Author Topic: Maalbeek - The album's first 15 minutes  (Read 1794 times)

matthew

Maalbeek - The album's first 15 minutes
« on: April 19, 2010, 04:22:33 AM »
In 2008 h/s recordings released my album Maalbeek which received a little attention at the time. Unfortunately I was very absorbed in work at that time and did not promote it much. I know it's rather self-involved to say so, but I do think the album could have been received better, had more people known about it.

Until now, one track (the album's second) has been available, but Maalbeek is a difficult album to catch in just one track. The music adds or even contradict itself in each following cue. Much like the forest area that the album is named after where the vegetation, swamps and density vary in a relatively compact space. It's littered with world war II bunkers, deep and sudden gorge's, even a rail road and small mining facility that lights up the night sky like an underwater station. I used to walk it often at night, the most striking memory that of a full moon emerging from under a deck of clouds, bathing the darkened forest in the most beautiful light imaginable.

I'm hoping that sharing a bit more from this album might give a better understanding, hopefully even interest for it. Neither myself nor the label has ever received any "money" or salary from our releases, instead we always save up towards releasing more music. Sometimes those break-even, sometimes they make a little profit, sometimes they loose us a little money. Basically, our fans (the buying audience) decides when we can release our next album. For me personally, I'm hoping it will be this year as I have a new album completed and ready for pressing.

Maalbeek

Track 1: Belfeld   

Track 2: Smelt    

Album page:        http://www.matthewflorianz.com/maalbeek.html

Maalbeek is sold through our partner, where short clips from each track are also available:
http://www.shopsonic.com/product_details.php?id=1200 and selected online retailers.

Selected review quote's:

"... it bears all the hallmarks of Florianzís ability of translate the mood and feeling in his mind into music for others to experience. Maalbeek itself, like all of Florianzís work, is completely unrushed and slowly and deliberately unfolds and expands at just the right pace ..." - Paul Lloyd for Igloo Magazine

"... I would choose to classify the music of Matthew Florianz as ambient traditionalist or rather, "originalist", in the sense that he maintains an unsettling, sombre tone throughout his work, restricts his palette, and like Brian Eno and Harold Budd before him, creates atmospheres and "landscapes" hitherto unheard and only possible to visit through sound. Shut your eyes and you shall see ..." - Stephen Fruitman for Sonumu

Thanks!

Matthew Florianz
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:04:12 AM by Matthew Florianz »

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
Re: Maalbeek - The album's first 15 minutes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 10:36:34 PM »
Sorry to hear about the lackluster reception. For what it's worth, I think it's a stunning album and one of my favorites by you. Captures that deep forest (no, not the band) vibe amazingly well. I don't have that many friends who "get" ambient, but I'll try to spread the word about Maalbeek as best as I can.

Best of luck. A new album this year would certainly be tasty.
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:33:04 PM »
For what it's worth, I think it's a stunning album

Hear hear!  Maalbeek is an excellent disc with great ambiguous atmospheres.  Was listening to Florianz' Grijsgebied release under the "Liquid Morphine" name this evening, which I found via emusic.  Another fine release that reminded me a bit of the dronier elements of Phaedra-era Tangerine Dream.

Forrest

matthew

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:16:11 AM »
EDIT: It has since been brought to my attention by several forum members that EMUSIC is NOT giving away music and is in fact a subscription based site. I apologize for this error on my part and obviously it changes the content of this post a bit.  Still, I left it as it was and added this short EDIT as I feel that's the best way to apologize to both emusic and ffcal.

Hello Ein Sophistry and ffcal, thank you for the kind words and I am really happy to read you enjoy the music. I may come across a bit "down" from it all, but keep in mind that I believe it was a result of a lack of promotion on my part. Many reviews of my work talk about it as "flying under the radar", "never heard of" and so on, this is me trying to fix that.

Myself, I had never heard of emusic and just found out it is a legit looking place, giving away my music for free. I am not sure what makes them think they can do that as we sure need album sales to fund new releases. I get regular mail/messages from people saying they downloaded my music and obviously like it enough to contact me and it's hard to respond to that. More so when I am ready to release more music and can't yet do so because we're still waiting for the last album to reach a certain threshold. This is not in any way your fault ffcal, I know you supported my work so I really don't mind and I must say the fact you like my earliest album release brings a far greater smile than the fact you where able to download it ; ) A comparison with early Tangerine Dream is quite a compliment as I really enjoy their early work myself.

I am not an ostrich, people like the convenience of downloading, so do I. For me the lesson is to work harder for that one sale, build up a group of "fans" and make sure people understand full well that buying an album helps release the next one. Other artists and myself on h/s recordings need to deliver "good enough" albums. We must do a lot better on promotion and let people know about the above "details". And well that's what this text right here is meant for. I am not depressed or even feeling negative about it, it's far more interesting to approach this as a challenge and see what I can do about it, I certainly haven't done nearly enough in the past!

So thanks!

Matthew

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 08:28:27 AM by Matthew Florianz »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »
Matthew,

eMusic is not a pirate blog/website--it's legit.  It's a subscription based-site (I pay roughly $12 a month for the equivalent of 30 song downloads; most albums of any appreciable length count as 12 downloads).  Two of my own albums are up on eMusic, too.  It does not pay as high a royalty as some of the other sites, but it's definitely a legal site.

Forrest

matthew

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 02:17:31 AM »
Hi Forrest,

Thanks for the clarification!

Matthew

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 07:02:20 AM »
I just listened to Maalbeek.  Beautiful record.

I am a former subscriber to emusic.  It's one of the best download sites for independent music but they don't support lossless files.

I'm curious as I am sure you are how they are offering your music without your permission, Mr. Florianz.

BTW Shopsonic.com is a good site too and they offer free shipping to the U.S. for orders over a certain dollar amount.

Jim

matthew

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 08:36:17 AM »
Hello Jim,

Well, it was an error on my part to assume that emusic was in any way offering my work for free, so appologies for the wrong assumption on my part and making emusic appear in such a negative context. From all the feedback I am getting (thanks!) they appear to offer a great service indeed.

I'm still looking into the hows and why, but I assume it is done by one of the partners of h/s recordings. Shopsonic indeed is also a partner of h/s recordings albums.

Thank you also for the kind words about Maalbeek, it is very good to read the album is apparently not quite as obscure as I had assumed.
This whole thread is becoming a showcase for "wrongfull pre-assumptiousnes</I>" : ) 

Matthe
w

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 09:31:07 AM »
Had a look at your website, Matthew- those Maalbeek photos are stunning in their beauty...

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 09:55:13 AM »
...and I just listened to the first 2 tracks, and I am very impressed! Now I'm off to order the disc...  thanks Matthew, for posting this Maalbeek thread.

matthew

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 01:46:41 PM »
Hey Joe R,

Thanks, that's very much appreciated! One step closer to a new album release even : )

I hope you like the album.

Matthew

matthew

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 11:54:36 AM »
This thread has sparked a new review for Maalbeek;

"...the gentle and smooth fading of the intense free form textures within the imaginary and carefully rendered ambient musings is eminent, as is a strong sense of remoteness embedded deep within..."

Read it in full here:
http://www.sonicimmersion.org/review.php?letter=F&review=71979