Author Topic: Really strange Facebook stuff (maybe!)  (Read 7985 times)

ambient789

• View Profile
Really strange Facebook stuff (maybe!)
« on: April 28, 2010, 08:06:25 PM »
Two sections to this:

First ---

As odd as it may seem, this geek doesn't have much time for social networking.
I have other crap to deal with (I try to certify on different tech products) and Facebook isn't that secure, at least in my opinion.

So when my aunt sent me an invite it surprised me who was in the "people you may know" section.

A former co worker from when I worked at a private company in the city where my aunt lives.

A man I believe to be the husband of another co worker from same, and

a musician whom I did business with a long time ago and who is probably known to some of you--New Age/World/Fusion artist Paul Avgerinos.

How freaky is that???

Section two (This is most odd!):

I got an email from the former co worker that was on the facebook "people who may know" page. It was in my spam folder (that never happened before). The message went on about a nice, new iPhone/mobile computing device he has.

Could I be orbiting Facebook's "virtual gravity well" (I mean that they have some of my personal info) and not really know it? I googled "facebook marketing methods" to see if I could find anything about lists they may have and didn't find anything useful.

Look, I'm not doing any bashing here. If you enjoy Facebook, fine. But I just tend to be a bit skeptical about it. I'm something of a loner at times and I don't believe that all of my life should be on display for the rest of the world to see. Could I email this former co-worker and tell him that I don't really want to know about his latest gadgets and whatnot without offending him?

I'm so involved with technology and related issues that it's keeping me from getting sleep!!!!

Blackinfinity

Re: Really strange Facebook stuff (maybe!)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:30:08 PM »
You have all reason to be skeptical  about Facebook. If you ask me you should avoid this site, it is an catastrophe for your privacy and  integrity.

Facebook have one agenda, and that is to monitor social networks and our digital lives, and store and sell this information.
People in general are too naive to not realize this.  Also the government in most i-countries does monitor the site as well..just as companies... and most likely your boss too, and when you search for a job...they will most likely google your facebook... A lot of people that you might not want to have insight in your social networks and digital life can easily get access to it.

It is really horrifying how people can be so naive and open in our digital lifes, I can't understand how people can be so open, and write blogs, which documents your entire life in detail. It seem like everyone have a blog and twitter right now...luckily I am not part of any of this. I am more careful online...I have many different identities... only my closets circle know my real identity, I would never make my real identity "public" like people do on facebook. Myspace Is something totally different though...cause you do not need to use your real identity or at least not share your real name.

And that is it almost impossible to remove yourself from the site...in fact..
it is not possible...you can only inactivate your account but you cannot remove your profile totally.

And you must give your real name and birthday number... when you sign up...
Already then the all warnings clocks are ringing..
The fact that every one is using their real names with pictures and everything...is if you ask me...is brain dead.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:33:01 PM by Blackinfinity »

ffcal

• View Profile

Blackinfinity

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:48:23 PM »

Blackinfinity

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 10:29:46 PM »
ambient789,

Facebook has been in the news lately about privacy, and not in a good way.  Here's an example:

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/04/report-facebook-ceo-mark-zuckerberg-doesnt-believe-in-privacy/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29

Forrest

Yes exactly...I wish more people did read this article..

But it is not only Facebook that is the problem...But the biggest problems is the site where you have to sign up to use...
or have to choice to do so...Every site you visit have banners... and in many cases also tracking cookies are installed
without your awareness.  They use all this information to monitor your every move on the web...and monitor
exactely what site you visit..so they can personalize the banners for every users, but most important of all, sell this information
of your internet habits to other companies. Personal Information like this is worth a lot.  This is another reason why to make sure to get an good
ad blocker...

Also in most mordern countries now even in Sweden, the government does monitor all your Google searches and all email headers...

Luckily though there is solution to be anonymous on the web. The number of VPN services has just exploded the last year...
Most VPNs will however slow down your internet very much though..but there is good services out there if you look hard enough...
Often the most popular and biggest VPN services are flooded and slow already. Also make sure to read their privacy policies...
It can be hard to find an VPN that does not save any logs... IVACY does not save logs for instance...

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 09:39:21 AM »
I must be an idiot, but I love Facebook.  I live 1100 miles from most of my friends and family; FB is an excellent way to stay in touch with all of them, without the "fragmentation" that email chains tend to do when there are more than two people in the email chain.  It's a great way to share pictures and other info with large groups of people, without the need to contact each of them.  If used correctly, it's like you and all your friends having your own private websites, all connected, that only your little group can access.  I see that as a good thing.

My birthdate is not in the system; I used 1/1/1900.  My security settings are tight; if you're not a friend, you can't see much of my info.  However, I do have friends who haven't figured out all the security settings; one woman even has her home address available for all the world to see.  That's just stupid.

I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 09:53:54 AM »
SunDummy brings up an important point.  On Facebook, it's not enough to protect your own information.  Their system constantly prods Facebook members not only to provide their own information, but the information of all their friends.  As soon as you sign up, Facebook volunteers to sort through your email contacts and tell you which of your friends are already members.  Many people take advantage of this "help," and provide all kinds of information about you and me without our permission.

Later, Facebook continues to pester you about granting information about all your Facebook friends to its various applications.  When a friend sends you a virtual flower, or a virtual cocktail, or asks you to join their Mafia Wars game, before you accept, read the fine print.  You're authorizing Facebook and its partners to utilize your own information AND that of all your friends.

Never, ever post anything to Facebook, not even in private messages or chat or "private" or restricted areas, that you wouldn't be 100% OK seeing in the hands of a stranger.  There is no such thing as privacy on Facebook, only the illusion created by these restrictions you sometimes bump into.  But just because I can't see Jane Smith's picture page, doesn't mean she should consider her information secure.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Stellardrone

• View Profile
    • Stellardrone's official website
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 04:54:18 PM »
it took quite some time for me to understand how to hide all possible information I don't want anybody (except my friends) to see. In my humble opinion, if you want complete privacy - do not use internet. It's a public place and much more than that, actually. So I share my private information carefuly but not paranoically, because I wouldn't use facebook at all.

ambient789

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 07:52:03 PM »
I'll reply in the aggregate:

Certainly I understand Stellardrone's point. It isn't practical for me to quit using the Internet. After all, I would then not be talking with all of you!  :)  Needless to say, I certainly don't have accounts with every site out there!

Certainly, if I ever find it necessary to do social networking, I'll make sure to do A LOT of research first!

Forrest, I read the Wired article. I'll just say that I hope that Mr. Zuckerberg gains some wisdom in the coming years.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 12:21:20 PM »
Two recent articles on the subject of Facebook's privacy policies.

Facebook's Eroding Privacy Policy: A Timeline
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/04/facebook-timeline/

10 Reasons To Delete Your Facebook Account
http://www.businessinsider.com/10-reasons-to-delete-your-facebook-account-2010-5

I'll say it again: don't put anything on Facebook, not in your profile and not in any of the messaging systems, that you wouldn't feel comfortable being shared with every spammer, marketer, or identity thief on the planet.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Blackinfinity

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 01:14:50 PM »
http://pulse2.com/2010/07/13/paul-ceglia-files-lawsuit-against-facebook-claiming-to-own-84-of-the-company/

Not sure what this would mean in practice for us anti-facebook people. I doubt that Paul Ceglia has any intention to put an end to Facebook...however with another owner it might mean that the site respect our privacy and integrity more...As we know Mark Zuckerberg is an extremely dangerous person to run a site of this magnitude.

Anyway it makes me happy that Mark is in trouble..he certainly deserves it..