genuine happiness when I pulled out the sitar case, and she would sit at me feet and roll over on her back and go to sleep when I played.

I found her when she was 6 weeks old and it was love at first sight.  Part Chow, part Bulldog.  She looked like a teddy bear.  She never did anything wrong, except for ridding the yard of armadillos in her own extreme way.  (And there was this incident with a carpet in that hotel in South Carolina, but we managed to cover up the whole by moving the dresser before we left.)   She cost us a lot of money in vet bills over the years.  The knee surgery, the thyroid condition, Adisson's disease.  But when you looked in those eyes, money didn't matter.  Nothing mattered.  She had this one trick.  "Look cute".  She earned her name, Cleo was short for Cleopatra.

In 13 years I trained her to bark when she wanted to go out, and she got really obnoxious sometimes.  This loud, relenless, ear piercing bark, when I was getting her leash.  She also had this natural talent for being a guard dog.  Simply put, if she didn't know you, and you attempted to enter our house holding something in your hand, she would let you know that such things "we're not allowed" in our house.  When she was at her prime, if someone visited, they had to pass inspection.  There were a few that she wouldn't let it.  Once you we're ok in her book, you were always ok.

She became very ill over the past few months, and this past month, she became very week.  There was extensive nerve dammage from the shoulders down, and she had lost all feeling on her right side.  The kidneys began to shut down, causing serious anemia.  We had made the decision that after the weekend, we would take her in Monday and do what dog owners sometimes must do.  Friday night, she laid on her bed, which I moved to the living room, and could only drink water.  I swear she had a huge smile on her face all night.  I woke at 3 am and she had gone to that great doggie heaven.  The only place I will be happy with, providing their is an after life.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
Re: Cleo 1997-2010
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:17:09 AM »
Nicely written, Wayne.  I'm sorry for your loss.
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 11:29:43 AM »
I watched a couple of films last night - Scream, Blacula, Scream - very campy, then after that, oddly enough, - Marley & Me - which left me a little choked up.

Sorry to hear about your dog passing, 13 years is alot for a dog. I used to have a cat that liked to sleep in my bathtub, then walk on my bed frame and put his purring face in my ear waking me up.

Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 11:41:12 AM »
Sorry for the loss of your friend, Wayne. It is always difficult to lose a pet. They give so much.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 01:53:19 PM »
Sorry for your loss. Dogs have a very special kind of conscience. If I believed in reincarnation, I would've said that they definitely have some vestige of a human soul trapped inside...a soul free of human deficiencies and imperfections.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 02:39:37 PM »
Sorry to hear it, Wayne. Always a very, very sad event.
We lost our "Roland" in a similar way a year ago, and only recently
have filled the void with a little mischievous mini schnauzer called Ginny.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 02:48:35 PM »
Sorry to hear it, man. Losing a dog is tough indeed. They have a way of bonding with humans.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 02:55:56 PM »
Sorry to hear. I know the feeling as I put a cat of 18 yrs down back in '06. I went pet-free for about 1.5 yrs and picked up a pair of males from a local shelter (rooney- longhaired, looks kinda like a coon cat, and curtise (was named kurt but my gf said he walks like a pimp lol - short haired and neither related) and they get along great (which really surprised my gf as she didn't they that they would do so well together considering their backgrounds/where they came from (and she's more up on cat stuff than I am). You do get attached and you do not realize it till it's that time. And it sucks, and I feel for you as I know what you went through and probably still are. I had mine cremated and will do the same with these two scamps and take em with me when I go (hopefully unless I get cremated too...then what to do!?!).

Peace.

Mike

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 05:23:35 AM »
Sorry to hear your news, your words convey your feelings and a wonderful image of her that touched me too.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 05:24:54 AM »
Wayne - very sorry to hear you lost Cleo.  You have many pet loving friends here.

John
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 06:30:21 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I don't know if I am imagining or projecting my feelings, but one of our other dogs, Ringo, seems to be taking it very hard.  He saw her fall last week one night when she tried to get up, and seemed to realize that she wasn't well.  It was a very quiet house this weekend.
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 06:47:07 AM »
We had two dogs for while...  Tippi - a schnauzer who we had about 5 years and was very, very ill near the end with diabetes and other problems.  We were giving her insulin shots every day and testing her blood  - and near the end we were giving her fluids at home (now that's a freaking huge freaking gigantic freaking... freaking - wow - needle... )

Anyway - Tippi reached a point where we had to put her to sleep - we'd reached a point where quality of life was getting poor and the possibilities of her getting better had reached an end.   Our other dog, London, who we had had for 15 years, definitely felt the loss.   She'd lost her friend and had been concerned while Tippi got sicker and sicker.   London passed away only 6 months later (she was 17 years old... and we also had to make that decision to end her suffering... )

Sad - my point wasn't to dwell on my dogs, although I suddenly did...  but to mention that yes, dogs feel the loss of members of the family.   London would look around the house for Tippi, looked very sad for a long time.

p.s.  Forgot to mention - but during the time we had London we also had a miniature longhair dachshund for a few years in the later 90's...  he ended up with a very nasty problem that took a long time to diagnose - we had surgery - and after a while realized that he just wasn't going to recover.   London would protect him when he wasn't feeling well... even after the first couple of years of him driving her nuts!  ha!   He always wanted to play and she didn't.  London definitely missed him.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 06:50:35 AM by jkn »
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Sighthound

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 07:25:18 AM »
Wayne, I feel your pain.  We had a Malta-poo that we lost at 13 years old.  Very special dog.  Followed me everywhere.  Stayed with me on the couch, when I cut grass or raked leaves.  Let her out to do her business, and she would come back in without prompting.  She stopped eating one day, and a couple of days later I came home from work and she got up off her bed and promptly fell over.  took her to the vets and she passed away 3 days later.  Just totally full of cancer.  Never complained once.  Cried like a baby when we went to see her for the last time.  They wiggle their way into your life and provide a wonderful source of love.  So sorry for your loss!!!

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 08:23:50 AM »
Wayne, sorry about the bad news.  It's sad to lose a beloved pet.  My sympathies.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 10:01:09 AM »
I'm so sorry, Wayne! My evil little black cat Theda and I were together for 17 years- we went through a LOT together. I loved her just as much as I've ever loved anyone in my life, and when she suddenly got very sick two Thanksgivings ago & I had to have her put to sleep, it was the most horrible thing I've ever had to do, seriously. My heart was completely broken and I cried non-stop for days, (and I still cry over her even now sometimes.)

I just wanted you to know that I really do know what you're going through...

((((((hugs)))))))

Oh, also- you're not imagining things- your other dog definitely knows what's going on, and will need a LOT of extra love and attention for awhile, if you can manage it...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:15:18 AM by lena »
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 10:46:59 AM »
I feel for you too Wayne,

Just over a month ago we had to put our cat Capi to sleep. My wife and I had her for 17 years and in less than a month she just went down hill rapidly with kidney failure and such. It was really tough and we still keep looking around the house for her forgetting that she is gone.

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 10:08:50 AM »
We had a cat a few years ago that developed 'dementia'. He would sit and yowl at the wall, try to eat plant pots and one day I found him sleeping in an inch of water in the washing up bowl.
If we went out of the house he would just yowl and yowl and yowl till we returned - luckily we lived in a cottage with no neighbours close enough to hear. If we went away for any length of time his 'condition' deteriorated and he was worse.
He stopped washing and became very smelly, he'd come into the room and he forgot to just come and sit on our laps, he'd move as if stalking, maybe taking an hour to get from door to chair - it was surprisingly very hard to remain patient with that behviour...
He was, until the end, fine while we were there, calm and relaxed if strangely behaved but after about two years of it getting worse and worse he was obviously distressed all the time and we decided to give him some peace.
He walked into the cat box, which was when I knew how ill he really was....got to the vets and with the smells and noises of the other animals he 'woke up' and looked at me as if to say, what am I doing here?. At which point I silently swore a few times before deciding to continue - every time he had a relatively normal period for a few minutes, he always slipped away again.

I held his head and looked into his eyes as he passed away, still brings tears to my own.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 12:09:36 PM »
Wayne, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. These canine critters really are special beasts.

Pete