Author Topic: RP-VERB (WOW)  (Read 3259 times)

Blackinfinity

RP-VERB (WOW)
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »
I just tried RP-VERB. To be honest, since I own Lexicon PCM Native already, I did not expect much from RP-VERB,  I thought I would have no use for this reverb.
But I must say, I was very surpised when I did try it out, according to me it sounds not far from the Lexicon, and the fact that both reverbs
have a lot parameters and that PCM native have 7 different algorithm to choose from makes it harder to compare, with tweaking it is possible to get them to sound more alike that is for sure..

But my first impression was, that the RP-VERB
Gives the typical "lexicon" sound but for only 149 dollars.  RP-VERB is one of the most smoothest reverbs I have heard, and when it comes to smoothness it is in the same league as Lexicon, you need to try it out yourself to believe me.
It is perfect to creat those big lush and floating soundscapes. It sounds perhaps more "cleaner" and more "fresh" then the Lexicon HALL.
The Clarity is good,, it definitely has an natural character and respect for the source audio, which is not common in budget reverbs.

I will keep RP-VERB for sure, I will use both PCM Native and RP-VERB in the future, they both complement each other, they both have a slightly different character suited for different sounds.  Lexicon is still a better reverb, cause it is highly flexible algorithms and modulation, you can shape it a lot more then RP-VERB, which makes it very hard to compare them, but RP definitely have it's own color...

Would be interesting to hear others reflections also. This is without any doubt the BEST budget reverb right now. Fuck Aether, fuck Masterverb, fuck EOS, nebula,  ArtsAcoustic,Breverb, Redline Reverb,  This is many times better.
If you ask me RP-VERB and the price is very generous, if they wanted they could sell it for a lot more..cause it can seriously compete with the more expensive reverbs on the market.

You can download the demo and try it yourself.
I can recommended  you begin with preset 052 "synth ambient longggggg".  (80D/100W)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:03:34 PM by Blackinfinity »

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: RP-VERB (WOW)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 05:16:45 PM »
Its certainly a very attractive interface, with a good set of controls.
I've been meaning to try it for some time. Good to hear some positive
comments about it. Papen does work with some good programmers. 
I will for sure give it a try soon.

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Blackinfinity

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 05:32:46 PM »
Its certainly a very attractive interface, with a good set of controls.
I've been meaning to try it for some time. Good to hear some positive
comments about it. Papen does work with some good programmers.  
I will for sure give it a try soon.

Yes do so...it sounds even better with the SPL Twintube with subtle saturation and harmonics added + SPL Vitilizer in the end of the chain...which makes it sparkle...

I would still not say that RP-VERB could replace PCM Native at all, Lexicon is a lot more complex, and adjustable and have all you need really...both have an professional high-end sound with it's own character ... But for certain type of sounds and color  RP-VERB can definitely compete...And for some people with less demands the RP-VERB could be the only thing they need. Unless you have an PCM96/pcm91 already RP-VERB will most likely be enough for you.  

Personally I will use both in my mixes, RP-VERB I will use when I want a more "smooth/clean" and "fresh" sound.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:38:20 PM by Blackinfinity »

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 06:39:34 PM »
So I take it this is a software reverb and as such it works well with Ableton Live Black? Not that I need one or can afford one at this time. Have to keep it in mind for possibly down the road.

Mike

Blackinfinity

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:52:18 PM »
So I take it this is a software reverb and as such it works well with Ableton Live Black? Not that I need one or can afford one at this time. Have to keep it in mind for possibly down the road.

Mike

It seem to work flawlessly in Ableton Live 8 so far.  But try the demo first...

Maybe I should add you might need some more post audio-processing with the RP-Reverb to get a more fuller dynamic sound.
the SPL Twintube is a good example...
The Lexicon already have this, cause it have a lot of modulation already (spin/wander etc), in general the Lexicon
sounds more layered in some cases (depending on your settings) ...that is why I consider RP-Reverb to have a more "clean" with a very smooth character.
Hard to describe in words, but in combination with SPL twintube/vitalizer it sounded just soo wonderful...which brings me to ecstasy..that is how beautiful the sound is.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:55:15 PM by Blackinfinity »

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 04:20:36 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.  I've been using ArtsAcoustic for years and while I love it, I've grown tired of it's "sound".
I'll definitely be checking this out.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Blackinfinity

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 02:37:30 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.  I've been using ArtsAcoustic for years and while I love it, I've grown tired of it's "sound".
I'll definitely be checking this out.

Did never understand the ArtAcoustic's "brilliance", for me it is too colored and metallic grainy. But I know it is very popular and many
pro-audio people are liking it...When I want that type of character I prefer Toraverb, another great reverb... Robert Rich did recommend it for instance...he likes it.
It is not an universal reverb but good for certain sound-environments/atmospherics

BTW Altus, I really need to check out your music, you have released a lot of albums, not sure where to begin.