Author Topic: Free speech samples  (Read 4289 times)

Stellardrone

• View Profile
    • Stellardrone's official website
Free speech samples
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:14:55 AM »
Does anyone know were to get free speech samples, like from apollo, NASA, other speeches about space/astronomy, even random movies one-liners etc.
I know there was BBC library CD's, but nothing interesting there (to my opinion). Also I had Great World Speeches (or something like that), also not very useful to me, used only one or two speeches.

By the way, I am not interested in acapellas  :D Prefer one-liners, or just some spoken sentences.

Also there is a way to pirate a movie from the internet and then convert video to audio, cut desireble speech with audacity etc... but it takes too much efforts and time.

::)

triksterb

• View Profile
Re: Free speech samples
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 02:07:24 PM »
Have a look at this: freesound.org 

Specifically, this page: http://www.freesound.org/tagsView.php  There's tags for speech, along with voice, speak, and other tags related to talking.  Some of it is already processed into something else, but there are a few short sentences and speeches here and there.  I found a 30 minute speech on there once that had 3 different presenters, so I got a lot of material from those 30 minutes.  You do have to register an free account to download, but I think it's worth it for the number of great samples the site has.

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 04:26:33 AM »
Freesound is an awesome resource.

If you're looking for NASA stuff, you can get tons of recordings off their site.
I just typed 'nasa recordings' into Google, and this came up:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/a11_audio_db.html

I'm going to assume they had a catalogue like this for all their missions if you hunt on their site.
Just be careful using NASA stuff directly, it's very cliché... but I'm sure you knew that already.  ;)
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 06:03:04 AM »
The Internet Archive has recordings of US presidents speaking, both "important" historical stuff and mundane day-to-day nuts and bolts stuff, sometimes stretches with just pops and hisses.
www.archive.org/details/presidential_recordings

I have raided the JFK recordings and liked the scratchiness in the recordings and the musical quality in his voice.

MikeS

Stellardrone

• View Profile
    • Stellardrone's official website
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 08:02:34 AM »
Yeah, thanks, Altus, that's what I needed. I knew this NASA site long time ago but couldn't find any downloadable stuff (dumb me), or maybe entered wrong keywords. They had many broadcasts, like interviews etc and they were not useful to me. ;D So I decided that there were no samples.

Thanks to others too :)

I rarely use samples, but I think some will be good for my one or two tracks that I'm making now for my next album. And I know it's very overused in electronic music community, so will try to keep it at minimum and as unnoticeable as possible :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 08:10:15 AM by Stellardrone »