Author Topic: This new SMF forum  (Read 43743 times)

kawera

• View Profile
Re: This new SMF forum
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2007, 03:48:23 PM »
Too bad about the old forum and all the posts. It was actually a very good source of information. I searched through it for discussions of artists every now and then and something interesting nearly always surfaced.

Anyhow, I'm glad the forum is back!  :)

//Kasper

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2007, 03:57:53 PM »
Believe me, I'm as sorry as anyone about the loss of legacy Forum content... if I was just going to start fresh like this, I could have saved myself a couple dozen hours work and just done that at the beginning.

But I'm trying to remember, this place will fill up quickly with new members and new content, and the most interesting old ideas will be brought up here again, I think.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

cromag

• Just slightly off-topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2007, 04:23:31 PM »
Glad to see the forum up and running.  Always fun to have ... interesting ... and unexpected ... tasks pop up in the holiday season!

I for one have no problem with the light blue theme, other than it is exactly like another (Simple Machines) forum I post on, and I'm easily confused!

Thanks again for your effort!  I appreciate it!
Science News, Vol. 175, No. 9, April 25, 2009, page 1 -- "New mapping of the human genome shows none of us are normal."

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2007, 04:51:44 PM »
Believe me, I'm as sorry as anyone about the loss of legacy Forum content... if I was just going to start fresh like this, I could have saved myself a couple dozen hours work and just done that at the beginning.

But I'm trying to remember, this place will fill up quickly with new members and new content, and the most interesting old ideas will be brought up here again, I think.

I thought that the Wayback Machine might help - but no go.
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.hypnos.com/phpbb/

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2007, 05:15:46 PM »
I'm very gratified that there are already 30 members signed up, in just the few hours since this new location was made public.

I've been posting the announcement around, so that news should continue to spread.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

drkappa

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2007, 05:21:27 PM »
Test message to say I like the blue.

Dare one ask what happened to the backups? ???

I'm running under Centos4 Firefox.  What's Firebox?
Malcolm Currie
   If you have been...

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »
"What about the backups?" is a much longer and more tiring story than I'm prepared to tell right now.  Let's just say that most of the Hypnos site, the kind that resides in discrete files (html, php, txt, jpg and so on) that I can upload and download, is well and frequently backed-up.  The data underlying the Hypnos Forum is a batch of complex mySQL data kept in a huge file on the web site host's server, and that part is not readily backed-up by the user (or at least I didn't know how to do it until now). Worse, in the course of trying to comply with the web host's complete lockdown of that data, I deleted a bunch of old, redundant data (like the old, old Hypnos Forum on UBB software), as well as one bit of not-old, not-redundant data that was crucial to the running of the Forum. 

The story of why I can't get the web hosts to just restore the database to its prior state, is the long, tiring and depressing part.  Let's just say I have come to truly hate the web hosting company that hosts hypnos.com, and that they will not be hosting the site much longer, but in the mean time, the Hypnos Forum as we know it will just have to start fresh.  Maybe if I hadn't been banging my head up against the brick wall that is ValueWeb tech support for the past 2 days, I would have been able to solve this problem more elegantly.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 05:35:16 PM by mgriffin »

einstein36

• View Profile
Re: Test topic, new SMF forum
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2007, 05:59:47 PM »
oh oh oh...what am I???:)

Yeah, I sent you an email complaining about the blue. Too washy/faded, and messes with the white text.
And the blue on posts blends the different posts too much. I'd look for a theme with a bit more differentiation.

And as I also said in the email, I don't mind being a moderator ... I'm checking the forum a lot and wield a mean lightsabre. Everything I know I learned form Obi-John  ;D

APK
-------------------

What are you talking about?  You're already a Global Moderator, see?
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2007, 06:02:11 PM »
hehehe..I thought it was, 'Can you hear me now':)

Hello. Is this thing on?
So pale bue and white is The New Black, I see  ;)
Nnnniiiice.

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2007, 06:06:33 PM »
Damn...I am a 'newbie' again:) hahahah

Yeah, I sent you an email complaining about the blue. Too washy/faded, and messes with the white text.
And the blue on posts blends the different posts too much. I'd look for a theme with a bit more differentiation.

And as I also said in the email, I don't mind being a moderator ... I'm checking the forum a lot and wield a mean lightsabre. Everything I know I learned form Obi-John  ;D

APK
-------------------

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2007, 06:35:27 PM »
One nice thing about the updated forum software is I can consistently log into the forum now.  For some reason Vista, Firefox and the old forum didn't like each other and I could only log in 25% of the time.
It's a shame to have lost everything, but like you said, it'll all come back sooner or later.

Thanks for your hard work in getting back online!   ;D
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2007, 06:37:38 PM »
Damn...I am a 'newbie' again:) hahahah

APK
-------------------

darren, you have always been and will always be a newbie.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2007, 06:38:51 PM »
One little annoying thing I have noticed is that after posting a reply in this new forum is that it takes you back to post number 1 instead of taking you to the last post and if the thread happens to be 4 or more pages, this can be annoying...
Any way to fix this???

"What about the backups?" is a much longer and more tiring story than I'm prepared to tell right now.  Let's just say that most of the Hypnos site, the kind that resides in discrete files (html, php, txt, jpg and so on) that I can upload and download, is well and frequently backed-up.  The data underlying the Hypnos Forum is a batch of complex mySQL data kept in a huge file on the web site host's server, and that part is not readily backed-up by the user (or at least I didn't know how to do it until now). Worse, in the course of trying to comply with the web host's complete lockdown of that data, I deleted a bunch of old, redundant data (like the old, old Hypnos Forum on UBB software), as well as one bit of not-old, not-redundant data that was crucial to the running of the Forum. 

The story of why I can't get the web hosts to just restore the database to its prior state, is the long, tiring and depressing part.  Let's just say I have come to truly hate the web hosting company that hosts hypnos.com, and that they will not be hosting the site much longer, but in the mean time, the Hypnos Forum as we know it will just have to start fresh.  Maybe if I hadn't been banging my head up against the brick wall that is ValueWeb tech support for the past 2 days, I would have been able to solve this problem more elegantly.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2007, 06:56:04 PM »
Just testing the einstein36 problem. Ah, yes ....

einstein ... try going to your profile and checking that "return to topics after posting" is checked (in Look and Layout).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 06:58:33 PM by apk »
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2007, 08:00:46 PM »
Anyone having any access problems at all?  It's worked fine all day, and I just experienced a few glitches, and received an email from someone who said they tried to sign up, and couldn't connect.  Now it seems completely fine again.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2007, 08:18:31 PM »
My first time trying  to reply to a thread it went no where. And then later it dropped me so I had to log in again. Maybe its just growing pains .  ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2007, 08:27:03 PM »
Just trying the new forum out for size. I like the color scheme, my aging eyes can handle it but I don't think the preview works yet. I can see the previous replies by other members but not mine.

Steve
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2007, 08:32:45 PM »
Thanks..will try that...

einstein ... try going to your profile and checking that "return to topics after posting" is checked (in Look and Layout).

einstein36

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2007, 08:33:06 PM »
Yay...it worked:)...

Thanks..will try that...

MarkJohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2007, 09:42:27 PM »
Anyone having any access problems at all?  It's worked fine all day, and I just experienced a few glitches, and received an email from someone who said they tried to sign up, and couldn't connect.  Now it seems completely fine again.

I registered and left a few posts without encountering any problems. Everything seems to be working as intended.