Author Topic: This new SMF forum  (Read 44189 times)

Seren

• View Profile
Re: This new SMF forum
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2008, 03:14:59 PM »
this board has a different karma system to mine, on mine you have total that goes up or down as you are given positive/negative karma respectively, and as admin I can see who has done so.

I would let it run for a while and see how it goes, as it will probably take time to bed in

I hope Jez does not mind me commenting but it does seem to work well on the Modulator forum, which has public and private areas. It is quite a close knit community which results in members gigging together like at the Hampshire jam Jam in October.

Undershadow

« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2008, 11:10:49 PM »
I'm not sure why the karma system was discontinued if no-one had a problem with it.
It seems to me it's worth continuing with it if noone has objected, since the idea of allowing users to give 'kudos' to other users might ultimately promote a sense of being a good contributor to the community. Conversely, it enables instances of fatuousness and inanity to be registered more 'democractically' rather than being simply left to arbitrary moderator intervention. Of course, if you don't have a sense of the communitarian on these forums, then you won't give a toss. Call me a tosser, if you like ;)

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
I'm not sure why the karma system was discontinued if no-one had a problem with it.
It seems to me it's worth continuing with it if noone has objected, since the idea of allowing users to give 'kudos' to other users might ultimately promote a sense of being a good contributor to the community. Conversely, it enables instances of fatuousness and inanity to be registered more 'democractically' rather than being simply left to arbitrary moderator intervention. Of course, if you don't have a sense of the communitarian on these forums, then you won't give a toss. Call me a tosser, if you like ;)

Okay, you're a tosser ;D (sorry, I simply couldn't resist, so I guess I'M the tosser)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2008, 11:40:51 AM »
Nobody's really speaking up one way or another on the karma issue so I don't know how to gauge whether people would rather have it, or rather not have it, or don't care at all.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2008, 01:56:59 PM »
Nobody's really speaking up one way or another on the karma issue so I don't know how to gauge whether people would rather have it, or rather not have it, or don't care at all.

Sorry to be so neutral or indifferent, but I can take it or leave it. Yes, getting karma points is nice and getting negatives is icky, but what the hell...I can't get too worked up over someone nicking me because they didn't like what I wrote. I just think that, to be fair, if someone here has a serious issue with something I write (or anyone, for that matter) they'll be direct and upfront and either email me or confront me publicly in the forum. I think giving someone nicks anonymously is, well to be blunt, chicken-shit.

Just my two cents and frankly, Mike, whatever you decide is fine with me, honestly.

Undershadow

« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2008, 09:22:18 PM »
It seems to me it's worth continuing with it if noone has objected, since the idea of allowing users to give 'kudos' to other users might ultimately promote a sense of being a good contributor to the community. [...]

I think that counts as speaking up for it.